PDA

View Full Version : PRB & BP Rifles

Swamp Ghost
11-09-2012, 11:12 AM
For many years I have been shooting BP rifles. I have a T/C New Englander and a Hawkens - Both in .50 Cal , CVA Missouri Rifle .50 Cal and a P.I Spence .40 Cal.

Ive been having some issues that some of you may be able to assist me with. Well,I shoot nothing but True Black Powder and Patched Round Balls. I am having a bit of trouble with the accuracy in my T/C Hawkens. Sometimes the accuracy in the first shot is satisfactory and all the following shots is horrible. No matter how much I adjust my sights the rifle shoots about 3 to 4 inches to the right. Now when the rifle was given to me the inside of the barrel was in rough shape. I cleaned it thoroughly and there is pitting and when you look down into the muzzle the bore is pitted and smooth. No rifling at all. Should I just up and buy a new barrel ? :confused: Green Mountain has barrels and decent prices. Thought about one in a 1:60 to 1:70 Twist for better accuracy with the PRB. I believe the T/C Hawkens comes standard with a 1:48 twist.

Just got my T/C New Englander. Rifling looks real good. I shoot 70 Grains Of Goex FFFG and PRB in it. My first shot after cleaning was at a Soda Can and 50 yards. It made one heck of a complosion. I was very pleased..kinda figured I'd miss it,but hit it dead on. My question is...what Is the twist in the T/C New Englander and is it designed for PRB ?

waksupi
11-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Some of the older TC barrels do tend to wear out. I think my brother is on his second or third barrel.
Try changing nipples, they can have a big effect on accuracy.
No idea of what their twist is, but I recommend a 1-66 for RB shooting.
Welcome aboard.

Maven
11-09-2012, 12:41 PM
SG, Also check the sights to see whether the front one is loose in its dovetail and whether the rear one holds windage. Check the crown for dings/burrs while you're at it. Lastly consider using a thicker patch; or alternatively, a .495" RB with the patches you're presently using or slightly thinner ones.

fouronesix
11-09-2012, 03:12 PM
I cleaned it thoroughly and there is pitting and when you look down into the muzzle the bore is pitted and smooth. No rifling at all. Should I just up and buy a new barrel ? :confused: Green Mountain has barrels and decent prices. Thought about one in a 1:60 to 1:70 Twist for better accuracy with the PRB. I believe the T/C Hawkens comes standard with a 1:48 twist.

Well, the quote in bold says it all! You can either shop around for a used or NOS T/C barrel in good shape or get a Grn Mtn replacement. While they state the GM is a direct drop-in, I've found them to sometimes require some minor fitting- really not a very hard job. For roundball- either type will serve you well- 48" or one of the slower twists. I have both and one day the 48" twist will shoot best. Then the next day the slower twist will shoot best- so fielder's choice IMO.

Oh, and the twist in the New Englander should be 48", IIRC. Or better yet you can run a snug patched jag into your bore and measure the twist!

HARRYMPOPE
11-09-2012, 03:17 PM
GM drop in TC barrels don’t fit the NE breech system. I agree with fouronesix on twist choice. My 1-32 50 will outshoot my 1-70 about 90% of the time. Rifling depth is probably more important that twist.

waksupi
11-09-2012, 04:10 PM
GM drop in TC barrels don’t fit the NE breech system. I agree with fouronesix on twist choice. My 1-32 50 will outshoot my 1-70 about 90% of the time. Rifling depth is probably more important that twist.

Is that with round ball?

fouronesix
11-09-2012, 04:15 PM

If I read the OP correctly, I think it is a T/C Hawken that has the ruined bore not the New Englander. The New Englander question was about twist rate.

451 Pete
11-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Swamp Ghost ,

The TC New Englander according to an old Dixie Gun Works catalog from the 1990's I have here has a 1-48" barrel twist.

hope this helps ... Pete

HARRYMPOPE
11-09-2012, 07:22 PM
Is that with round ball?

Yes my 1-32 Lyman GP shoots a RB with 90g of powder into well under 1" at 50 yards in good conditions.

Swamp Ghost
11-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Thank You All Kindly...Yea,when you look down the barrel on the Hawkens its is pitted from the crown of the barrel down a few inches. I figure that's why my accuracy is so poor. The sights are tight and well in place. And it is almost impossible to load a second round with out running a patch down the barrel...and you can forget pillow ticking patches,they will barely go down the barrel even when its clean. Just gonna have to get a new barrel for it. This one is just way too pitted at the crown and causing poor accuracy and horrible loading and reloading.As Law Officer's...If We Are To Be Entrusted And Empowered To Cary Out And Enforce The Laws Of The Land...We Must Do So First By Setting The Example To Obey And Abide By The Laws Ourselves. " By:Me - 2006 "

11-14-2012, 03:15 PM
+1 for Bob Hoyt. Cheaper than a new Gr. Mt. and better by far with correct twist rifling. Do yourself a big favor and contact Bob.

Swamp Ghost
11-15-2012, 05:28 PM
How do I contact Bob ?