PDA

View Full Version : Over powder wad in slug gun

oldracer
11-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Well I took the Pedersoli Tryon out yesterday for some additional testing and tried the second type of over powder wad. The first was a felt cut out with my wad punch and these are low temp fiber gasket material which is much stiffer. I soaked both in melted Crisco and started with 80gn of FFG Goex. I dropped the load to 70gn after a couple of shots and after several fouling rounds the next 4 were touching at 100yds off cross sticks. I searched around in front of the shooting area as I did when using the felt wads and with the felt wad they were no where to be found. I guess the were burned off? I found the fiber wads though and they were like new, just no lube left on them at all! I was sort of surprised they were as good as they were but for the foreseeable future I plan to continue to work with them. I also seated the bullet (Pedersoli mold, 494.7gn) with a slight pressure and also with no pressure and there seemed to be a slight advantage to a small seating pressure?

I am wiping one wet and one dry patch between shots and the lube/powder goop that is on the patch is really nice and soft so the lube is doing a great job!

Hope this helps anyone that might be thinking about these sort of guns.

451 Pete
11-13-2012, 04:23 PM
oldracer,

Nice shooting there. If you are allowing the grease to come in contact with the bullets base a wad can adhere to the bullet and go down range. Usually this is detrimental to your accuracy although it may not be readily apparent at 100 yds. This can be prevented by either a wax paper disc or another dry card wad over the lubricated felt wad. Normally the felt wad will show up downrange about 20 ft. or so out in front of the muzzle.
A slight amount of bullet seating pressure when seating your bullet with your rod may be helping but most importantly is that the amount of pressure should be as consistant from shot to shot as possible.
Glad your enjoying your new rifle. Those are a pleasure to shoot.

Take care .... Pete