PDA

View Full Version : Post election purchases

Jal5
11-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Wondering what you guys have decided to purchase post-election?
I will start with a DPMS Panther AR 15 in .223 that I ordered yesterday. Hard to find any at a decent price, or any price at all now. I wanted to buy it next year but decided not to wait for obvious reasons.

Now I need to get the dies, etc. but I already have all the .223 brass I will need for awhile!

Joe

popper
11-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Don't need anymore toys but looking for land in east Texas for a family 'place'. As Co. & Ar. voted in drugs, I won't be going there anymore.

Trey45
11-09-2012, 11:57 AM
A Chinese flag, if you can't beat the communists, might as well join them, Comrade.

if anyone takes that seriously...well.....nevermind.

white eagle
11-09-2012, 11:58 AM
with all the Chinese vehicles I thought we already made the switch over

FISH4BUGS
11-09-2012, 12:03 PM
I bought way too much in the way of components when Obama was elected the first time. I am still all stocked up. I bought components along the way to replace what I used up.
I DID buy 4 stripped AR15 lowers and lower parts kits with stocks, so I will be looking for 4 uppers in the next few months.
Other than that, BRING IT ON!

Northtide
11-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Come on up to Western Missouri. I live on a cattle ranch 50 miles south of Kansas City, Mo. And 30 miles East of the Kansas line. Lots of great land for sale and NO illegals. I am from El Paso, Texas and wouldn't go back there.

bowfin
11-09-2012, 12:12 PM

rexherring
11-09-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm kind of eyeballing a S&W M&P15 AR platform rifle. Not because of the election (well maybe a little). It will make a great coyote chaser here in ND.

HATCH
11-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Another 1000lbs of lead. 10k primers and 32lbs of powder.

Who knows what the future brings. I know that no matter who is in office that the economy will get worst. We haven't hit bottom yet and when we do it will be bad.
$5+ a gallon gas will be the norm just like it is in California.

sent from my mobile.

Love Life
11-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Election night I significantly increased the bottom line of Powder Valley and grafs.

johnnyh
11-09-2012, 12:31 PM
I just bought 1500 pounds of new lead clip on wheel weights from an automotive supplier out of dead stock. Now to make boolits for a good stock pile.

popper
11-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Northtide - Grandview or Belton? Have relatives that had a place near Nevada. GP had a good spread in Cherokee Co but mom sold it, wanted the $$. Loved to fish Stockton. I looked around Springfield, they want >4K/acre. Too far for the kids to go.

Glassman66
11-09-2012, 12:45 PM
Come on up to Western Missouri. I live on a cattle ranch 50 miles south of Kansas City, Mo. And 30 miles East of the Kansas line. Lots of great land for sale and NO illegals. I am from El Paso, Texas and wouldn't go back there.

Hey, I live in Cass county, probably not far from you!

Randy

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

geargnasher
11-09-2012, 01:09 PM
5 yards of 6500 PSI readi-mix concrete was my first purchase Wednesday morning. The show must go on at Casa Del Gear.

Gear

popper
11-09-2012, 01:09 PM
I misspoke. Ar did NOT pass the MJ law, bu Wa did, as expected. It was close, 51-49. I don't think those who voted for actually realize the consequences of their action. Welcome to Amsterdam. Gear - pouring a slab?

geargnasher
11-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Ja. Having to build a new shop since I turned the old one into a house! It never ends. Gotta get off my rump this morning and go finish the siding, right after I finish my third round of back stretching.

Gear

km101
11-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Gear: I have always heard that you have to build at least 3 houses before you get it exactly right. I guess it's the same for a shop. My second one is much better, but still not perfect. But I dont want to go through the construction of a third one! Good Luck!

Now to the purpose of the thread! I bought primers and powder BEFORE the election just in case. But you never have enough, so I will buy more as soon as I can. Gotta' get a lot of lead for casting. And I need to increase my stock of canned goods and long term stored foodstufs. That will eat up the budget for the forseeable future.

Yes, I can spell, I just cant type@

GRUMPA
11-09-2012, 05:23 PM
I know I wont be making any after election purchases, I did that already a few years a go.

Gliden07
11-09-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm still in shock over this election!! 4 more years of this BS!! I have an AR, SKS and I just bought a Mosin Negant and am planning on getting a M&P 9C. Can't get them here in the state of Mass there buying everything up like crazy!! The one good thing I will say about my State is Gun ownership is once again rising!!

Silvercreek Farmer
11-09-2012, 05:30 PM
I picked up my powder and primers last month, but decided I would use this month's budget on a few 30 rd mags for the SD rifle and a extra 15 rder for the SD pistol, just in case they get hard to find. Ordered them with no issues, once I found a place that stocked them both, but they are not for popular models. Actually felt kind of silly ordering them, since I will rarely use them, as most of my shooting is more cast friendly calibers, at a pace that doesn't require "regular" capacity magazines.

Not election related by I did order a steel target from Wideners and had to sit on hold for around 10 minutes.

Roundnoser
11-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Im all set on primers and powder for quite awhile. I might pick up a few more pounds of my favorite rifle powders, and some more rifle primers.

I am long over due to buy a gas-powered electric generator, and other emergency supplies. I don't want to be one of those folks standing in lines for gas, food, etc....or otherwise reliant on the government for a stinkin' thing!

Jal5
11-09-2012, 05:41 PM
I need to get a lot more lead for casting and we are increasing our food supplies too for emergency use. Will probably pick up more powder and primers too.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Oh, and I did pick up around 100 lbs of lead a couple weeks ago, but I was looking for that anyway.

PS Paul
11-09-2012, 06:34 PM
I am really pretty well-stocked with components, but I have several staff who I have introduced to reloading (casting comes next for them!) and given intruction to, so I stocked up on some primers for them because I know they will be impossbile to get for several weeks- starting now in some places.

Otherwise, I am still quietly building stockpiles of dried goods/food, water, fuel/propane and the like for power outages, which happen several times annually in my semi-rural area outside of Seattle. I will not be in a position the folks in NY are in! AND I have LOTS of ammo to keep miscreants away! Ha-ha!

Blacksmith
11-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Today the wife said we need to increase our long term food stores. Wants to add some freeze dried stuff easy to fix.

I ordered two guns and a bunch of ammo before the election. I need a few more accessories and a little more brass, and want to buy some arch punches in appropriate sizes to punch my own shotgun wads.

jaystuw
11-09-2012, 11:29 PM
Its a post election purchase thread. Meny of you are purchasing as if you are preparing for an invasion or a general break down of society. Isn't that, for lack of a better word , extreme? Wouldn't an average non cast boolit person think that odd or maybe even scary?

frkelly74
11-09-2012, 11:31 PM
2000 large rifle primers and 8 lb of good old Herco so far. I need more large pistol primers next. Have Gotten 6 cavity molds for 30 cal, 357, cal 41 cal, 44 cal,and 45 cal. And another lead melter. The 41 cal is on the way, thanks Kirb.

M-Tecs
11-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Its a post election purchase thread. Meny of you are purchasing as if you are preparing for an invasion or a general break down of society. Isn't that, for lack of a better word , extreme? Wouldn't an average non cast boolit person think that odd or maybe even scary?

Most are concerned about the upcoming shortages that will happen with the upcoming flurry of anti-shooting legislation that will be coming from the newly empowered admiration. As to being extreme when has being prepared become extreme? As to being odd or maybe even scary Clark Gabe stated it better than I can "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn".

Bullet Caster
11-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Purchased 1400 primers just after the election. Now I need to stock up on more primers, powder and lead as well as more brass. The primers weren't related to the election--I just needed enough to prime what brass I have on-hand. BC

PS Paul
11-10-2012, 12:39 AM

For me, it is not as much about ahving ammo as it is about being self-reliant in uncertain times when there may be such things as extended power outages (a'la the rolling outages of CA you might remember in the '90's) and serious civil unrest that might come with those outages (just like the unrest that took place in LA and other parts of CA in '92).

I do think hyper-inflation is coming-soon. I also know (being in the sporting goods business) that the cost of raw materials is going up and goods are rising weekly, so anything I can afford to do now that might offset my inability to do later, particularly with items to make my family comfortable during an extended witner power outage, is wise to do. Failing to do so will make me dependent on others. A position I DO NOT like to be in.

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-10-2012, 12:41 AM
I am buying another 100lbs of swage alloy scraps. 97% foundry pure lead, and 3% antimony. The company I deal with sells me leftovers for spot lead price. I also ordered 12 lbs of pure tin in 1lb bars.
COWW are getting harder to buy in bulk. I have to pay 50-cents a pound, but 15-20% by weight is steel, zinc, and clips these days. Add the hassle and expense of smelting, and the alloy purchase is getting awfully close. Dang propane price is killing me.

I joined the bare lower a month club in January. That will be the first wave of the assault on the 2nd Amendment, IMHO!

jaystuw
11-10-2012, 01:11 AM
Most are concerned about the upcoming shortages that will happen with the upcoming flurry of anti-shooting legislation that will be coming from the newly empowered admiration. As to being extreme when as being prepared become extreme? As to being odd or maybe even scary Clark Gabe stated it better than I can "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn".
Not giving a damn what i think is of course a given. Its just that i thought the anti shooting/gun legislation was suppost to happen 4 years ago, still waiting. And yes,being prepared is good. you never know when you may need to hunker down for a long period of time and defend yourself with an assault rifle. The only times i can remember that happening ended with the defenders being labeled (and,well, here is that word again) extremist.

johnny-appleweed
11-10-2012, 01:46 AM
Too many guns to go and buy more. I need to increase me bullet count. I have 1000 rounds for each weapon except the crossbow (only 150 bolts). I am looking to start casting my own boolits as soon as I learn more about it.
I have 30 cal’s., 32 cal’s., 38/357 cal’s., 9mm’s, (2 as carbines) 11 shotguns, 11 22 cal rifles, 6 22 pistols. And 5700 rounds of 22s. 47 pounds of black powder. 32 pounds other assorted Powder 350 pounds of lead diving weights. I reload for everything but the 22s.
(The only thing on my wish list is a 12 gauge auto with a clip)
4++ years food supply for 4

How many different molds will I need to cast for 300 savage, 308, M1 carbine, 32 Winchester, 38 police, 357 and 9mm. Will each gun need to be matched to a mold

Blacksmith
11-10-2012, 03:30 AM
johnny-appleweed

You need more .22's since you cant reload them, a case is not enough. Plus they will make great trading stock if SHTF. Also they are good for small game and make less noise to attract attention. And they make good Christmas presents, I used to give my grandsons a brick for Christmas this year it will be a case each.

JoeTheMechanic
11-10-2012, 03:58 AM
i bought 500 158gr LHP to load up and set aside, but not because i think legislation is a problem. its cause every time a democrat gets elected people get stirred up and buy up everything that goes bang. im sorry but obama isn't stupid enough to waste time on gun laws, he has enough issues. and he wants the democrat running in 2016 to have a chance.

honestly, i take any democrats' talk of gun control about as seriously as i take the republicans talk about abortion. they run their mouths and propose some legislation but they know that if they made any real change the back lash would kill them next election

smokeywolf
11-10-2012, 06:10 AM
I'm still working on my lifetime supply of Pb. Also working on pantry and med. goods.
Have to admit though, in spite of my love of pre-WWI Winchesters, more current defensive type pieces are starting to look like they could be fairly rational acquisitions.

My most serious shortages right now are liquid assets and a little piece of Texas to slap my Rv lazy B on.

smokeywolf

EDK
11-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Short on cash and wanting to lower the debt as I endure the "never never land" of a divorce, there's a 44 Magnum Original Size VAQUERO somewhere calling my name...stainless steel, 5.5 inch barrel please. There is plenty of lead in my storage area...in somewhat distorted 38 and 44 diameter...I just need to make a screen or salvage system and start shaking dirt!

A couple eight pound cans of various powders plus primers would be nice. I sent some 30 round Pmags to the step son who is a combat engineer National Guard type in Afghanistan, so maybe I ought to get some for myself also.

IF the doomies and Mayans are right, December 22 may solve a lot of problems.

:cbpour::redneck::guntootsmiley:

quilbilly
11-10-2012, 12:15 PM
A Chinese flag, if you can't beat the communists, might as well join them, Comrade.

Not a bad idea. Right next to the Stars-and-Bars

Roundnoser
11-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Not giving a damn what i think is of course a given. Its just that i thought the anti shooting/gun legislation was suppost to happen 4 years ago, still waiting. And yes,being prepared is good. you never know when you may need to hunker down for a long period of time and defend yourself with an assault rifle. The only times i can remember that happening ended with the defenders being labeled (and,well, here is that word again) extremist.

I see the people in NY and NJ who are now utterly reliant on the governement for food, water, fuel, clothing, etc. I don not want to be a "victim" who must rely on government. I want to be self-reliant (A word many people these days have no concept). In order to do that, I need to be prepared for a worst case scenerio...Perhaps 2 weeks to a month or more of food, water, medical supplies, power source, heat source, fuel source, toiletries, and yes...self-protection. I don't think that is extreme at all. To the contrary, I think able-bodied people who are not self-reliant and don't prepare to one degree or another are irresponsible, and a pose a drag (or a possible threat) on the rest of us.

And who says I'm going to defend myself with assault rifles? I have them if needed, but my home is protected on a daily basis with a single, 5 shot-38 snubby. Perhaps you find this too extreme as well?

Crossing your fingers and merely hoping for the best is not a plan!

HATCH
11-10-2012, 12:53 PM

I like to shoot. So i am going to do what it takes to make sure that i can for years to come.

I can't see the future but from what everyone is saying is that we are in for some hard times ahead.

A gun with no ammo is just a expensive stick.

sent from my mobile.

eveready
11-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Yesterday I ordered an Springfield XDM 40 which comes with Standard capacity mags (16 rounds). Diane Finestein is ready with her Assault weapon ,high cap (more than 10 rd.) mag bill as soon as Congress goes back to session. The 0bama administration is already working with the UN on the gun ban treaty, they started on Wednesday one day after the election. I think anybody that thinks our guns are safe is sadly mistaken. I'd love to be wrong but don't think so.

M-Tecs
11-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Its just that i thought the anti shooting/gun legislation was suppost to happen 4 years ago, still waiting.

Last term Obama stated the timing wasn’t right to push the anti-gun legislation. During the debates he stated he was going to push for a new assault weapons ban ? You won’t have to wait much longer as bills are currently being drafted. If the Republicans don’t hold the house is two years the timing will be right for a full on assault on the shooting sports. That being said were the real battle will be fought is the Supreme Court. Do you really think his appoints will support the second amendment??

And yes,being prepared is good. you never know when you may need to hunker down for a long period of time and defend yourself with an assault rifle. The only times i can remember that happening ended with the defenders being labeled (and,well, here is that word again) extremist.

Who said anything about hunkering down for a long period of time and defending yourself with an assault rifle other than you? Although It did work well for the Korean Business owners during the King riots. I don’t remember them being labeled as extremist.

Back to the point this post is not about hunkering down with an assault rifle it’s about what people think they might need based on the outcome of the election. Some of these concerns are real some may not be but history has shown that we will again be facing component and ammo shortages and possibly be limited to the type or how many firearms we can purchase.

What I know about the future is that I shoot 10 to 12 thousand rounds a year. I have done this for the past 40 year and I will continue to do this until my health or the government doesn’t allow me to. What is being extreme about me ensuring that I will be able to continue to do the things that I enjoy?????

NSP64
11-10-2012, 02:15 PM

LOL

I did hear that all the chop sticks being used in China are made in the U.S.A.

GOPHER SLAYER
11-10-2012, 04:10 PM
Must vent my spleen. The problems we face here in Kommiefornia are not just the anti-gun laws as to purchase or transfer, the really big difficulty is finding a place to shoot the guns you already own. As a side not , do all of you out there know that that in this state I cannot legally give my son one of my firearms without going through a licensed dealer? I cannot speak for the rest of the state but in LA county Bill Gates couldn't get a permit to open an outdoor shooting range. Election day the very wise voters here gave the Demonicrates a super marjority in both state houses and we already have brother moonbeam as gov. As Chris Christi said, "I'm just waiting for the frogs and locusts".

bowfin
11-10-2012, 04:18 PM

bowfin
11-10-2012, 04:25 PM

starmac
11-10-2012, 04:33 PM
All three are good points Bowfin.

I have to add the election proved that society is all ready broken down, it is just waiting for the printing presses to break.

FISH4BUGS
11-10-2012, 04:40 PM

.....but stunningly naive.
We had an ice storm here in NH in 2009 that took out the entire power distribution system. We were lucky to get power back after 11 days. Snowstorms take it out from hours to sometimes 2 days. Hurricane Sandy took out power for 2 1/2 days....and that is in rural NH....and it is getting worse. Power goes off more and more over the years as the distribution system ages and is not rebuilt.
Food is important. Fuel is important. heat and water is important. If you lived in Oceanside NJ right now you would be sitting there with your thumb up your butt waiting for the government to help you. You would be crying like all the rest of them "....why isn't the government helping us?".......Some of us are not willing to be at the mercy of the government for assistance. It is called self sufficiency.
Given the political situation, Obama's track record, and not having to worry about re-election, it is not beyond the realm of possibility, and many would say it is PROBABLE, that Obama will move to ban "assault rifles" (got any AR15's, AK47 style, SKS, FN42's, Garands, M1 carbines, Galils, FN's, SIGs, etc.?), and perhaps who knows what else with components, ammunition, etc.
If nothing happens, then we will have enough components, guns, etc. to last me for the rest of my life. I have probably a month or two worth of food that we always rotate out. We get our chickens from an organic farm and have a freezer full of chickens, burger, sausage and bacon. Eggs come from next door. Vegetables are canned or frozen from our garden.
I am prepared. You have insurance right? That is my insurance. It is also a very satisfying part of life to be able to grow your own food, barter with others for food (I traded a bunch of 9mm ammunition for vegetables) , and buy food from local organic farms.
Is that, for lack of a better word , extreme? I think relying on the neighborhood grocery for your daily ration of food is extreme. Relying on the supermarket for your food is extreme. Relying on Obama to care about the millions of law abiding gun owning citizens is extreme.
Wouldn't an average non cast boolit person think that odd or maybe even scary? With all due respect.....you can think whatever you want. Most of us have stopped caring what others think.....no offense.
Perhaps you should read the children's fable of the grasshopper and the ant. It is very enlightening.

johnny-appleweed
11-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Why do so many people think if they have a few weeks of food on hand that that is enough!!!!!!! Here in Maine I have a one acre garden that I can my own food out of. I put up 50 quarts of each vegetable that I grow. That gives me Beans, Corn, Peas, Carrots, Beats, Tomatoes and Greens once a week for a year. I also have 200 pounds of rice, 200 pounds of dried beans and 100 pounds pasta, I have horses so I also have 1000 pounds of oats, 500 pounds barley, 500 pounds corn and 2 .5 tons of horse grain that could be convertet to table food. (not to mention 6 horses) This is called ready for winter...
The one thing that most people forget is fuel. the fuel (gasoline) that you get today can not be stored!!!!!!!!!!! STABIL does not work, Whos idea was that. The alcohol in the fuel turns bad in a few months. We need to think DEISEL.

frkelly74
11-11-2012, 12:05 AM
A flint lock could be in the works.

starmac
11-11-2012, 12:06 AM
Well for most any national disaster, if a few weeks won't tide a guy over there is bigger trouble.
I keep a lot more for my own reasons,and it depends on the time of year. Milk, bread and eggs is about all I buy during the winter, oh yea ice cream. lol

jaystuw
11-12-2012, 12:07 AM
QUOTE=bowfin;1914604]A. Why would a non cast boolit person be on a cast boolit website?

B. Who cares what they would think? I think it is scary that the majority of voters picked a government headed by Obama...do you think they stopped to consider what we at Castboolits.com thought of their statements?

Not if you are expecting an invasion or a general break down of society. Then it is both rational and prudent.[/QUOTE]

Bowfin, Sorry,I've been away from the computer. Let me think, Yes! I remember you from day before yesterday on the political forum. we were on the thread were the guy wrote something to the effect that if the govt. tried to take his guns he would kill anyone in uniform AND their wife and children!. I wonder if the public would care what HE thinks? and lets look at that tv show about being prepared, Doomsday Preppers. The only thing i ever hear the general public say about that one is,well I'll let you answer that for yourself. But of course who cares. who gives a damn what the public thinks. Well here is the deal , the tide has turned. america is blue were it counts and is likely to stay that way.democrats are calling the shots now. And either the far fringe of the shooting community is going to be reeled in or the average gun guy is going to pay.don't like it? going to shoot your way out of it? No, you are going to dump the crazies and are going to show america that gun owners are hunters, recreational shooters, collectors and people that just want to protect themselves from a reasonable threat, just like anyone else. and are not a threat to the public or government in anyway, real or imagined. That is what you are going to do.You say No? you will not be told what to do . you have your rights! fine, you'll get dumped to. And finally, I don't like any of this any more than anyone else but I fully understand that the first step to dealing with it is to shoot the messenger.

starmac
11-12-2012, 12:18 AM
I didn't like what the guy said yesterday either, but you totally misquoted him. He wasn't talking about the govt. taking his guns at all.

AviatorTroy
11-12-2012, 12:28 AM
I bought a couple new pistols a few weeks ahead of the election. Wifey was a little miffed but I told her I was seriously concerned that obummer was going to get re elected. She laughed at me.

I really regret being right.

jaystuw
11-12-2012, 01:04 AM
just a correction. on re-reading my last post i realize that a lot of my you's should of been I's! I have no knowledge of what bowfins politics or feelings are! The format I used sounds like I am speaking just to bowfin at the end . not my intent Sorry bowfin, i apologize! i will proof read better in the future. Jay

jaystuw
11-12-2012, 01:30 AM
I didn't like what the guy said yesterday either, but you totally misquoted him. He wasn't talking about the govt. taking his guns at all.

Yeah. He was going to shoot before the govt could get his guns (read his #55) Are you ok with the women and children part? Jay

M-Tecs
11-12-2012, 01:33 AM
the tide has turned. america is blue were it counts and is likely to stay that way.democrats are calling the shots now. And either the far fringe of the shooting community is going to be reeled in or the average gun guy is going to pay.

It wasn’t blue in 2010 after two years of Democratic excess and it won’t be blue in 2 or 4 years if the Democrats don’t produce a good economy or they go to extremes on the social issues. The Democrats are far from calling the shots . Everything still has to go through the House.

The worst thing that the average gun owner faces is a bunch of Neville Chamberlain’s running around trying to appease the enemy. If they can force the legislation through so be it but we shouldn’t be rolling over and giving into them.

tomme boy
11-12-2012, 01:39 AM
Bought a Russian 91/30 sniper rifle this weekend. It is a real one, Not a repro. I shot some cast loads this AM and it shot right at 1.5" at 100yds. Will have to work on it more.

Love Life
11-12-2012, 01:46 AM
This wouldnt be a front vs front war, more of a vietnam, middle east hit n' run IED type of guerillia standoff that could go on for years. Personally, I'll shoot at anything in a uniform, office or blue hat. I have no issue with making bombs, traps, nor do I have an issue with shooting at women and children if it becomes necessary.

Attacking the personal home of a politician, officer or soldier and the whole fam decides to fight.

If you think you're going to win a revolution with that attitude, you're wrong. Stop with the keyboard commando **** and get real. Thats about whats going to happen here, not in Afghanistan.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=170677&page=3

All cleared up now!!! I didn't put forth the effort to add in the responses so the link is here. All the fun starts on page 3, post #60.

starmac
11-12-2012, 02:10 AM
Yeah. He was going to shoot before the govt could get his guns (read his #55) Are you ok with the women and children part? Jay

Now read between 55 and 60 where he actually said it, it had basically turned into an all out war. Then on to 63 where he answered me on the women and children thing.

Am I ok with it, only a moron would even think of something like this, much less say it on an open forum.

jaystuw
11-12-2012, 03:09 AM
Now read between 55 and 60 where he actually said it, it had basically turned into an all out war. Then on to 63 where he answered me on the women and children thing.

Am I ok with it, only a moron would even think of something like this, much less say it on an open forum.

Sorry, I meant are you ok with how i quoted him on that part.

jaystuw
11-12-2012, 12:36 PM
bowfin, looks like you crashed right thru my don't shoot the messenger and the apology and ended up in the ditch . its ok, take a deep breath. shake it off.Its only a forum. The trolling statement is cheap and easy but check it out, i have been on the site 7 years. i don't post but i am on daily and have been a shooter for 45 years. I post now simply because I believe the path to preserving gun rights should be based on non violence and the rule of law. simple as that. If the owner or the guys that run the site believe my position is out of touch or disruptive they are free to band me. but bowfin, dont bet the farm that they will. Jay

Jal5
11-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Hey guys lets get back to the original subject of my post.
It is partially based on your political philosophy, but there is a separate subforum for political discussion.

so what have you bought this past week since the election?

Love Life
11-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Brass, powder, primers, a few cheeseburgers, couple cords of wood, huge case of snickers bars, peanut butter (on sale!), and other little things

starmac
11-12-2012, 03:43 PM
UH a couple loaves of bread , some ice cream, and gasoline. That just about covers it.
Oh yea I've got a new peep sight coming, I actually bought it before the election though.

I guess that isn't right. I bought a 600 buck off road led light and 4 stainless screws to mount it with. lol

Bullet Caster
11-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Just got through reloading my 51 pieces of 7.62x39. That was a chore all to itself. I think I got some lube balls around the case neck 'cause there's a small bulge there. I guess I shoulda resized them to clean off excess lube. Will be doing that next time.

Ran all reloads through my AK to see if all would chamber. Some with the bulged necks would just barely chamber. Had to put foot on bolt carrier handle to get the bulged ones out of the gun. Now I gotta buy more powder, primers and somewhere to get next lead supply. Having a hard time getting it around here in eastern TN. BC

nitroproof
11-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Just bought 1K Large Rifle + 1K Small rifle primers and a 525 bulk box .22 LR's

.22-10-45
11-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Very interesting posts..some very sobering. I must say I need to start being better prepared..saving up for stand-by gen. (natural gas). Starting to stock up on rice, beans, pasta..even if just for winter preparidness.
But your posts have got me thinking..and observing...While doing walk around house last weekend..and looking at other homes in area, it seems to me the average modern American home is far from ideal from a defensive standpoint.
My own has brick exterior..not sure just how "bullet proof" this would be against heavy .30 cal.?
But the main weakpoint on all of them is the numerious windows and doors...you sure wouldn't want to be walking upright thru house if someone was firing at you outside.
The only solution I have come up with so far would be to cover window & door openings with steel plate.
Now I am sure the missus wouldn't be in favor of this type of home "improvement"..until the bullets start to fly! But I was thinking of some type of hanger arangement..sort of like a storm window? But the larger ones would sure be heavy.
The ones facing road would probably need to be of AR500 grade?
I guess the best way would be to have them built in on new construction..slide or fall into place.
And what about the roof? someone with a chainsaw & they could burn you out!
Other than this, a reinforced concrete bunker, with most living area underground would be best...Either way..it's kind of depressing to think of having to live this way in the U.S.!:cry:

Boerrancher
11-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Since I don't own any black guns, the day after the election I went to the back of the safe, removed granddad's old M1 Garand, and his ammo belt that hung there with it. It has ten pouches and each had an empty M1 clip in it. I pulled out 100 pieces of commercial 30-06 brass and started looking for a load that would properly function. I settled on 50 grains of IMR4064 behind a 150 grain Remington bronze point. I loaded up 80 of them, filled all 10 clips and placed them back in grandpa's ammo belt. Now grandpa's Garand leans against the wall between my night stand and the front bed post, and his ammo belt hangs on the bed post.

I know that the old Garand is not as wiz bang high speed mall ninja as a black gun is, when it comes to looks, but if I can see it through the sights the bullet will get there with enough authority to deliver a nice wake-up call, unlike most of the lighter weight projectiles that come from the black guns. I am not knocking the black guns for all of you who own them. Heck I used them for nearly 20 years and the one I carried in Afghanistan was a shooter. I just prefer the heavier calibers myself.

As to considering any new purchases, I am thinking of selling a couple of my bolt guns and buying a flat top M4 to carry as a 4 wheeler and tractor gun. There are getting to be too many coyotes and other varmints running around that a light weight 223 semi auto would work well for thinning out. I will mount a Trigicon M-150 scope on it and call it good. I don't want any of the stupid rails on the hand guard, or any of the other **** that people like to load them up with. I want a plain simple rifle and scope combo that I am familiar with and know how to deploy quickly.

This will be my first and only black gun purchase. I have never had much need for a black gun I had a Nat. Match AR years ago and sold it because it was a pre ban and I was offered more money for it during the ban that what I thought the gun was worth. Since the ban expired I would say that I was right. I more than tripled my money by selling it.

Best wishes,

Joe

Jim
11-13-2012, 11:49 AM
..... Now grandpa's Garand leans against the wall between my night stand and the front bed post, and his ammo belt hangs on the bed post.

.....I know that the old Garand is not as wiz bang high speed mall ninja as a black gun is, when it comes to looks, but if I can see it through the sights the bullet will get there with enough authority to deliver a nice wake-up call,.....
Best wishes,

Joe

YES SIR!! That's what I'M talkin' about! Eight rounds of full power .30 calibers goin' down range will sho' 'nuff wake 'em up!

:shock: :holysheep [smilie=w:

popper
11-13-2012, 06:07 PM
My 308 AR has a 20 rnd mag, no hurt thumb and shoots cast as well as jacketed. Stoner designed it as a deer rifle.

kbstenberg
11-13-2012, 06:30 PM
I don't mind saying I am running scared. Worst scenario I consider is total confiscation of all firearms and gun related equipment.

Blammer
11-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Well I think everyone and their brother has bought all the 308ammo there is and projectiles are hard to find too!

Blammer
11-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Boer, may want to shoot a few enbloc's full to make sure it works well. :)

I'm just sayin...

Love Life
11-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Just a little

175lt2
11-13-2012, 10:04 PM
On election day before results were in I picked up an antique rifle I purchased on gun broker and while I was at the gunshop I picked up an ar 15 complete lower. A few days after the election I dropped $1000 on assorted powder primers and lead shot, Im pretty much broke now but at least I know the value of this stuff will go waaaayyy up in the next few months:smile:

Mike Hughes
11-13-2012, 10:07 PM
powder, primers and lead. Also need to renew my membership with NRA, without them, we may have already had our gun rights taken away.

175lt2
11-13-2012, 10:11 PM
I don't mind saying I am running scared. Worst scenario I consider is total confiscation of all firearms and gun related equipment.

I don't think they are stupid enough to try that, But they will use regulations and taxes to raise the price of ammunition and components to the point nobody can afford them.

M-Tecs
11-13-2012, 10:16 PM
I don't think they are stupid enough to try that, But they will use regulations and taxes to raise the price of ammunition and components to the point nobody can afford them.

I agree with that but the real battle will be won or lost in the Supreme Court. O’s appointments will make a loss a reality.

Boerrancher
11-14-2012, 09:40 AM
Boer, may want to shoot a few enbloc's full to make sure it works well. :)

I'm just sayin...

Why do you think I worked up 100 pcs of brass. Once I found a load in the manual that I thought would work, I loaded 4 of them, started the empty clip in the rifle and then loaded the four rounds in the clip and pushed it home. I fired the 4 with out a feed problem, and the clip popped out with no difficulties. I loaded 16 more cases and popped them in two en blocks and headed back out the door. 16 rounds rapid fire with out a hitch and I figured I was good to go.

I do appreciate the reminder though, because sometimes I do have some huge brain farts. Just like the last 4 days. I spent several hours building a custom rifle on a 98 action. I have several new chambered and threaded barrels for the 98 that are of various cals. I thought I was building a 308, never bothered to check. I put everything together, polished and blued everything, put it in a nice synth stock and scope and went out on the back deck to zero it with a box of 308 shells. They wouldn't chamber. As it turns out I grabbed an 8x57 barrel instead of a 308 win. I had some mil sup 8mm ammo so I zeroed it to see how it would shoot. I will say it is a shooter, as after it was zeroed I started shooting squirrels at over 300 yards with it as they would run out into my recently picked cornfield. I am so mad. I hate the 8x57. I do have a set of dies but no brass, no bullets, or molds. The few boxes of milsurp ammo I have is 50 year old berdan primed European stock, so it can't be reloaded. Oh well I will shoot it up and then trade the gun off or re-barrel it.

Best wishes,

Joe

bruce drake
11-14-2012, 10:58 AM
Joe,

You need some 8mm boolits? I'll throw some in a box for you this week. LEE's 175gr RN-Gaschecked are nice bullets. You can also cutdown 30-06 brass for your Mauser as well.

Or just pull the barrel and start over...

Bruce

Harter66
11-14-2012, 04:14 PM
I've been buying 1k primers every 6 weeks or so for 2 years. All I "need" is a refill of the rifle powder.

I put a binder payment on an old beat up ratty model 12 closet queen. A .690 rb mould and 1 125 RNFP 6 holer are getting ordered next week.

I've horded up all the low buck ammo cans I can get. Kinda cool I found some mortar cans that will just hold the taken down M 12s in a nice dry dust free place.

Now if that X57 brass were to just fall in my pocket................. berdan or not....... wink....nudge.

Dale in Louisiana
11-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Oh, no! You all are all WRONG! The re-election of Obama shows that America has grown past its violent and sordid past. You don't need to worry about self-defense. It's all unicorns and Skittles.

I took all my guns and ammo and gave them to our local law enforcement authorities because ONLY people with special training should have guns.

Our government knows what's best for us. Just lay back and relax. It's gonna be soooo good.

dale in Louisiana
(who would never resort to sarcasm)

starmac
11-14-2012, 06:54 PM
i'm going to save mine, incase I need to donate them to some cause. One little piece at a time. lol

Blacksmith
11-14-2012, 10:14 PM
I was on my way to give all my guns, ammo, and components to some needy Law Enforcement Agencies when a terrible boating accident occurred and I lost everything.

starmac
11-14-2012, 10:21 PM
I was on my way to give all my guns, ammo, and components to some needy Law Enforcement Agencies when a terrible boating accident occurred and I lost everything.

Me thinks it is pretty easy to overload a boat will float when you load one with lead. lol

Boerrancher
11-15-2012, 12:05 AM
Now if that X57 brass were to just fall in my pocket................. berdan or not....... wink....nudge.

I would gladly send them to you but I only fired 20 of them and half of them the necks cracked. This milsurp ammo is dated 1946 on the head stamp. I don't have much of it but I will save all of the empties for you if you want. You may end up with 30 or 40 pcs. I was going to send them to the scrap dealer, but if you can use them I will save them.

I have got to get through deer season and thanksgiving then I can get back to shooting. I was wanting a nice looking light weight 308 to finish up deer season with, but I got the barrels mixed up.

Best wishes,

Joe.

fouronesix
11-15-2012, 12:35 AM
Have had enough guns, 22rf ammo, bullets, molds, lead, powder, primers and caps since before 2008 so no real need for more. However, a couple of days ago did purchase a .662 roundball mold for my "last ditch" smoothbore musket and/or 12ga shotgun.

Harter66
11-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks, Boerrancher,
Brass of any sort out here is scarce short of special ordering.

paul h
11-16-2012, 02:03 PM
I've been buying 1k primers every 6 weeks or so for 2 years. All I "need" is a refill of the rifle powder.

I put a binder payment on an old beat up ratty model 12 closet queen. A .690 rb mould and 1 125 RNFP 6 holer are getting ordered next week.

I've horded up all the low buck ammo cans I can get. Kinda cool I found some mortar cans that will just hold the taken down M 12s in a nice dry dust free place.

Interesting you have funds to buy that stuff and yet still haven't paid me for the two 7mm barrel blanks I shipped you over two months ago.

Love Life
11-16-2012, 02:08 PM
:popcorn:

paul h
11-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Finally got paid.