PDA

View Full Version : Just stole a rifle.......

waco
11-15-2012, 12:46 AM
A friend of my fathers had some guns in pawn. He was going to lose them. My dad asked him if we could give him some money ( a small fee) to get them out, for us to purchase. He agreed. So, I bought a like new Remington 700, heavy 24" barrel, .308 wrapped in a McMillan stock, fully adjustable, with a 9" Harris bipod, and leupold Vari X III 3.5x10 50mm with mil dot. Sweet trigger, and just 60 rounds put through it. I took it home for $600
Can't wait to get it to the range.
What do you think the scope & stock alone are worth?
Very happy with the purchase. Hope she shoots!!!!!

tomme boy
11-15-2012, 12:50 AM
$500 for scope, $350-650 for stock depending on which one and what extras were put on it. $500 for barreled action.

So, ya, ya stole it!

Artful
11-15-2012, 12:56 AM
I'd be happy

9.3X62AL
11-15-2012, 01:16 AM
I'm glad you were able to redeem the rifle at such a good price. I'm doubly glad you got it from one of those blood-sucking parasitic thieves-with-lobbyists before he/she could double their money on your friend's misfortunes. I find pawnbrokers to be about one click to the right of drug dealers when it comes to predators who feed fatly on the failings of poor and working people. And NO, I don't care to debate the matter.

Your rifle sounds near-identical to the units my old agency's SWAT team uses--same action and scope, for certain.

HighHook
11-15-2012, 07:25 AM
Those blood suckers were probably counting their money on that rifle till you showed up. Great going on that fine rifle.
Let us know how it shoots...

captaint
11-15-2012, 10:10 AM
That's a deal I would have jumped on - both feet. Ya did good. Go shoot it and let us know how you do. .308 heavy barrel - perfect. enjoy Mike

sw282
11-15-2012, 11:55 AM
My local pawn/ffl deals in guns n gold. His gold scale reads about 4 grains "light". Jokes about it too. Says its his built in appraisel fee.

God was wise when he built Hell. lts gonna get a lot of use too

MT Chambers
11-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Yup, I'm glad you took advantage of your fathers friend.

Ben
11-15-2012, 01:39 PM
9.3X62AL

I'm glad you were able to redeem the rifle at such a good price. I'm doubly glad you got it from one of those blood-sucking parasitic thieves-with-lobbyists before he/she could double their money on your friend's misfortunes. I find pawnbrokers to be about one click to the right of drug dealers when it comes to predators who feed fatly on the failings of poor and working people. And NO, I don't care to debate the matter.

Yes, and you can add " Title Pawn " to the list of individuals who prey on the poor.

Gibson
11-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Indeed. Those wonderful Steinbeckian characters who trek down to the local pawnshop. The downtrodden and poor. The degenerate gamblers, the drug addicted filth, the thief, all of which one can daily encounter in pawn shops nationwide.

All, without doubt, are hardworking poor that were merely unfortunate enough to get in a jam. . .

For the sake of an example: The poor unfortunate who daily makes a grab at the local Walmart, to pawn, but let's face it, it's not really his fault it's the fault of "THE MAN", for holding him down and/or overcharging. . . Well, that, or it's the fault of his drug addiction, which is quite clearly a misfortune (like a pathogen) that befall him through no fault of his own, or maybe it's his "NEED" to get a large bet down on the OVER in the Lakers game. He can't help it.

Such a simplistic dichotomy. . .

Usury has been practiced in this world by both respected and less than respected folk.

Honest hardworking poor who have truly encountered misfortune are FAR from the only pawnshop clientele.

762 shooter
11-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Waco,

Since you have confessed to stealing I invoke "Citizen's Arrest".

I will have to impound the items in my saf...er I mean evidence locker until your case can be heard.

Nice score and I'm glad the friend got some of that money.

waco
11-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Yup, I'm glad you took advantage of your fathers friend.

My dads cb radio buddy would be more like it. Not really anyone he knows all that well. He had some guns in pawn because he got laid off because he got a DUII.
He was going to loose the guns regardless. He needed $400 to get the gun out, and wanted $100 for himself. I offered to give him $200, because it was still a smoking deal for me.

Gibson
11-15-2012, 02:52 PM
He had some guns in pawn because he got laid off because he got a DUII.

:shock:

Quod
Erat
Demonstrandum

HighHook
11-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Drinking and driving is like the old term "Russian Roulette"

The 10k no-joke pullover is probably 20-30k if you have to start pawning guns and stuff

EMC45
11-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Not all pawnshops are scumbags. I got a near identical rifle for the tidy sum of $425 OTD. HS Precision stock, 14X Leupold heavy barrel .308 Rem PSS. Less than a box of ammo shot through it.

9.3X62AL
11-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Honest hardworking poor who have truly encountered misfortune are FAR from the only pawnshop clientele.

No doubt about it. I guess part of my disgust has to do with CA's insulation-by-law of pawnbrokers from having done business with known thieves--sort of a "no-fault fencing license". Early in my LEO career, if we found known stolen property in a pawnshop, we had the right and obligation to seize such items in order to return it to its rightful owner. And ask pointed questions about the pawnbroker's client population, too. Within the past decade, that changed--LEOs can only identify such items--place holds on them--and advise victims of the property's location--at the pawnshop. The pawnbroker then charges the crime victim for all costs incurred by the pawnshop, to include pledge amount--interest--and documentation fees. And DROS fees (again) if the item in question is a firearm.

The whole deal just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

garym1a2
11-15-2012, 07:49 PM
they do this B.S. in Florida too. If stuff is stolen from me than I have to pay to get it back from a pawn shop. Pawns shops must have the best lobbist money can buy.

No doubt about it. I guess part of my disgust has to do with CA's insulation-by-law of pawnbrokers from having done business with known thieves--sort of a "no-fault fencing license". Early in my LEO career, if we found known stolen property in a pawnshop, we had the right and obligation to seize such items in order to return it to its rightful owner. And ask pointed questions about the pawnbroker's client population, too. Within the past decade, that changed--LEOs can only identify such items--place holds on them--and advise victims of the property's location--at the pawnshop. The pawnbroker then charges the crime victim for all costs incurred by the pawnshop, to include pledge amount--interest--and documentation fees. And DROS fees (again) if the item in question is a firearm.

garym1a2
11-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Guys that pawn a gun have lost it rather you buy it or someone else. The other ones you gave back to him will be gone in short order.

My dads cb radio buddy would be more like it. Not really anyone he knows all that well. He had some guns in pawn because he got laid off because he got a DUII.
He was going to loose the guns regardless. He needed $400 to get the gun out, and wanted $100 for himself. I offered to give him $200, because it was still a smoking deal for me.

Gibson
11-15-2012, 08:19 PM

Pretty crappy, IMO.

I understand your indignation.

Though it would seem your indignation is actually directed to legislators and/or the cretins who elect them. Assuming the state legislators there are elected. . .

9.3X62AL
11-15-2012, 11:09 PM
The whole kit & kaboodle give me heartburn, Gibson. Pawnbrokers--their lobby--the legislators--the works. At least crooks make little pretense of being anything other than scofflaws.

Waco--enjoy that rifle, sir. You came by it in a good way, for all the right reasons.

jdgabbard
11-16-2012, 09:43 AM
My local pawn/ffl deals in guns n gold. His gold scale reads about 4 grains "light". Jokes about it too. Says its his built in appraisel fee.

Thats why when I buy and sell gold, especially scrap, I take my own scale and electronic tester (I have a Tri-Electronics GT-4000), along with my iphone which has the current prices by the gram/ozt. Because things of that nature happen all too often when you're dealing in precious metals. I don't mind a man making a buck, but I do mind a man flat out stealing. And when we're talking grams, we're talking hundreds of dollars.

jdgabbard
11-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Drinking and driving is like the old term "Russian Roulette"

The 10k no-joke pullover is probably 20-30k if you have to start pawning guns and stuff

The best part is that they just recently did a study, and evaluated the traffic accidents. Drunk Drivers actually cause less accidents per capita than a sober driver. As a matter of fact, in that article I was reading, they are almost twice as likely to not have a wreck. The only reason that we even have the DUI charge, is because of MADD, and I'm sure that there are more mothers who loose their children to sober drivers than the drunk kind. Yet you don't see them taking cars away from the public.

And for the record, no, I do not drink and drive.

Shiloh
11-16-2012, 01:21 PM

And he's a crook.
My first jewelry shop was in a pawn shop. The electronic scales to measure grams, carats, and pennyweights were spot on. There is money to be made without phony scales.

Shiloh

gandydancer
11-16-2012, 01:35 PM

Your rifle sounds near-identical to the units my old agency's SWAT team uses--same action and scope, for certain.
Come on. Tell us how you really feel. :bigsmyl2::kidding:

quasi
11-16-2012, 04:11 PM
that would be a smoking deal in these parts.

waco
11-17-2012, 01:48 PM
So the scope on this rifle is a Leupold Vari X III 3.5 x 10 50mm EFR
What does EFR stand for?
Is this a higher end Leupold?
Waco

whisler
11-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Are you sure that isn't EER for Extended Eye Relief?

Aje
11-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Hi guys first post here or on any forum actually.

EFR Stands for Extended Focus Range.

The EFR scopes were generally used for airguns or rimfire rifles because they allow you to focus down to around 10 yards.
The Vari-x III were pretty good scopes similar to todays vx-II

Aje

Lance Boyle
11-23-2012, 02:09 PM

Yep, same thing here. My mom had some wedding gift silver stolen and she tracked it down to a pawnshop and Id'd the seller by description as my sister's then BF's son who was over for Thanksgiving dinner 3 years ago. Police and DA' would do nothing as the silver wasn't marked and the pawnshop quickly ebayed it away after the police were in. The risk should be on the pawnshop for dealing with the theives. 17-18 year old kid selling a silver table service, no nothing suspicious there.

Lance Boyle
11-23-2012, 02:12 PM
And he's a crook.
My first jewelry shop was in a pawn shop. The electronic scales to measure grams, carats, and pennyweights were spot on. There is money to be made without phony scales. They get an annual sticker applied to the scale date punched just like the state's car inspection stickers.

Shiloh

yep, in NY we have a bureau of weights and standards. Anything commercial sale related and they're required to check them; scrap yard scales, gas pump volumes, deli scales, etc.

You want to mess with that gold broker, bring your own check weights.

Lance Boyle
11-23-2012, 02:16 PM
I got a screaming good deal on a 1961 Colt Python 4" blued from a fellow at work. He's an older gent that works part time and used to be a part time cop decades ago. He came to the point that he didn't want it around anymore and wanted me to buy it for $300. I gave him $400 only because that's what I had to spare at the time and fully disclosed that he could probably get $7,8, or 1k. Turns out it was fair in the end, I had to send it out to get the barrel re indexed, it was over timed. With fedX shipping being what is on handguns I paid nearly $200 more in shipping and the work on replacing the damaged front sight. I'm still happy as heck though.

HangFireW8
11-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Drunk drivers have more injury and fatality accidents. The only thing the article proves is that drunks are driving scared now.

HF

fcvan
11-23-2012, 02:58 PM
I have a buddy who was working at two pawn shops part time. He worked off a bunch of dandy toys rather than taking a paycheck (he's retired). After a while, he couldn't stand the way the shops were 'ripping people off' on their deals so he quit. On the one hand folks who go to a pawn shop knowingly enter into a crappy deal. On the other hand some pawn shops are just as described above - fencing operations.

The only pawn shop I would frequent was run by a retired cop. Folks with hot stuff would go to another pawn shop that didn't have a patrol unit parked outside at least daily. One detective buddy of mine used the pawn shop as a place to meet confidential informants because it was inconspicuous to the seedier folk.

As far as firearms purchases go, the pawn shop had great deals on new guns and would order anything you wanted at cost plus $50. Used guns were checked/tracked carefully and sometimes they were pretty nice pieces. Personally, I'd rather buy a gun from a private party and use the pawn shop to process the paperwork. The shop gets their $50 and the owner gets what he wants for the gun. I've transferred several guns that way through the pawn shop but have never bought a gun they acquired from a pawn deal that expired. Frank

waco
12-06-2012, 01:36 AM
finally got to go shoot the .308
150gr Sierra Spitz over 48gr of W748
WLRP
5 rounds @ 100 yards
.840"
these were just thrown together loads
time to neck size, play with some premium bullets, and different powders
not too bad for the first time out though, im happy
http://s886.beta.photobucket.com/user/waltercoats/media/EA742C50-1FB3-4235-9BAB-41DE5798FC2B-2800-000003F0FA4512F6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Gibson
12-06-2012, 02:25 AM
Not too bad? I'd call it fine shooting.

Enjoy.

762 shooter
12-06-2012, 06:31 PM
That pawn dog will hunt.

waco
06-18-2013, 07:18 PM
1974 LC brass
38.5 H4895
WLRP
Sierra 168 match kings
COL 1.900"
Five shot groups all day around .600"
Best so far, .325"
Love this rifle!
I'll be taking it out camping in a couple weeks to try some steel targets at distance.
500 yards and beyond.

Nickle
06-18-2013, 08:11 PM
A pawn shop is like the character playing Odie Wan in Star Wars describes the bar on Tattoine.

I could bash pawn shops, but his description of the bar is better.

Thankfully, they're not legal in my state. And, I consider them "a few clicks LEFT of drug dealers". Scum hiding behind politicians and lobbyists put the screws to the public is what they are. Nothing more than "legal" "fences".

Nickle
06-18-2013, 08:13 PM
By the way, nice gun, and good job! The owner got a far better deal than he had, and though he took a beating financially is was the lesser of the two possible. Better you have it than the thieves in the pawn shop.

Dale in Louisiana
06-18-2013, 09:30 PM
The best part is that they just recently did a study, and evaluated the traffic accidents. Drunk Drivers actually cause less accidents per capita than a sober driver. As a matter of fact, in that article I was reading, they are almost twice as likely to not have a wreck. The only reason that we even have the DUI charge, is because of MADD, and I'm sure that there are more mothers who loose their children to sober drivers than the drunk kind. Yet you don't see them taking cars away from the public.

And for the record, no, I do not drink and drive.

Then you've heard of that OTHER lobby group, DAMM (Drunks Against Mad Mothers)

dale in Louisiana

lightman
06-18-2013, 09:45 PM
Nice catch! You can't go wrong with a Remington 700. Lightman

9.3X62AL
06-18-2013, 11:52 PM
That rifle seems to like you, too, Waco!

The 168 grain Matchkings are a fine fit to that platform. Run 46.5 grains of WW-748 under those bullets in W-W brass using WLR primers. Set the bullet ogive about .025"-.030" off the leade origin, too. In my 308s, this was a duplicator of ballistics & performance to the Federal Gold Match ammo we were issued at work, but used brass that was stronger and longer-lasting than the soft Federal stuff. Figure on 2625-2650 FPS from a 24" barrel.

You know the gig.......start from 10% below, and all that lawyer-driven backwash. Have fun!

Jtarm
06-24-2013, 07:21 PM

Report his *** to the state. Pawn brokers have to put up a bond (like six figures) for precisely that reason. It is forfeit if they get caught doing stuff like that.

My family likes to watch that Pawn Stars (an oxymoron!) and it is interesting to see the things people bring in, but I don't know why on earth someone would sell a big-ticket item to pawn scum who're gonna give them maybe 40% actual value.