PDA

View Full Version : Wounded Warrior Project rejects gun-owners, gun organizations, gun manufacturers

Recluse
11-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Breaking news. . .

I thought maybe I'd woken up on the wrong planet when a buddy of mine from south Texas called me, then e-mailed me this exchange between Tom Gresham (Gun Talk) and the Wounded Warrior Project.

Made a call to WWP and it's true.

I told them (WWP) where to go, how to get there, when to get off and what to do on the way there.

Here is the exchange. . .

:coffee:

Wounded Warrior Project Email Exchange

by Gun Talk on Tuesday, November 13, 2012 at 10:56am ·

After Sunday's show, we've gotten many emails about Tom's remarks after WWP declined an interview request on Gun Talk Radio because it's a firearms-related show. We've also seen the forums that are suggesting many things that are not true. So, I'm going to lay it all out right here.

We thought it would be great to book the WWP on the Veteran's Day show to promote the organization, so I contacted them. I was flabbergasted when their PR contact, Leslie, sent me an email saying they could not participate because our show dealt with firearms. Knowing that WWP has a booth at SHOT show and various gun shows across the US, takes wounded warriors on hunts and range days, raffles guns and accessories as fundraisers, etc., their policy didn't make much sense. I forwarded the email on to Tom to get his take.

-Sarah

The following is the complete email exchange:
====================
Hello, Leslie:
Sarah forwarded me your email after I asked her to invite the Wounded Warriors Project to join me on "Tom Gresham's Gun Talk" radio show.
I'm stunned at your email saying that the WWP doesn't participate in an interview or activity related to firearms. Inasmuch as there are 90 million gun owners and most of them support wounded veterans, I think they would be shocked to hear that they are, by way of their hobbies, somehow not worthy of helping with the Wounded Warriors Project.
Does your policy apply also to police agencies and the military, since they are "related to firearms?"
I'm hoping that we have misunderstood your email. Can you confirm that it is, in fact, an official policy of the Wounded Warriors Project to not do interviews with or participate in any activity related to firearms?
Thank you.
Tom Gresham

============
Good afternoon -
While we appreciate your interest in Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) you are correct that we decline the media opportunity.

Please note the following notice that appears on our website which also applies to WWP public awareness policy and inquiries from media outlets:
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/additional-opportunities.aspx
WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies.
Thank you for your inquiry.
LESLIE A. COLEMAN
public relations director
O: 904.405.1433
M: 904.654.8138
F: 904.296.7347

Wounded Warrior Project
4899 Belfort Road, Suite 300
Jacksonville, Florida 32256

====================
Thanks for confirming that, Leslie. It was a simple opportunity to promote the WWP on a national program in an effort to send donations your way.
I'll pass along the info that you don't want or need the help of America's gun owners.
Best regards,
Tom Gresham
=====================
Good morning --
This policy is not a judgment on those who own and use firearms – clearly every member of our armed forces has been trained in the use of firearms and then called on to use them in the course of their service to this country.
Our position regarding firearms and alcohol is in response to the struggles that many injured service members face with substance abuse and suicide and the roles those items often play in those issues.
Thank you.
LESLIE A. COLEMAN
public relations director
=============================
Hello, Leslie:
Thank you for that explanation.
I do think -- and I'm being as kind as possible -- that it's the nuttiest thing I've heard in years. Suicides are not linked to firearms. Japan has a much higher rate of suicide than does the U.S., and they have essentially no firearms. Suicide is a serious issue irrespective of the methodology used.
This explanation doesn't pass even the most simple "does this make sense" test.
Your policy does, in fact, brand firearms and the companies which make them as undesirables, and by association, you are saying that those who own and use firearms for recreation, hunting, self protection, and other safe and legal uses are to be avoided.
It's certainly your option to ostracize the firearms industry, the 90 million gun owners in America, and the media which support firearms safety training.
At this point, I feel an obligation to make sure the millions who listen to my radio show and watch my two national television series know about your policy.
I cannot fully express how much I feel you are doing a disservice to our wounded veterans, and how disappointed I am to discover this bias at the Wounded Warriors Project.
Sincerely,
Tom Gresham

popper
11-13-2012, 05:01 PM
I haven't listened to Grisham's show much but have been a doner to WWP. I need to reconsider. I will take the vote is Fl and their location into consideration. Note that the local TV news has gotten into that act also.
substance abuse and suicide and the roles those items often play in those issues. So they don't take donations from Co or Wa either. Kind of like the Komen thing me thinks. Wife has a cousin who wasn't wounded in Nam but LOVES his drugs. Also likes all the welfare he can get.

Dean D.
11-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Thanks for sharing this J.D., it saddens and angers me all at the same time. I cannot comment further and remain within the guidelines of this forum... [smilie=b:

btroj
11-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Why do these organizations try so hard to alienate such a large portion of their potential donors?

Boerrancher
11-13-2012, 05:33 PM
I can't say much about the wounded warrior project, never dealt with them, though I did in the past use the services of The Coalition to Salute America's Hero's. They were a great organization that aided my wife and family both with financial assistance, and with the mountains of paper work that was required to get my retirement straightened out while I was recovering from my injuries. I send them money every chance I get simply because even though I know I will in no way be able to pay them back for what they did for my family, the money I give will be added to others money to help some other Vet's family.

Best wishes,

Joe

imashooter2
11-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Staff collected donations for the WWP at every USPSA match I shot this year. I somehow doubt that WWP turned down the tainted money.

Ed Barrett
11-13-2012, 05:39 PM
It is very sad, with an attitude toward us like that, I believe they have seen the last of my money.

justingrosche
11-13-2012, 05:46 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if Leslie Coleman was unemployed tomorrow morning. This doesn't make a bit of sense.

popper
11-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Coalition to Salute America's Hero's yes, another good one. WWP will get a nice(?) letter instead of a check next time.

Bad Water Bill
11-13-2012, 09:29 PM
As someone who has lost a wife and 30 years later her daughter to suicide A gun is not necessary. When someone decides to end it all most will use anything to do the deed. A piece of broken window glass,razor blade,a gal of gasoline and many other ways come to mind.

To single out a single item for doing the deed is just showing you have a particular axe to grind and will use every opportunity to advance your own position.

If the lady truly wants to help folks with ANY sort of suicidal tendencies there are better places for her EMPLOYMENT.

I think someone should quickly show her and any others of her type out the door.

Crawdaddy
11-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Not sure what to say about this one. It is obviously a worthy cause tainted by an asinine policy.

Should we support the cause or not? Dunno.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Recluse
11-13-2012, 09:58 PM

As a veteran, I REFUSE to support ANY organization that coattails on our sacrifices and struggles in order advance a liberal PC agenda.

Goatwhiskers
11-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Amen, J. D., Amen. Goat

bearcove
11-13-2012, 10:28 PM
As a veteran, I REFUSE to support ANY organization that coattails on our sacrifices and struggles in order advance a liberal PC agenda.

That sums it up for me too. They can get stuffed.

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Our gun club has been donating 500 bucks a year to the WWP, this email will be shared at the next meeting next Tuesday.

snuffy
11-13-2012, 10:32 PM
I recently "joined" the WWP, sent them 19 bucks with a commitment for 19$ every month.

In return I got a WWP "blanket" Ha ha. A thin rag about the size of a beach towel with a poorly done screen print with their logo.

Now I feel I should block their access to my bank account.

I bet it's some dames private agenda surfacing. Notice every request for info was answered by the same dame? I wonder if the head honcho knows how many people he has ready to withdraw their support?

What was that guys name, Zumbo or some such, dissing on the AR platform as a non-sporting rifle? Uncle Ted straightened him out, but he lost all his sponsors for his column.

I saw this on the firing line and a couple of other forums just recently. It's a worthy cause, but loosing every would-be contributor, or having supporters withdraw current support from the gun community, can't be good.

Ken73
11-13-2012, 10:37 PM
I donated to them a while back and always touted them as being a great organization. This is ****, and I will be sure to let them know they will never receive another penny from me.

Recluse
11-13-2012, 10:52 PM
I bet it's some dames private agenda surfacing. Notice every request for info was answered by the same dame? I wonder if the head honcho knows how many people he has ready to withdraw their support?

Snuffy,

Leslie Coleman is the public information officer for the organization. All she does is regurgitate the talking points or policies that are set by the Board of Directors. She didn't make this policy--she only communicates it and enforces it in the event of media relations matters, such as with Tom Gresham's show request.

However, she agrees with it or else she would resigned, so I have zero sympathy with any vitriol she receives.

I've sat on too many non-profit organizations boards and I know that we were rarely ever "called out" on our policies or opinions. Of course, I would never have agreed to or advanced a loony liberal PC policy or stance either.

The Board of Directors for WWP either set up this policy, or they allowed it to become part of the organization's by-laws.

Doesn't matter a damned bit which way it was or is to me. Fact is, they are a bunch of cowardly hypocrites and they are coattailing on the backs of injured, disabled and/or traumatized U.S. servicemen and women--and that is bull you-know-what.

Bad Water Bill
11-13-2012, 11:12 PM
I can't say much about the wounded warrior project, never dealt with them, though I did in the past use the services of The Coalition to Salute America's Hero's. They were a great organization that aided my wife and family both with financial assistance, and with the mountains of paper work that was required to get my retirement straightened out while I was recovering from my injuries. I send them money every chance I get simply because even though I know I will in no way be able to pay them back for what they did for my family, the money I give will be added to others money to help some other Vet's family.

Best wishes,

Joe

Sally Ann's president earns about $18,000 per year. Most of the others donate their time and expertise.

I could not list all of the projects they have going

I do remember one where they took criminals on probation provided shelter,food and clothing while helping them find a job where they could learn a REAL profession.

You broke their rules or curfew and back to the slammer you went. Very few went back to jail. It worked for Sally Ann. the parolees and the rest of us that have to pay the bill to keep them in jail.

And all of this with a leader that only gets $18,000 per year.

starmac
11-13-2012, 11:38 PM
I could be wrong, but I think some outfitters here have taken wounded warriors on handicapped hunting trips here. Is this a new policy change?

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-14-2012, 04:23 AM
As a 100% disabled Vietnam Veteran, I find this reprehensible on the part of the WWP.

I let them know how I felt, the response should be very enlightening...

missionary5155
11-14-2012, 06:19 AM
Good morning
Thank you for printing this. I failed to read all of the organizations "purpose" statement.
I will hearby withdraw all my suport for them to include kayaking the North Fork River.
Also good to read the commo about The Coalition to salute Americas Heros. Will look into that one.
Mike in ILL

Shepherd2
11-14-2012, 08:23 AM
This really surprises me. I've been a frequent donor to the WWP. That ended today.

jr545
11-14-2012, 08:52 AM
I would like to suggest the Semper Fi Fund or Fisher House for those looking to change charitable organizations.
WWF will never again see a thin dime from me or my company.

Geraldo
11-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Semper Fi rates higher, but has far less money than WWP. Fisher House is a great organization.

At any rate, I'd rather push WWP to change their policy than not support them. They did a lot for a friend's son who was wounded, and for a lot of other Marines he knows. Cutting them off makes your political point but takes away from soldiers and Marines, so count me out on the boycott.

Hamish
11-14-2012, 10:23 AM
All I want to know is how and where to put the most amount of pressure on the leaders of the organization so that they learn the lesson permanently.

Disgraceful.

Tazman1602
11-14-2012, 10:39 AM
I can't believe I just read that one Recluse.................disgusting

Art

snuffy
11-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Doesn't matter a damned bit which way it was or is to me. Fact is, they are a bunch of cowardly hypocrites and they are coattailing on the backs of injured, disabled and/or traumatized U.S. servicemen and women--and that is bull you-know-what.

Yeah, I-know-what! That's a crime right there. USING wounded vets to further a PC-liberal cause just ain't gonna cut it with me.

I bet they re-think their "policy", but the damage is done! There's a thread running on THR, it has a post from Tom Gresham himself, along with the emails to and from MS Coleman.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=684293

Another post there says the head honcho makes 300 K+/year to run the show. I sure don't like to think my donation is going to pay some fat anti-gun liberals huge salary![smilie=b:

They'll take money from a special commemorative rifle, but not from a radio/TV show?

http://www.historicalarmory.com/national-editions/wounded-warrior.pdf

Echo
11-14-2012, 12:02 PM
I've supported them in the past - no more.

Carolina Cast Bullets
11-14-2012, 12:07 PM
You might want to "rethink" your contributions to the American Red Cross as well.

The CEO of the ARC draws a salary of over $400,000 per year. Wonder where that comes from?

Before anyone jumps all over me, take a look at this link:

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_charities_salaries.htm

Scroll down to the "fast forward to 2010" part of the link. You may be
surprised to see the numbers. The "disclaimer" at the end of the link about
"attracting" competent leadership also does not hold water, at least for me.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

Crawdaddy
11-14-2012, 12:13 PM
I just sent them an email with my concens over their policies.

captain-03
11-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Look here -- this should also make you mad!!

Here is where the $320,000 paid to Executive Director comes from ... ..... look at their overhead expenses and ..................

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=12842

NO - they will not turn down your money regardless of where it comes from. Our gun club sent in donations to purchase some return home kits for the wounded ... they cashed the check!!

Carolina Cast Bullets
11-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Link is inoperative as of 30 seconds ago

captain-03
11-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Link is inoperative as of 30 seconds ago

Try it now --

WWP is also catching hell on FB ..

http://www.facebook.com/wwpinc.fans?ref=ts

rockrat
11-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Our gun club, at our meeting last night, talked about having a rifle match to benefit veterans and WWP was going to be one of the recipients of donations.

I will put a stop to any funds going to WWP, and direct it elsewhere

montana_charlie
11-14-2012, 01:42 PM
When selecting organizations to donate to, my wife and I research how they use the funds received.
While I don't have a full breakdown handy for Wounded Warriors, our research showed that they pay their CEo an astounding salary.

Of course, it's their job to determine if he is worth that much to their goal of supporting wounded vets.
But it seems to indicate that Wounded Warriors exists for it's own benefit ... and provides help vets in order to continue to exist.

CM

Harter66
11-14-2012, 01:53 PM
This must be a new change. Sons of Guns did an entire show dedicated to the effort,a year or so ago.

I almost ponied up time an space for them in refection I'm kinda glad X1 spent all the money..........

Larry Gibson
11-14-2012, 07:32 PM
As a 100% disabled Vietnam Veteran, I find this reprehensible on the part of the WWP.

I let them know how I felt, the response should be very enlightening...

Idaho

Unfortuneately you and I (90% disabled Viet Nam Vet) are of the wrong war.........Having talked with a couple WWP "reps" I doubt they care much about us or what we think......go figure........

Larry Gibson

Denver
11-14-2012, 10:12 PM
I sent WWP a couple donations in the past. Almost immediately the mail was filled with solicitations from other charities, most of which I had not heard of before.

Bad Water Bill
11-14-2012, 11:14 PM
They SOLD your name and made some more money.

geargnasher
11-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Very disturbing. The only thing that concerns me is the tone of Mr. Gresham's last two communications above, they seem sort of 'loaded', no pun intended of course. I wouldn't draw any conclusions until seeing written policy from WWP, or having communications with the president of the board.

I have a friend who followed the yellow footprints three years ago and was promptly blown up by an IED in Afghanistan, took him a year to learn how to walk again. WWP paid for his mother to fly to Hawaii from Texas twice to visit him and support him through not only healing, but through an ugly divorce on her rare breaks from working as a full-time school teacher and martial arts instructor. They paid some other things, too, I don't know the full extent, but she was in tears telling me how much they helped them both through this. This is my only real impression of the organization, just a second-hand impression that they can do a whole lot of good, as I'm sure other similar organizations are.

I say this because, like Geraldo pointed out above, the best solution to this issue might just be to lean really hard on them to get the facts, and go true Not-For-Profit if they're indeed skimming so much off the top as it appears. I'm not all about cutting off heads or boycotting a good, if somewhat confused, organization.

Now I AM ready to cut ties with the US as a state, but that's different. We've been trying to fix the issues there for years and years and it just keeps getting worse. There is no other option in that instance, but some things can still be changed to be more agreeable and just rather than destroyed.

Gear

Roundnoser
11-15-2012, 12:50 AM
I did some digging around, and found a couple of news articles about this. I have sent an E-mail to WWP asking for clarification, and forwarded a copy to Bill Oreilly (I know he is a big contributor to this fund). Maybe if some of the big donors, and some of us "little people" make enough stink, they will abandon what is a very stupid and insulting policy. I am an 8-year Army (Infantry) vet, and served a combat tour in SW Asia. This policy should be an insult to any service members or their families...especially those who sacrificed life or limb.

There is no need for them to be political. I find it glaringly ironic that American soldiers and sailors fight for our freedoms, which includes the 2nd Amendment, but the WWP excludes groups that exercise those rights!(???) Very pathetic.

WILCO
11-15-2012, 01:30 AM
Not sure what to say about this one. It is obviously a worthy cause tainted by an asinine policy.

I'll vote with my wallet and pass on this group.

snuffy
11-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Developing story;

http://www.examiner.com/article/wounded-warrior-project-faces-fallout-after-snubbing-gun-talk

http://professionaloutdoormedia.org/node/7384

The second link seems to be a carefully worded apology, well almost! We'll see. If they do indeed bring a guest of Tom Gresham's show, he/she had better choose his/her words carefully. They have a lot of repair work to do! Thier reputation has been badly damaged.

I'm in a wait-and-see mode. I haven't stopped my donations-----YET. I'll try to find Tom's show on my radio, then remember to listen on Sunday.

Recluse
11-15-2012, 02:02 PM
When they publicly--and on the record in their by-laws--change their "We want your money but we don't want to be associated or seen with you" policy, then and only then will I even THINK about reconsidering whether or not to put them on the list of charities we support.

They blew it with our family big time.

crabo
11-15-2012, 06:03 PM
I get paid once a month and pay all my bills and donations at the first. I glad I have a couple of weeks to see if my contributions are going to continue or not.

Recluse
11-16-2012, 03:00 AM
Leslie A. Coleman
Public Relations Director
Wounded Warrior Project

Ms. Coleman:

Given Wounded Warrior Project's recent "coming out of the closet" in regards to gun-manufacturers, gun-organizations and guns in general, and compounded by an Obama-like non-response response to legitimate inquiries and direct questioning about WWP's all-take and no-give relationship with the gun industry, we are foregoing our generous annual Christmas donations to WWP.

As a veteran myself, my stance on the Second Amendment while I was in uniform was that I swore an oath to the entire Constitution and thus, there was no "stance" about it. I offered up my very being up to and including my life in defense of those rights.

For WWP to weasel out of that under the guise of "suicide" does a tremendous disservice to every veteran since the founding of this nation. We will therefore re-direct our ongoing contributions and donations to more worthy veterans' causes that are more in line and supportive of the very Constitution that we as veterans all swore to protect and defend.

J.D. Kinman
Dallas, Texas

arkypete
11-16-2012, 08:33 AM
I've done work for the Families of the Wounded amd Paralyzed Veterans. The Families of the Wounded was real simple, collect money for the wounded familes to live on while their hero recovers. For the Paralyzed Vets at Mcguire I collected books and magazines which the rejected because they were about guns, hunting, history. Well, I'm sorry that's what my friends and acquaintances read. and most if not all are vets.
I will continue to help the guys and thier families, the bureaucrats can bloody well stuff it.

Jim

11-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Like the others, I feel anger that the PC folks have infiltrated such a worthy org. This, hopefully will be soon stopped by eliminating those responsible from their office.

1Shirt
11-17-2012, 03:12 PM
This is just goofy!
1Shirt!

km101
11-17-2012, 08:41 PM
I feel like I have been mugged! I have donated to the WWP through various channels including diredt donations, raffles, and donations to specific projects. These have all been at or through gun related events. Now to find that they (WWP) have take this position of dis-association, and apparent reversal of previous policies just amazes me. How could they be so stupid?

NO MORE! I will not donate or support this organization because I dont feel that I can trust them now.

Bad Water Bill
11-17-2012, 11:36 PM
I stole this story today and posted it in a Illinois gun site. Within 4 hours here were some replies.

http://www.examiner.com/article/wounded-warrior-flap-a-misunderstanding-blown-out-of-proportion-says-official?cid=db_articles
http://www.examiner.com/article/wounded-warrior-flap-a-misunderstanding-blown-out-of-proportion-says-official?cid=db_articles
http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=3456

It should be an interesting interview if you can connect with the show.[smilie=w:

Be warned there are a couple popups there.

We gun owners have POWER sometimes. Especially when their PAYCHECK is in danger.

Here is the site if anyone in Illinois is interested in our CCW fight

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/

Artful
11-17-2012, 11:59 PM
This was a good read
http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=3456

Wounded Warrior Project (WWP) is in full damage-control mode as gun owners from across America are expressing outrage at the manner with which the WWP’s public relations director Leslie Coleman dismissively rejected an invitation for Wounded Warrior Project to appear on the nationally-syndicated Gun Talk Radio hosted by Tom Gresham on Veteran’s Day last weekend.

WWP reversed themselves earlier this week and sought a new invitation to appear on Gresham’s Gun Talk Radio, seeking to bring a wounded warrior to speak about the WWP organization, but Gresham declined that and told the WWP people that any appearances will be there solely to discuss WWP’s policies about media appearances.

We’ve been told by WWP staff and by published reports at the Examiner that the Executive Director of Wounded Warrior Project, Steven Nardizzi, will appear this Sunday on Gun Talk Radio. Gun Talk Radio can be heard on Sundays from 1 to 4 p.m. Central time on more than 137 stations nationwide, on XM (Ch. 165) Satellite Radio or via live streaming over the internet.

The whole brouhaha began with Gresham inviting WWP to come onto his show in Veteran’s Day. In a series of emails back and forth, WWP’s director of public relations Leslie Coleman declined the invitation, and stated that, “you are correct that we decline the media opportunity. …WWP does not co-brand, create cause marketing campaigns or receive a percentage or a portion of proceeds from companies in which the product or message is sexual, political or religious in nature, or from alcohol or firearms companies.”

In a subsequent email, Ms. Coleman continued to dig herself in deeper, writing, “Our position regarding firearms and alcohol is in response to the struggles that many injured service members face with substance abuse and suicide and the roles those items often play in those issues.”

Literally the same day the email exchange was made public, Wounded Warrior began receiving the wrath of angry gun owners. Overnight, the situation went viral, endangering the entire Wounded Warrior operation.

I'll be listening tomorrow to see what kind of hole they fill in or dig deeper.

starmac
11-18-2012, 12:17 AM
We gun owners have POWER sometimes. Especially when their PAYCHECK is in danger.

Think about this, just how many people that don't believe in guns are supporting any soldiers.
Look at liberals donation track records, even if they believe in firearms, they only give others money.

nicholst55
11-18-2012, 12:24 AM

We need to find out who Leslie works for, and then all 90 million of us need to mail them a voided check. Politely explain that we had intended to make a contribution, but since we're evil gun owners we wouldn't want to trouble them with our tainted money. I'll bet they change that policy the very same day...

Recluse
11-18-2012, 12:38 AM
I'd like to hear Nardizzi explain to ALL veterans how "dedicated" the organization is to wounded vets when:

A. Only EIGHTEEN CENTS on the dollar goes towards the vets (per their own financial release)

B. The CEO of WWP is not a veteran yet makes far more than even the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

C. Apparently Gulf War vets, Bosnian vets and even as far back as Vietnam vets are pretty much shunned and turned away--if they even get a response, according to comments made by veterans in the past few days over this issue.

The best explanation of what WWP has become was in the comments section of another report when a reader opined (paraphrased) that "They (WWP) were once all about the veteran. Now they're all about themselves and the money and need wounded veterans in order to rake in the donations."

Bad Water Bill
11-18-2012, 01:04 AM
Well the CEO works very hard. $316.000.00 hard trying to find ways to get most of that money into HIS Swiss bank account.

And then there is poor Leslie that broke a finger nail typing all of those E mails trying to cover up their adjenda.

Wonder how much they donated to the BRADY'S.

geargnasher
11-18-2012, 12:17 PM
When selecting organizations to donate to, my wife and I research how they use the funds received.
While I don't have a full breakdown handy for Wounded Warriors, our research showed that they pay their CEo an astounding salary.

Of course, it's their job to determine if he is worth that much to their goal of supporting wounded vets.
But it seems to indicate that Wounded Warriors exists for it's own benefit ... and provides help vets in order to continue to exist.

CM

It appears that this IS the way it is. Thanks for the research, Recluse, and for blowing the whistle. I'm certainly convinced now, I just don't like to go off half-cocked. I pulled to full-cock and emptied the cylinder at any connection between them and my money.

Even if they mend their ways as far as from whom they choose to receive money, I'm not sending them a dime, ever if 18 cents on the dollar is all that gets through. Even the welfare system is slightly more efficient than that.

Gear

DRNurse1
11-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Wow. This is a sad event that started as a reasonable response to the lack of attention to our veterans issues. We should include the 'faces' of WWP in our discussion. Has anyone contacted Trace or Hickcock? they both are stand up folks and will likely follow up on the sad state of that organization.

snuffy
11-19-2012, 03:32 PM
I listened to the interview with Steve Nardizzi, CEO at WWP, on Tom's Sunday show. You can listen via podcast, or download it to your computer and play the JPG audio.

http://www.guntalk.com/site41.php

Mr Nardizzi, is a lawyer. Now there's SOME good lawyers out there, but try to nail one down to get a clear statement from one. Like pinning a snake to a board in a straight line!:veryconfu . Mr Nardizzi is no different. I've seldom heard so much double talk and waste of breath like that. Tom G. repeatedly tried to get him to admit they're just plain anti-gun.

Bottom line is they won't co-brand with anything that they can't get a return on investment, ROI. Specifically, you couldn't use their logo on a gun or knife. It's mainly because of lawyers behind every bush, ready to sue if your logo is used and somebody gets hurt or doesn't like your involvement.

My bottom line is I'm going to block their access to my checking account, which is how they would get my monthly pledge.

L1A1Rocker
11-19-2012, 07:17 PM
I listened to the interview with Steve Nardizzi, CEO at WWP, on Tom's Sunday show. You can listen via podcast, or download it to your computer and play the JPG audio.

http://www.guntalk.com/site41.php

Mr Nardizzi, is a lawyer. Now there's SOME good lawyers out there, but try to nail one down to get a clear statement from one. Like pinning a snake to a board in a straight line!:veryconfu . Mr Nardizzi is no different. I've seldom heard so much double talk and waste of breath like that. Tom G. repeatedly tried to get him to admit they're just plain anti-gun.

Bottom line is they won't co-brand with anything that they can't get a return on investment, ROI. Specifically, you couldn't use their logo on a gun or knife. It's mainly because of lawyers behind every bush, ready to sue if your logo is used and somebody gets hurt or doesn't like your involvement.

My bottom line is I'm going to block their access to my checking account, which is how they would get my monthly pledge.

Well, it looks like WWP has reached that point in growth where they forget how they got were they are and begin to decline. It happens a lot unfortunately. They've started to hire lawyers to "proof" everything, and hired executives that are "professional executives" and not wounded warriers, or working for the wounded warriers for the love of what they are doing. When that happens you loose what was special, and often alienate those that got ya where ya are. Very sad.

crabo
11-19-2012, 08:23 PM
Any suggestions for another WWP type to send my donations to? I want to keep contributing to to an organization that puts the money to good use for our soldiers.

geargnasher
11-19-2012, 10:07 PM
Any suggestions for another WWP type to send my donations to? I want to keep contributing to to an organization that puts the money to good use for our soldiers.

Yes, there were several "known honest" ones mentioned in previous posts.

Gear

Awsar
11-19-2012, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=Recluse;1918586]As a veteran, I REFUSE to support ANY organization that coattails on our sacrifices and struggles in order advance a liberal PC agenda.

could not agree more.
sad it what it is

375RUGER
11-19-2012, 10:31 PM
I haven't read this whole thread and I'm sure they do a lot of good things for wounded vets. It's too bad they have crappy policy makers. Those veterans were wounded while defending the constitution. I guess I won't give them any of my dirty money.

JIMinPHX
11-19-2012, 11:00 PM
I REFUSE to support ANY organization that coattails on our sacrifices and struggles in order advance a liberal PC agenda.

That is my perspective as well.

starmac
11-20-2012, 12:50 AM
They can come about face on their gun stance, but that 18 cents on the dollar getting to the vets does it for me.

Roundnoser
11-20-2012, 07:00 PM
I sent WWP an E-mail to express my concerns. Here is their reply:

"We appreciate your concern regarding this matter. First, these questions arose as a result of a miscommunicated message when declining an opportunity for WWP to appear on Gun Talk Radio. This mistake has unfortunately led some people to question our support of the 2nd Amendment.

Please know WWP wholeheartedly supports the Constitution of the United States of America, which includes the Second Amendment. We recognize these are the freedoms our Alumni fought and sacrificed to protect!

WWP has a long history of facilitating therapeutic hunting and outdoor opportunities for Wounded Warriors as well as fundraising activities that involve firearms.

Thank you for your support of Wounded Warrior Project as we continue to honor and empower wounded warriors.

Thank you",

Bad Water Bill
11-20-2012, 07:44 PM
That smells like a smoke screen.

With over 150 million coming in each year and only spending 16 of that to help vets why do they NOT have any kind of a range facility available to the vets?

Recluse
11-20-2012, 11:22 PM
I sent WWP an E-mail to express my concerns. Here is their reply:

"We appreciate your concern regarding this matter. First, these questions arose as a result of a miscommunicated message when declining an opportunity for WWP to appear on Gun Talk Radio. This mistake has unfortunately led some people to question our support of the 2nd Amendment.

Please know WWP wholeheartedly supports the Constitution of the United States of America, which includes the Second Amendment. We recognize these are the freedoms our Alumni fought and sacrificed to protect!

WWP has a long history of facilitating therapeutic hunting and outdoor opportunities for Wounded Warriors as well as fundraising activities that involve firearms.

Thank you for your support of Wounded Warrior Project as we continue to honor and empower wounded warriors.

Thank you",

What a coincidence. . . :rolleyes: I got the same exact response, but to an inquiry in which I asked specifically about some financials. . .

What this tells me is either:

A. They are inundated with angry veterans, gun-owners and supporters and are doing good just to send out an auto-reply, and/or

B. They couldn't give a damn less what we think.

I suspect it's about half and half.

I'll help support Soldier's Angels and Airborne Angel Cadets, Guitars For Vets, and I'll keep an eye and ear open for stories in the paper or in the local news about vets who need help.

Roundnoser
11-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Does anyone donate to the Purple Heart Service Foundation? This might also be a good place to donate to vets...

http://www.mophsf.org/

imashooter2
11-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Does anyone donate to the Purple Heart Service Foundation? This might also be a good place to donate to vets...

http://www.mophsf.org/

I donated a car. They sold it and never transferred the title. The guy that bought it abandoned it in a Philly ghetto. I had to fight with the police for weeks over the fines and fees they said I owed the city. Thank God I saved my receipt from the PH or my donation would have cost me a couple thousand bucks. Maybe they do good work. They won't get any more money or donations from me.

wch
11-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Do as I did: send them an email telling them that they'll get no money from you.

snuffy
11-22-2012, 11:51 AM
Well, it looks like WWP has reached that point in growth where they forget how they got were they are and begin to decline. It happens a lot unfortunately. They've started to hire lawyers to "proof" everything, and hired executives that are "professional executives" and not wounded warriers, or working for the wounded warriors for the love of what they are doing. When that happens you loose what was special, and often alienate those that got ya where ya are. Very sad.

L1A1, that is well put, kind of sums it up nicely.

My overall take on it is the WWP has become a business. It can no longer be called a charity. Or a place where unemployable lawyers can work and think they are contributing to a cause.

I don't begrudge anybody a paycheck. But when every single thing they do must be run by a bunch of lawyers to see if they can do it, it costs money. Dollars that people donate that they think is going directly to a wounded vet.

What this has done is bring them under scrutiny to reveal they are highly inefficient, and too little of the donations are getting where they belong.

Do they help some wounded/disabled vets? Yes, without a doubt, but a clean-up is in order to save some money so more could get help.

Taylor
11-23-2012, 08:41 AM
I stand with Recluse!!

Grandpas50AE
11-23-2012, 09:52 AM
I have not given to WWP, thank goodness. I do give, but usually it is a project where the donation goes directly to the recipient by volunteers (such as Santa's Helpers or Angel Tree or a food bank), and usually is not money. Long ago I gave to an organization that I later found out was using the money to promote political agendas instead of helping the recipients (that one didn't last long). I will make sure to tell my family of this problem with WWP, as all but my youngest sister are vets (1 Marine, 2 Army, 1 USN).

I'm with J.D. on this one, someone using us to line their pockets is no longer trustworthy, and will never see a dime of my money.

Roger

snuffy
11-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Tom Gresham wrote an article that sums up his feelings and future in dealings with WWP. I agree 100% with his take on it.

http://www.shootingwire.com/features/226802.

wrangler5
11-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Sadly, many large "charitable" organizations morph into self-perpetuating operations at some point in their existence.

The "March of Dimes" was started to find a cure for polio. When the Salk vaccine essentially eliminated polio as a widespread scourge, rather than declare a victory and fold their tent the organization looked around for another battle to fight and kept itself going. (They now fight prematurity and birth defects, a fight which can never be "won" so they won't have to reconfigure themselves again, and their CEO can continue to collect over a half million in salary and benefits indefinitely.) Maybe they do good work, and maybe their executives provide full value for their pay, but the organization has a life of its own apart from its charitable purposes.

I suspect the WWP is in this same mode, albeit on a smaller scale than monster operations like the Red Cross or March of Dimes. (I believe the Red Cross is another operation that has a very low ratio of benefits paid to donations received.)

delta1
11-23-2012, 02:47 PM
The Tom Gresham article is a good read and 100% right in my opinion.