PDA

View Full Version : I need a Brain to Pick? Auto Restoration

Muddy Creek Sam
11-11-2012, 10:04 PM
Anyone on here Put a Floor pan in a truck. can you clue me in on the process?

Thanks,

Sam :D

tomme boy
11-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Drive down your favorite country road. Stop at 3-4 road signs and throw them in the back of the truck. Now go home and get out the cutting torch and remove the floor of the truck. Now get some self taping screws and secure the signs to the in side of the cab were your floor used to be. No go get some of that expanding foam and fill in all the seams. Spray some glue to the signs and roll some indoor outdoor carpet on the floor. Done. Good as new!

Kskybroom
11-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Farm Truck or Classic ??

Olevern
11-11-2012, 11:06 PM
And there ya have it, as redneck as it gets! caution: look both ways before removing each stop sign. (you're lookin for smoky) Also: additional caution: remember where the stop signs were you took down, 'cause you might otherwise get in an accident in the several days (or months if really out in the boonies) it takes for the signs to get replaced.

Wooly
11-11-2012, 11:57 PM
To do it right, you need to drill out the spot welds & secure a floor. I am having to do a similar deal right now on a 63 Plymouth Savoy. I drilled out over 200 welds on the front clip of a parts car as no one makes the pieces for a 63. Plus ,it was cheaper than repop anyway. I patched a 73 Ford PU with scrap once like was described. It`ll work,but it isn`t Kosher. The question of classic or work truck is a good one. That will determine how nice you want it.

76 WARLOCK
11-12-2012, 12:11 AM
I replaced the rusted spots on my 76 Dodge Warlock, I got replacement floor pans from Auto Body Specialties. You should just cut out the rusted parts then butt weld the new metal in, it only took about 4 hours. You do need a MIG welder.

Artful
11-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Or you learn to get good with a stick welder

Tom-ADC
11-12-2012, 12:25 AM
What kind of truck? Many have replacement floor pans.
I did a VW truck way back when, bought some body steel from the local metal supply house rolled a few stiffing beads in and after cut to fit using cardboard templets, I sealed every place it made contact with using RVT sealant. the pop riveted it in place, Also primed everything before and after.

You say restore or do you mean repair?

starmac
11-12-2012, 12:32 AM
It all depends on how bad yours is, you can get every replacement panel for that pickup.
some replacement panels now are glue on Cab corners and such, and they work good.
The model you have is famous for rusting out the rocker panels beneath the doors.

I hate working with rust, so if I was working on a cab with much rust, I always just got one from west texas or NM and replaced the cab.

Gliden07
11-12-2012, 01:01 AM
If there available buy the replacment floor pan or patch panels for the car/truck you want to replace them in. Take all seats, rugs and generaly flamable items out of harms way. I lay the pan/panel down on the floor (before cutting) and trace out the whole patch panel on original floor making sure it will cover area needing repair. then figure out if you need to cut entire area out or a smaller area (smaller is easier) be careful when cutting original floor! Know whats under it Braces wires GAS LINES etc... Trim the repair panel to fit your hole, cut patch panel a little at a time. This is where your patiants will pay off the closer the repair panel is to the hole you cut in the original floor the easier the welding and fit will be. When the panel is fit tack it in with a mig welder and using a hammer gently make sure it goes where you want it to! Dress out the welds and paint it both sides so it won't start to rust again. This takes a long time and is best done with a few beers and a buddy for consultation!! LOL!!

The above is for a nice restored type of repair if you need to just get something thru an inspection sheet metal, rivits a hammer and some seam sealer or caluk.

Buzzard II
11-12-2012, 11:25 AM
If you want it done correctly, try to buy a replacement floor pan-try an auto body sheet metal supplier or if it's an older truck, look in Hemmings Motor News for replacement panels. Cut out the old panel with a cut off wheel or air chisel with panel cutter. Leave about 1/2 to 3/4 inch lip to lay new panel on. You can temporarily pop rivet new panel in place for trial fit or use cleco fasteners to hold it. Tack weld all around new panel. Use a hammer and dolly to stress relieve each tack weld, and the each bead or the whole thing will buckle. Use a mig welder and weld small areas and then let panel cool down. Weld about 1 inch at a time. Go around the panel making your welds. Example weld right side of panel, left side of panel front then rear. If you have only gas welder (oxy-fuel) that will work too. Don't try a stick welder! Stop signs are usually aluminum and you can't weld that to steel. Do this outdoors and have a fire extinguisher or water hose handy. You can also use an air hose from an air compressor to blow out a small flame. Also remove seat and any flamable items nearby. Or pay a body man to do it if you don't have the equipment. Good luck! Bob

Hickory
11-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Why fill the holes?
Use it as an ice fishing shanty. :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

RayinNH
11-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Hickory, probably not too much ice fishing in South Carolina, at least not without a lot of alcohol consumption first...Ray

Muddy Creek Sam
11-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Am not a redneck, Katie wants it restored. Guess I need to learn to Mig weld.

Thanks all,

Freightman
11-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Look here and see if they have the parts http:www.LMC-TRUCK.com

tomme boy
11-12-2012, 07:19 PM
All parts are going to be off shore parts. So fitting them is going to have to be done. Make sure ALL rust has been removed before welding them in. Mig welding is very easy to do. Just make sure to NOT use the flux core cheapy ones. Get a good one with a shielding gas. The good ones will have a stitch setting to help you weld a panel. It will let you weld about a 1/2" bead then skip a 1/2" You just hold the trigger and keep moving. Miller is a very good brand.

I used to work for DuPont selling paint supplies to body shops. Just make sure to use a self etching primer when you have the panels in place. Not sure what is available now adays as I got out of the paint business back around 98. They were just starting to get into waterborne low VOC paints and primers. They were not very good back then. I am sure they are better now. Just remember. Prep of the metal is everything.

My first post was just a jab. All though I have seen it done that way.

firefly1957
11-12-2012, 08:32 PM
A) Do not get caught stealing road signs.
B) Do not use aluminum (as in many road signs) it will cause more damage if wet because of the dissimilar metal.

It is not hard to put in a new floor pan i have done it on three cars galvanized steel works best cut it oversize and bend it in place pop rivets are good way to secure it in place seal it well also. Something to look at real close make sure your seat mounting bolts are in secure sound metal if not fix it first as a loose seat if very dangerous.

starmac
11-12-2012, 08:56 PM
He said he is restoring it, soooo road signs are out. The stop signs should be safe. lol

tomme boy
11-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Every Road sign I have ever seen was galvanized steel. Thats why the redneck way will outlast the rest of the truck.

Tom-ADC
11-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Am not a redneck, Katie wants it restored. Guess I need to learn to Mig weld.

Thanks all,

Sam what is it?

Muddy Creek Sam
11-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Sam what is it?

Tom,

It is a 67 Chevy c-10 Short bed Step Side 327 with a TH400 and Overdrive.

Tom-ADC
11-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Sam try classic industries order the catalog, floor pans can be had under $30 depending on how much you need.

tomme boy
11-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Why did you go a 400 instead of a 700 trany?

Muddy Creek Sam
11-20-2012, 04:55 PM

tommy,

Truck came with the 400 and overdrive installed

gwpercle
11-20-2012, 05:41 PM
I used marine grade plywood , 1/2 inch thick to replace the floors in a VW beetle...they were still in there when I sold the cars years later.

gary

tomme boy
11-20-2012, 06:43 PM
OK. I myself do not like the 400. Too high of first gear. But they are very strong. Does the add on overdrive run off of the trany fluid from the trany or is it self contained? I think Chrysler did a add on to their trany's at first. They had a very high failure rate. Something like 72% within 90K miles. It was the overdrive unit that took out the trany.

Muddy Creek Sam
11-22-2012, 12:50 PM
The Overdrive is an add on unit.

jlloyd73
11-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Those parts are fairly cheap (shipping will cost you though)............there are plenty of videos on the net that show how to replace the floor pans. If you don't have the time a body shop probably wouldn't charge you too much to do just the floor plans.

http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/catalogsearch/result/?search_year=1967&q=floor++pan&x=55&y=14

Muddy Creek Sam
11-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Found out today the Overdrive unit is a Hone, anyone know anything about these?

geargnasher
12-01-2012, 01:00 AM
The Hone should be in a museum.

Get your complete floorpan here http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/t.aspx?Page=24 and either cut out the patch panels you need or dissect the cab and replace the whole thing. If you don't have a MiG and .023" wire, learn how to gas weld. Either way, a good set of body hammers and dollies, leather sandbag, Sawzall, spot-weld drill, and angle grinder will be your friend.

Gear

Gliden07
12-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Sell the 400 and put a 700R4 in. 400 is real strong but its heavier and uses more power than a 350 or 700R4 and the R4 has overdrive built in. Check out the link below for some more information on the R4.

http://www.smokemup.com/tech/700r4.php

alamogunr
12-01-2012, 08:32 PM
I don't know anything about restoring/repairing old trucks but I do know what happens when you take road signs. I serve on our county commission and missing signs are a major expense. If you are going this route, go to a neighboring county. That way you aren't contributing to increased taxes in your home county. I hope you don't live in the next county to me.

If we had it to do over, all roads would have very common names. None that appealed to teenagers.

Tazman1602
12-01-2012, 08:57 PM

A 400 can't be destroyed is why.....grin

Art

tomme boy
12-01-2012, 09:52 PM
Oh yes they can. Try a 592ci tall deck Chevy with 11.25-1 pistons with 700hp of nitros. 350horse plate on the throttle and 350 hp fogger set to come on 2.5 sec into run. Trans break with 5500rpm stall lauched 6000rpm when the stall would flash that high. Motor alone was 750hp then add the nitros and the trans break. I went threw on avg 2 tranys every year. This was on a mud bog race truck.

Muddy Creek Sam
12-02-2012, 12:14 PM

Get your complete floorpan here http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/t.aspx?Page=24 and either cut out the patch panels you need or dissect the cab and replace the whole thing. If you don't have a MiG and .023" wire, learn how to gas weld. Either way, a good set of body hammers and dollies, leather sandbag, Sawzall, spot-weld drill, and angle grinder will be your friend.

Gear

Gear,

What is a spot weld drill?

Gliden07
12-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Gear,

What is a spot weld drill?

They look like tiny hole saws! Check out the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=pd_sl_55po8xokw1_e?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aspot+weld+ cutter&keywords=spot+weld+cutter&ie=UTF8&psrk=spot+weld+cutter

The best way I've found to use them is to scuff the surface so you can see the spot welds, center punch the spotwelds put the spotweld cutter in a drill and have fun!! The cutter will drill a hole larger than the spotweld (about 1/4") it will drill thru the first sheet of metal and seperate the sheets. After drilling all the welds out you'll be able to seperate the panels. Most of the time the panels will still be fused some how use a chisel or better yet an air chisel and some well placed wacks to finish.

merlin101
12-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Anyone on here Put a Floor pan in a truck. can you clue me in on the process?

Thanks,

I used to do auto body work and when I got tired of that went to work selling after market body parts. Look up LMC Trucks on line or see if you have a Keystone Automotive near by. Buying a premade floor pan is SO MUCH easier than hacking beatin&welding up one on your own.
Best to weld it in or use metal adhesive (if you can get past the rust) either way make sure you have tight metal to metal contact and LOOK UNDERNETH!! The last thing you want is to cut or weld a gas or brake line! Don't laugh seen it happen! I've seen doors screwed shut before!

merlin101
12-02-2012, 02:07 PM

Gear

Ya beat me to it Gear.
If Sam's only going to do his floor he can get by with almost any hammer and a chunk of steel (lead will do if ya can find some) a drill w/1/8" bits some screws (to hold the panel while welding) a saw or cut-off wheel on a grinder.

LMC will have the pan and floor braces. DO NOT remove the floor and rocker panel at the same time!! Thats very importent! Not sure if your going to do the rocker or not, but if you do and you remove the rocker and floor the cab will flex and the door opening will SPREAD! don't ask how I know I just do , lets leave it at that!