PDA

View Full Version : Pour or Ladle

Grimstache
11-09-2012, 04:45 PM
I want to dump the terrible hand me down Lee 10 lb pour spout melter my Dad gave me. I just had the worst casting session with it. I don't want to spend a lot of money, how do you guys like dipper pots versus the pour spout pots?

Jim
11-09-2012, 05:01 PM
I started with a ladle pot and went full circle back to one.

Grimstache
11-09-2012, 05:49 PM
How do you get all the stuff at the bottom?

Jack Stanley
11-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Lots of flux and stirring .

Jack

Leadforbrains
11-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Started out ladling lead and I am still doing it that way.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Yep, pot casting for me. Tried the electric bottom pour and it would take a very big and fast electic pot before I'd ever consider it again.

Buy a Rowell Bottom Pour ladle. Waaaaay better then any of the side pour ladles I have tried. Find them on the net.

Then buy an old or newer but used Coleman gas stove and get a used cast iron kettle of 40 or more pounds capacity which along with the Rowell ladle will put you in first class shape to begin casting.

Do not buy or use a cast iron skillet, as they are too shallow for good dipping. Your alloy is spread out over too large an area.

However, the large opening of a cast iron kettle is much easier to work from then the electric dipper pot with their smaller opening.

Fluxing???? Have used partly burned candles or canning wax for years and not only is it cheap, but it works great!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot