PDA

View Full Version : Heroin for the common man

facetious
11-09-2012, 06:06 AM
Last night when I got to work there were the guys having a last smoke be for going in. Every one saying how sick thy were of having to work for a living, in the locker room it was the same thing. When one said how much he wish he could quit it hit me, working for a living is like doing heroin. Few ever quit and even then it isn't long and thy are looking for a new fix. You will keep working till you can't remember what life was like be for you started, and when you get to retire thy start sending you your pension and social security checks in small metered doses like methadone for old work addicts.
So keep working and have a nice day.

WILCO
11-09-2012, 06:30 AM
That's one way of looking at it.

x101airborne
11-09-2012, 07:53 AM
That is why I am a stay at home dad! I kicked the addiction.

captaint
11-09-2012, 07:59 AM
Well, I guess until somebody comes up with a better program, I'll just keep pluggin along. I do plan to retire in 4 years, though...... Then - the smaller doses. enjoy Mike

Roosters
11-09-2012, 08:26 AM
I retired in Dec. 2008. After about two weeks adjusting to my new schedule and with help from here getting started casting I’m cured !!
With some planning on your part and some luck you will to some day. The planning is important and cant be started to soon.

Addiction Free since 2008
Roosters

Jim
11-09-2012, 08:48 AM
I wish I had a job to get up and go to.

garym1a2
11-09-2012, 09:18 AM
I like my work. Being an engineer is great.

MBTcustom
11-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Gen 3:17 And unto Adam He said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
Gen 3:18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
Gen 3:19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

I think the part of life where we don't work is the illusion. (0-12 years old?) from the time I could dress myself and see what time it was, I had responsibilities that I was expected to keep up with. If I didn't, then there were consequences. It's been downhill ever since. More and more responsibilities, less and less time, harder and harder consequences for failure.
I think its amazing that anyone can get so good at this game of life, that they have money, time, and health enough to retire. Retirement is an amazing achievement! but it isn't free. 15 years of retirement was bought with 45+ years of slavery to other people. Most figure that's an acceptable arrangement.
Is it an addiction? No. It's a responsibility. We are compelled to do both, but the difference is the result of quitting the game. If you quit an addiction, your life gets better in the long run. If you quit a responsibility, your life will get harder before it ends completely.
Not even the same thing.
I can't tell you how many people I know who have retired only to croak off much earlier than they anticipated. In contrast, I know men who were older than dirt who still get up and work at something, still remain tied to the clock, and have long happy lives.....full of work.

FergusonTO35
11-09-2012, 09:37 AM
You hit the nail on the head, Goodsteel.

Jim
11-09-2012, 09:45 AM
..... I know men who were older than dirt who still get up and work at something, still remain tied to the clock, and have long happy lives.....full of work.

You have no clue how much I wish I were in that situation. I so badly miss what I used to do and the guys I did it with.

But, alas, my body has revolted against me because I abused it for thirty years. I beat the stuffin's outa' myself with all that heavy work and it has come back to bite me in the transom. Now I live in a small town with high unemployment, no job and no hope of finding one.

GT27
11-09-2012, 09:58 AM
I wish I had a job to get up and go to.

I concur with Jim,I've been out a year and 8 months now!!At 51, with just a high school diploma what are my chances of finding a job to support my family???:groner:

Boerrancher
11-09-2012, 10:09 AM
I am one of the lucky ones, or unlucky ones depending on how you look at it. I was medically retired after 18 years of service after being wounded in Afghanistan. I enjoy the time I get to spend with my wife and children. I still get out on the days that I am able and do work here on the farm. I would love to once again be strong and fit enough to work a regular job, because although we are able to pay all of our bills with my retirement, sometimes there is just too much month at the end of the money, especially when one of the kids breaks their glasses or needs something extra for school. Also there is not a lot of extra money to buy reloading supplies so I have to limit how much I shoot.

I really miss the Army, because I loved spending time with the soldiers. I started out as a grunt and later became an officer. As Major Drake very well knows the career path of an officer as you move up in rank removes you more and more from the men who actually do the hard work. I as at a point in my career where after my tour in Afghanistan I would no longer get to do the things I enjoyed most about the Army, so maybe it was for the best. Also I served under one ******* as commander in chief, I am glad I am not serving under this ******* as well.

Best wishes,

Joe

MBTcustom
11-09-2012, 10:18 AM
I have a feeling that Jim and Joe and everybody else here are doing a lot more than sitting on your can letting your mind go to waste. You are about your business, whether it makes you any money or not can be debated, but you are moving.
I didn't mean my post as a lecture to any of you fine gents. I was merely pointing out A: that work is supposed to be a life long proposition, and B: it is good for us because when we stop thinking, and being disciplined, our minds and bodies go to rot, which is in stark contrast the the MO of heroin or addictive drugs.

Blammer
11-09-2012, 10:22 AM
That is why I am a stay at home dad! I kicked the addiction.

me too!

I work part time just to keep the monotony down.

gnoahhh
11-09-2012, 10:34 AM
A heart attack at age 55 four years ago took the wind out of my sails. Since then I found a job supporting the labs of a small liberal arts college that essentially allows me to tinker all day in a completely equipped wood shop and metal shop, without any co-workers and an absentee boss. Since I had to wipe out my 401K for medical expenses, I'll be 'working' here 'til I die. Luckily it's pretty laid back and low impact, and what I love to do, but the pay sucks. Side jobs (including gun work for the boss) keep my head above water, powder in the hopper and tires on the truck.

Got-R-Did
11-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Retired at age 39 the first time, but that lasted only about 2 wks. Spent 8 yrs in my next pursuit, and although I loved it, the physical demands soon outstripped my ability to keep up with the younger (half my age or less) crew. Now a Stay-@-Home Dad as well and while I am only doing slightly more than when our Daughter was much younger, I don't know how I had time to work. I often have the luxury of handloading, shooting, hunting and fishing because these are interests that my Daughter and I share. No problem staying busy here, especially with a new driving permit recently acquired in the household. I am blessed, indeed.
Got-R-Did.

white eagle
11-09-2012, 11:29 AM
seem as though when I am not at work I am working
so keep it coming

popper
11-09-2012, 11:42 AM
I have had a blessed life. Worked since 14. Enjoyed most every day of it. Got retired at 67 by a bunch of yuppies, looked for work for a couple years. Get a few calls now about jobs but I found shooting, reloading and casting. Here is my 'crew' now.

Echo
11-09-2012, 12:19 PM
Siggy Freud said 'Man lives to work, and to love', or words to that effect. To rest is to rust. At 77, I have a new, much younger (76), GF who will keep me busy in several ways. New smelting table, new casting bench for the patio, my cup runneth over.

geargnasher
11-09-2012, 01:19 PM
I took off "work' almost a year ago to work full-time at building us a home. I can't wait to go back to a paying job. There's something that earning a living at something you don't hate does for the soul that's tough to describe, and not working leaves a hole. It has to do with a sense of self worth. As they say, the Marines don't ever experience those sorts of problems.

Gear

Silvercreek Farmer
11-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Sad thing is, a lot of companies make you go cold turkey, instead of cutting your hours for a while to help wean off. One of my coworkers just retired after 41 years. They handed him his proverbial watch and waved good bye. I figured I would give him a few weeks to settle in before I give him a call for lunch, see how things are going, but I don't see him sitting still. But another good friend and coworker retired to sitting around the house, like my grandfather, and his life is slowly going to pot.

Personally, I think we (as americans) need to diversify our daily lives a bit. High schoolers need to spend less time with their butts in a seat and more time doing some real work, it would help them appreciate their education. Workers need to spend more time in the classroom, traveling, and with their families, becoming smarter, exposed, and more motivated workers and "retirees" need to keep working in the capacity that they are able but retain the flexibility to do what they want, when they want, which is why most of us want to retire anyway.

I was fortunate enough to be able to work and educate myself at the same time with a MWF/TT schedule. I loved it, I never had to do the same thing two days in a row!

JeffinNZ
11-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Goodsteel made a good point about folk retiring and then turning up their toes. My dad retired at 60 in the good old days when that was the retiring age; now 65 here. He never had any hobbies and spent his spare time gardening and pottering around the house. His last job was a storeman and was active. Once he retired he slowed up and his decline began. The final straw was when he could no longer keep up the family home and had to move from the house he had lived in for 60 years. Broke his heart. He has been gone 7 years now.

km101
11-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Work is not an addiction if you are doing something you enjoy. And retirement is not drudgery or dull if you have hobbies or interests that you enjoy. The trick is to find something that you like in either part of your life and get on with it. I retired and have really enjoyed it for the most part. No there's not always enough money at the end of the month, but when have you really had enough? The bills, the mortgage and the groceries are covered and often there is a little left over for hobbies, so life is good! And for the first time since I was about 12 or 13 years old, I get out of bed in the morning and do what I want to do!! (or what my wife tells me to do! :) ) So retirement is not "breaking the addiction", it is being set free to enjoy yourself in a different way.

Bob Krack
11-09-2012, 05:54 PM
I was always extremely lucky to find work that I truly enjoyed.

I worked for about 50 years, usually would have shown up even if the pay were reduced. Sometimes, even for no pay. I dreamed about my job(s).

At 63 years old the boss told me that he did not need me any longer since I was not willing to work "full-time". Broke my heart because my body would no longer stand up to what he called "full-time". His idea of "full-time" was 60 to 84 hours each week.

I had worked many many 84 hour weeks and when I reached the point that I (physically) had to have a breather, it was time to be let out to pasture.

So in a slightly different manner than Jim but close to the same, I miss the job.

Yea, I am addicted, but not to the money...... just for the sense of accomplishment. Are we on the same page Jim?

Thanks for listening to me.

Bob

shooter93
11-09-2012, 06:56 PM
I suppose I'm lucky...I have the only job I ever wanted and have always loved the work. I have a small construction company. It has broken my body up, I'm to old now to find an easy job, but I still manage to keep working. Countless times neighbors near the job we're doing stop over and comment.....it's so hard to believe you guys are working, we hear so much laughter and fun going on....i wish I had a job like that.
Anymore the money is getting pathetic. I would have like to known it was possible to retire if I need to but I lost all hopes of retirement with the first bailout collapse of 401's and I'm certain this next 4 years will complete the job.
I'm happy though and I can drive you around and show you what I've done with my life so no regrets at all.

MT Gianni
11-09-2012, 09:28 PM
M y wife and I have both worked since we married. Very often I was the only one that got paid for it.

41 mag fan
11-09-2012, 09:49 PM
You have no clue how much I wish I were in that situation. I so badly miss what I used to do and the guys I did it with.

But, alas, my body has revolted against me because I abused it for thirty years. I beat the stuffin's outa' myself with all that heavy work and it has come back to bite me in the transom. Now I live in a small town with high unemployment, no job and no hope of finding one.

I hear you there all to well Jim. Need my right knee replaced, now as of yesterday I am pretty sure I tore the cartilage in my left knee.

getting old sucks, and I have to realize i can't do what I used to do at the age of 30.
Yesterday i threw 3 bags of rock dust on my shoulder and started walking, that was 210lbs i carried about 150- 200'
Now I'm paying for it, i can't hardly walk without falling.

Wife tells me to get out of the coal mines before I can't walk. I'm starting to think she's right.

Aces an Eights
11-10-2012, 12:44 AM
I don't know if the Germans were right about "Work shall set you free" but it sure makes cold beer taste better at the end of the day. ;-)

.22-10-45
11-10-2012, 01:18 AM
Few years ago, I purchased a German sporting rifle made by H. Scherping. Called The late Gary Staup on info. The proof date was March 1915 Gary said gunmakers frequently waited until they had several guns made up before sending out for proofing. Scherping died in 1915 so probably one of his last.
Gary had book on German gunmakers..Scherping was listed from 1835 to 1915..80years..he had a pretty long life I noted....No Gary said..those were the years he was a gunmaker!
There was no social security those days..no retirement..you usually died in the traces..but I suppose if you were doing something you loved..it sure beat the modern retirement home!

starmac
11-10-2012, 01:41 AM
In 1915, I doubt there was any form of retirement anywhere in the world. What year did the very first person draw any social security here.
I am sure lots of smaller countries still has nothing of the sort.

CLAYPOOL
11-10-2012, 02:15 AM
This is the "FIRST" time in my life that I don't have some one telling me what to do..No mom, dad, wife, boss kids,,teachers, etc..Loving what time I have left..

Idaho Sharpshooter
11-10-2012, 02:27 AM
I took early retirement in October of 2008. Bought a used Jaguar XK-8 convertible four weeks later, went Cape Buffalo and Elephant hunting four weeks after that.

I hunt Africa every even-numbered year.

I still do a little writing, but that is like an open-ended boolit casting, reloading and testing program that I get paid to do on my schedule.

God has blessed me richly. Life, Salvation, a good Christian Wife, and the income to do what I want within reason.

facetious
11-10-2012, 06:48 AM
Well this turned out different then I thought it would. It started out with some of us joking around at work and lasted all night so I thought I would try posting it just for fun. I have seven years to go to retire at 62 and can't hardly wight. I started in this newspaper thing when I was 22 if I make it to 62 I will have been doing the same thing for 40 years. It isn't a bad job but things sure have changed over the years. Who would have thought it would it would have gone down hill as fast as it has. Even so I still think I have been lucky. I got in to it when things were good, time to build up my pension and 401-k , buy a house and a good chance of being able to move to some place we want to be to retire. As to the keep moving thing, when I was a kid my dad had all kinds of rules ( I think he was making them up as he went just to mess with me) one of them was you had to do something every day. He didn't care what it was but you will do something. Ride your bike, play games out side, go fishing, sit in the woods and shoot at trees with your BB gun, didn't mater but you will not do nothing. Even to day it drives my wife nuts, telling me to just sit and relax, telling me that you don't have to do something all the time.
The sad thing is how many guys don't have any hope of ever retiring. There plan is to work till thy drop, for some it's been bad luck for some it's from not planing . One of the things my dad was all ways telling me was that if you are not thinking ten years a head , then you are all ready ten years behind ! I guess I was lucky to have had some one pushing me to think a head.

41 mag fan
11-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Well this turned out different then I thought it would. It started out with some of us joking around at work and lasted all night so I thought I would try posting it just for fun. I have seven years to go to retire at 62 and can't hardly wight. I started in this newspaper thing when I was 22 if I make it to 62 I will have been doing the same thing for 40 years. It isn't a bad job but things sure have changed over the years. Who would have thought it would it would have gone down hill as fast as it has. Even so I still think I have been lucky. I got in to it when things were good, time to build up my pension and 401-k , buy a house and a good chance of being able to move to some place we want to be to retire. As to the keep moving thing, when I was a kid my dad had all kinds of rules ( I think he was making them up as he went just to mess with me) one of them was you had to do something every day. He didn't care what it was but you will do something. Ride your bike, play games out side, go fishing, sit in the woods and shoot at trees with your BB gun, didn't mater but you will not do nothing. Even to day it drives my wife nuts, telling me to just sit and relax, telling me that you don't have to do something all the time.
The sad thing is how many guys don't have any hope of ever retiring. There plan is to work till thy drop, for some it's been bad luck for some it's from not planing . One of the things my dad was all ways telling me was that if you are not thinking ten years a head , then you are all ready ten years behind ! I guess I was lucky to have had some one pushing me to think a head.

There's some very good words and meaning in that paragraph there facetious. I agree with your father on the thinking ahead. One thing me and my wife but heads on, I'm always two steps ahead in thinking about the what if, we argue, it happens, she hears my I told you so, I'm in the doghouse for a week after that.

Kids need to be made to do something everyday, not sit in front of a screen playing video games.

MBTcustom
11-10-2012, 09:01 AM
I guess I'm just weird.
When I was a kid, my dad gave me as much rope as he thought I could handle. He encouraged me to make, think, write, and do. We were allowed only 1 hour of television on Saturday mornings. He gave me knives, and taught me how to whittle, later I graduated to the shopsmith. I became interested in metal, and when I was 14 years old I made a cap and ball pistol out of a gocart axle. I will never forget that project! I barely slept for 2 weeks. I had never thought about mechanisms before and It was like my mind had found a lolly-pop that was too big to eat all at once. I still have that pistol and it still blows my mind that I managed to make something that good at 14 years old.
That project was too slow. The fundamental problem was that my mind worked faster than my hands, therefore learning was hindered. I was just a kid and broke as a duck, so I built a coal forge with the help of a local welder. I think he saw that my mind was active, and he gave me lots of time and materials. I would sneak into the local landfill to get metal for supplies. I made lots of knives and just about anything I wanted, but a coal forge is slow going and a very hard way to make things move.
I became convinced that making things should be my vocation. I was scared to tell my father though, because he is a scientist (no BS, the sign over the door at his work says "chief scientist") and all of my siblings are engineers, lawyers, nurses, and chemists (I am one of seven).
Anyway I finally plucked up the courage at 16 to tell my dad that I want to be a machinist. I think he could tell that I was nervous to tell him that, but he was all for it and told me that he would help me, but that I must get a college education. He also told me that if I made sure I was the best, that I would stand before kings (still working on that one).
I got an education and got back to work.
I have continued to gather machine tools and now I have a machineshop of my own. I wake up, go to the day job and make aerospace test fixtures and bearing assemblies, then I come home and work on guns and the occasional machining job.
The point is, I started working when I was 12 and I haven't let up an inch since. Every ounce of my energy is directed at doing what I love, and I can't get enough of it. Even when I am dog sick, and I can think of nothing else, I can still think about firearms and mechanisms.
I fully expect to die with a pair of calipers in my pocket and oil on my hands, cause I'm never going to quit!
Retire? I am about as retired as I ever expect to be. :D

GT27
11-10-2012, 05:18 PM
IMHO,God,then your health,close behind that would definitely be family,all the material things are just "icing on the cake!" My priorities are correct according to the bible,and what I was taught growing up,having parents that were devout christian's! I can also boldly say if this is un-agreeable,you need to take a long look in the mirror and re-prioritize your life, and be honest with yourself...

starmac
11-10-2012, 05:42 PM
My dad always insisted I do something everyday too. Till the garden, gather eggs, feed the cattle, hogs and chickens, even rabbits for a year or so. help butcher the livestock. (all the above) dig postholes. lol I can't complain as by the time I was 12 I could spend every weekend in the woods, at the lake or camped on the bay by myself, just a huntin and fishin, if I wasn't working.

acemedic13
11-10-2012, 05:58 PM
I was recently forced to retire from my previous job. I took my skills and experienc e and hit the road with them. I still work. Not really because I have too, but I couldnt imagaine not running the streets with lights and sirens blazing and helping the sick,injured and infirm in mycommunity. I learned real quick that i had to split the my time. It is tough though. When you love your job as much as you do fishing,shooting and hunting. My biggest problem with retirement was juggling my new work schedule with my new play schedule. I never had the latter before. It's real nice living life in moderation between work and play...... If you wanna see what happens when a man quits working... Watch a good draft horse when he gets retired....

Thumbcocker
11-10-2012, 06:49 PM
FWIW most successful drug addiction treatment programs require recovering addicts to get and keep a job.

lcclower
11-10-2012, 07:36 PM
I quit work about 5 years ago to take care of in-laws, we'd moved them here from the home town, they needed to go to the nursing home but did not have the assets. I'd been in the same position before so I had the skills and until it was time for hospice care it all worked out just fine.
I had some pretty good royalty checks from some natural gas (I was in the drilling business until it broke off in the '80's) so it was no biggie to quit the orange box store.
I figured I could go back to work after the folks passed away.
Except, of course, for the meltdown/recession/stimulus/depression, whatever you want to call it.
I'm currently old and unemployed, natural gas is dirt cheap, and bored to tears except for when I can pick up a fence or deck to build or a door to hang.

ErikO
11-11-2012, 04:46 AM
My dad loves retiring. He's done it three times and is working on a forth at 82.

I found a good place to work, average employment here is somewhere around 15 years. That sits just fine with me. :)

richhodg66
11-11-2012, 10:36 AM
I retired from the Army recently and honestly, could live off of it without working if I really wanted to (payed for house and a relatively frugal lifestyle).

I'm in a job keeping me a lot busier than my last two years or so in the Army and enjoying it. I really don't think I'd like giving up work completely just yet, though I think I'd find purposeful reasons for getting up in the morning if I did.