PDA

View Full Version : Wilco range tip for the day........

WILCO
11-09-2012, 10:51 PM
When flattening tagets against the backboard to be stapled, make sure you don't run the back of your hand against old staples sticking out! :( :violin:

Bloodman14
11-10-2012, 01:42 AM
YEEEEOUCH!! Been there, done that!

fouronesix
11-10-2012, 11:16 AM
I guess the reason that everyone uses staples for targets is that everyone always has always used staples. [smilie=b:

I learned a long time ago that masking tape works so much better than staples and doesn't leave behind those caltrops. Seems no matter how many times I've shown other shooters how easy and practical masking tape is to use (one roll lasts forever), old rituals that don't work very well die hard so none have switched from staples to tape.

No staples to buy, no staple gun to keep track of, no re-filling, no fighting with worn out staple guns, no popped open staple guns throwing staples everywhere, no old staples on backers getting in the way of putting up another target, no sharp finger stickers on backers or targets and on and on and on. But hey, what's not to like about staples.

Jim
11-10-2012, 11:23 AM
When flattening tagets against the backboard to be stapled, make sure you don't run the back of your hand against old staples sticking out! :( :violin:

Thankfully, I don't have to use public ranges. I have my own little 50 yd. range here on our place. Every time I take down a target, I take the staples out of the target board. Rather than be lacerated by a staple point, the biggest problem I have is gettin' a splinter in a finger.

Ed Barrett
11-11-2012, 11:51 AM
The problem with tape is at low temperatures and rainy weathers it doesn't stick too well. When you put up a target at 200 yards and walk back and look and see one corner of your target blowing in the wind, it's time to get the stapler out. Of course I've also walked out to the 200 yard mark and found I'm out of staples.

HangFireW8
11-11-2012, 11:55 AM
5 year old staples work great. 5 year old tape, not so much.

HF

Jim
11-11-2012, 12:13 PM
I tried using tape. I ain't got the patience for it. Pull a tab of tape off the roll, tear it and lay the roll down. Pick up the target, locate it and tape the first corner. Pick up the roll of tape again, pull off a tab, straighten the target and tape another corner. Do this four times.

I can hold the target in place with one hand, shoot four staples in with the other hand and I'm done. And as mentioned, if the plywood backer is wet from yesterday's rain, the staples hold.

I have made a habit of checkin' for a full 'magazine' of staples when I pull the stapler outa' my bag. And I keep a box in the bottom of the bag.

WILCO
11-11-2012, 12:58 PM
I have made a habit of checkin' for a full 'magazine' of staples when I pull the stapler outa' my bag. And I keep a box in the bottom of the bag.

I only walked 200 yds twice with no staples.................. [smilie=l:

Fishman
11-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Fouronesix, I'm going to try it. Makes sense to me.