PDA

View Full Version : welding?

danski26
06-15-2007, 03:07 PM
I want to learn how to weld. I have access to what my father in-law calls a "stick welder". Does anyone have any suggestions for books or manuals to get me started? Maybe someone has some old text books collecting dust in there shop? Any help would be appreciated. Oh.....father in-law has then welder but does not know how to weld so thats a dead end for me. Thanks

Uncle R.
06-15-2007, 04:34 PM
If there's a tech college or community college in your area they probably offer inexpensive "adult education" evening classes and that would be a great way to learn to stick weld. It's one of those "hands-on" kind of things that's easier to learn by doing (and watching a pro) than by reading a book. Don't be bashful - there will probably be students from 18 to 80 years old in the classes. Those classes are nothing like a "normal" school. Everyone enrolled is there because he wants to learn so they don't need the chicken sheet rules that you may have experienced in your elementary days.
I did it myself many years ago and the instructor for my welding classes was top-notch. He'd been a production welder himself for decades and there wasm't much that old boy couldn't do - and teach.
Uncle R.

grumpy one
06-15-2007, 08:10 PM
I had a very basic trades school course in both stick and gas welding as an undergrad, but didn't really learn anything until quite a few years later when I found I needed to weld. I messed up jobs and wasted materials, and talked to experts occasionally, until I gradually became less bad at it. It was rather like learning programming, and electronic design, and accounting: start with some theory, and follow with as much practice as necessary. In all four of those areas, for me quite a lot of practice was necessary: my first efforts were hopeless, despite having "taken the course" before I started. The more difficult it is, the better you feel when you eventually get the hang of it.

JohnH
06-15-2007, 09:45 PM
While it really won't matter to you at this point, a DC machine will run smoother and make nicer looking wleds overall than an AC machine will. Go to your local auto parts shop or welding shop or welding supply shop and get 10 pounds of 3/32" 7014 rods. Get a pile of scrap metal that's 1/4" thick, set the machine on 75-85 amps DC, 65-70 on AC; and burn the rods till you can make passes that look good. Expect ot burn at least 50 pounds before you get a good handle on running in a given position (flat, horizontal, vertical, overhead) Stick welding is a true art form, it requires a steady hand, a good eye and practice, practice, practice. The two main things you are controlling are the arc length (distance from the end of the rod to the work) and the travel speed. If you are moving too fast you will get a bead that is narrow and tall with undercut on each side. If you are moving too slow, you will get a bead that is excessively fat. In a perfect world your bead should be about twice as wide as the rod diameter (3/16" wide with 3/32" rods) though that can vary slightly. Check out your neighborhood library, you'll be surprised at what can be found there. The biggest single trick is developing the knack of starting the arc without the rod simply sticking to the work. Persistance at your practicing is the only solution. Good Luck.

Mk42gunner
06-15-2007, 11:40 PM
I will add a big second to the DC and 7014 being easier to use.

Years ago with an AC welder I could stick stuff together but it looked like crap. Fast forward to about two years ago, my cousin gave me an old Lincoln pipeline welder (DC), and about 150 pounds of rod mainly 6010 and 6013. all of a sudden I could weld!

My neighbor had me weld some gate hinges and had me try his 7014 rod, it is so much easier to make a good looking weld that it is not even funny.

I don't understand why most people say to start with 6011 or 6013. Granted, if you can make good welds with these rods you can weld with about anything; but confidence goes up with success too.

Robert

454PB
06-16-2007, 12:05 AM
I second the opinion that welding is "hands on", and can't be learned from any book. However, reading metallurgy and weld theory is important and valuable.

I've been welding for 35 years, it was required by my work. About 10 years ago, the company I worked for decided that all welding HAD to be done by a certified welder. In order to become certified, I had to have my ego smashed flat. The instructor/tester was a master welder and certified metallurgist, and actually made his living inspecting welds on nuclear reactors. Of course he had welded on reactors and high pressure gas lines for years in his youth. Although he could embarrass any welder trying to pass his tests, he was also a terrific instructor and a nice guy.

It took me about two years total, but I eventually became certified in all positions, both GMAW and SMAW (gas and stick).

As with all skills, if you don't do it on a daily basis, you lose the touch. I still mess around in my own shop, and have both a stick and a wire welder.

If you can find anyone that can teach you the basics, you can practice and melt rod until you become a passable home welder, but if you want to save a lot of time and rod, sign up for an adult education course.

danski26
06-16-2007, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the advice guys.....i'll look into the adult education course at my local tech school.

Lee
06-16-2007, 04:02 AM
And after you've done all that. Keep your wellding rods dry and sealed. They will strike and burn much better than that old batch of rod that's been sitting on the shelf in the garage. Moisture is the rods worst enemy. Trust me on that one.....Lee:wink:

johnp
06-22-2007, 08:42 AM
Welding is just like making love. Once you know what to do the rest is just practice till you get it right.

Take a class at the comm. college or get a buddy that knows how to weld to show you the basics.

scrapcan
06-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Don't rule out the local high school either. You may be able to drop in on the industrial arts teacher if they have an industrial arts program. sometimes they will have adult community ed classes. or you can strike up the idea and see if they will spend a few hours a week with you.

Another options is going to your local welding supply house and see what they have available for the home hobbyist. Also check ou the websites for the welding machine manufacturers the sometimes ahve good educaiton materials and some offer courses throughout their territories.

I also agree with the above statements. Burning rod is the only way to be proficient with a stick welder (or any other type of non robotic welding for that matter).

joatmon
06-22-2007, 10:25 AM
johnp wife says if line one is true then line two is way off course!
FIRST no practiceing away from home!
SECOND practiceing with a buddy_ _ _ _ _ _ well we won't go there!

mainiac
06-22-2007, 09:49 PM
I want to learn how to weld. I have access to what my father in-law calls a "stick welder". Does anyone have any suggestions for books or manuals to get me started? Maybe someone has some old text books collecting dust in there shop? Any help would be appreciated. Oh.....father in-law has then welder but does not know how to weld so thats a dead end for me. Thanks

Learn to stick weld, and then if its something you enjoy, you have to try tig- welding. Tig is the true gentlemens welding. Take some night-school classes,and 100 lbs of rods later, youll figure it out.

danski26
06-22-2007, 11:27 PM
I picked up my father in laws welder tody. WOW its heavy! I had to get it off the back of my truck alone and it was not fun!

It is a Lincoln "lincwelder" AC180K. For output it says 180Amps at 25 volts.

What am I going to be able to do with this? Is this a good welder? It looks a little rough around the edges. Is this something worth putting work into or you think just get started with it then move on?

454PB
06-23-2007, 12:16 AM
That's a good welder....it's AC, but still a good machine. DC is much easier to use, but also more expensive and even heavier. The duty cycle on most of the "buzzbox" welders is usually only 20% to 25%, so you have to keep that in mind when working on a project.

johnp
06-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Half the world has been welded together with one of those buzzboxes. As long as the cooling motor comes on when you turn it on and the rod sparks when you strike it on the metal (with the ground clamp attached of course) you are good to go. I guess other than maybe a lighting strike the things don't break. The cooling fan is the only moving part in them.
Go get some rods and have at it.

44woody
06-24-2007, 08:00 PM
when my pastor found out I was making smokers he asked me how I was putting them together I told him I was bolting them he asked me if I wanted a welder so I got me a welder with no idea of how to use it went and got me some rods and a auto darking mask which is a far better mask than the old style of mask which he had given me one of with the auto dark mask I improved a great deal I not the best but I can make what I wield stay together you can see what you are doing a lot better :castmine: 44Woody

leftiye
06-25-2007, 01:22 AM
As woody said "Try it you'll Like it!" I taught myself to weld, and it works okay. Have made truck beds, trailers, screen doorz (tough ones), and all kindsa thangz. Get some rod, and experiment some. Get a text book at the local JC, and learn what makes a weld good. Then practice so you can do what you read.