PDA

View Full Version : die differences

XWrench3
11-09-2012, 04:12 PM
so i was ready to order another sizer die for my Lyman 450 today, and just my luck, the one i want is out of stock. figures. anyway, i understand that RCBS dies will inter change with the Lyman. but i noticed that the RCBS die only has i row of holes, as opposed to the double grease holes on the lyman. do they both function the same? or will i have to stop the press arm in 2 or 3 different spots to fill the separate grease grooves on each bullet?

MT Chambers
11-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Doesn't matter with this type of luber, either will work and won't need any different set-up or method of use. The # of holes and location only matters on Star dies used on a Star machine.....Carry on!!

44man
11-10-2012, 09:53 AM
I use both RCBS and Lyman dies in my RCBS sizer.

milprileb
11-10-2012, 11:03 AM
I have both. Lyman dies with more holes work better. Your concerns are very much
warranted. If you really use a Lyman 450 / 4500 luber a lot, you see the dynamics
and pay the price in time and effort.

Frankly, and no offense, any advice to the contrary is just validating both dies work. Yeah,
they work but they don't work the same. Lyman dies with more holes do work better.

Freischütz
11-10-2012, 05:53 PM
I agree with milprieb. I've deformed gas checks with the RCBS style die.

stubshaft
11-10-2012, 11:00 PM
I've used both of them interchangeably. JFTR - I usually have Buckshot make my sizing dies for me because I have had problems with both RCBS and Lyman not having the dimensions marked on the die.