PDA

View Full Version : 2 days post election, I bring you a money-saving tip

Ole
11-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Those small political signs that are everywhere on the side of the road make great (free) target holders. The best ones are the ones that come with the legs attached to the plastic board.

I picked up about 10 of them today. Should get me by until the next election. :mrgreen:

HangFireW8
11-08-2012, 08:37 PM
I was tempted by the lumber in some of those signs, but was too late to work to stop and ask the owners if they wanted me to take them down.

Ole
11-08-2012, 08:49 PM
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Ole1830/IMG_5663.jpg

:Fire:

stubshaft
11-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Like you said they make great backers and you can use them to make R/C planes too.

cbrick
11-08-2012, 10:05 PM
The best ones are the ones that come with the legs attached to the plastic board.

Nope!

The best target holders say vote for obummer. [smilie=1:

Rick

runfiverun
11-08-2012, 10:10 PM
they make good light difussers for chronographs too.

Jal5
11-08-2012, 11:38 PM
I have been using those for years for target backers.

noylj
11-08-2012, 11:58 PM
I believe that they are owned by the candidate and you might just be stealing...

Ole
11-09-2012, 12:34 AM
I believe that they are owned by the candidate and you might just be stealing...

Let them come after me.

If I leave a dollar bill laying on the sidewalk am I supposed to be able to go after the guy that picks it up and sticks it in his pocket?

The election is over and finders keepers is in full effect here.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-09-2012, 12:41 AM
I believe they are suppose to be removed within 24 hours of the election, in MN anyway. So you are doing the candidate a favor by removing them, I think there is a fine if they are left up for any long period of time.

quilbilly
11-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Also good for covering a firewood pile or putting on top of your targets to keep the rain off.

mdi
11-09-2012, 12:17 PM
The best target holder is the guy that voted for obama...

Blammer
11-09-2012, 03:49 PM
the NIGHT of election and a few days before I was out collecting signs, I think I have a 4 yrs supply now. :)

I was on my way to the range, forgot my target stand so I stopped at the corner and took a few, I really didn't care who was being 'advertised' I just picked the best target backer ones. It's not like your stealing, so they can't call the cops on you.

RoGrrr
11-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Here in Ohio the polls close at 730 so I leave the house at 730 and in 2 miles I picked up 36 of the GOOD signs.
From past elections, I still have a bunch of the old style that are either paper or the plastic sheet formed into an envelope and draped over the U-Shaped bail and stuck into the ground.
Election law here says that they must be removed within 24 hours so, yes, we are doing the candidates a favor by removing their flotsam. One night while I was collecting them, a deputy sheriff drove by and waved at me so he knew what I was up to. The only time you can be hassled is by picking them up before election day.
And, mdi, the best target holder might just be OB himself....

Kraschenbirn
11-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Locally, the time frame for removal of signs posted on public property (roadsides, frontages, etc.) is 48 hours after the closing of the polls. However, this does not apply to signs posted on private property and removing those without the property owner's permission is considered theft and may be prosecuted as a misdemeanor. Actually, I know a guy who's still got a very large 'Ron Paul -2008' sign in his front yard...but he's kinda out in the country and tryin' to collect that one just might get someone a load of #8s in the britches, too.

Bill

arkypete
11-10-2012, 08:09 AM
Talk to Realtors and builders they have great signs. I've acquired some from Realtors who got out of the busines and builders the depression/recession took down. I'll use the steel frame with a 20 by 24 inch glass box placed over it. Most glass shops, hard ware stores, frame shops have the boxes.

Jim

RoGrrr
11-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Talk to Realtors and builders they have great signs. I've acquired some from Realtors who got out of the busines and builders the depression/recession took down. I'll use the steel frame with a 20 by 24 inch glass box placed over it. Most glass shops, hard ware stores, frame shops have the boxes.

Jim

arkypete
I don't understand the part about the glass box. Would you explain that part for me ?

evan price
11-10-2012, 01:16 PM
arkypete
I don't understand the part about the glass box. Would you explain that part for me ?

Glass is shipped in wood crates.

RoGrrr
11-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Glass is shipped in wood crates.

With complete information, I understand it now. Thanks.

fcvan
11-10-2012, 09:20 PM
I guess he who lives in glass box should never throw lead

GP100man
11-10-2012, 11:07 PM
As Blammer says "yrs supply of backers" !!!

muskeg13
11-11-2012, 04:49 PM
You know that you're advocating theft don't you. Some of the large 4x8 signs on wood stands cost over $100 each, and they don't belong to you. Someone paid big money for those signs. They are private property, not fair game. How about I just help myself to something of yours, like maybe take a fancy to your truck tires while you're stopped at the grocery store? It doesn't matter whether the signs are supposed to be removed within a certain time after the election, it's not your right to go around "collecting" (STEALING) them, and I doubt there is only a 24 hour deadline. I hope that you get caught!

Mooseman
11-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Actually, the Candidates ask people to remove the signs and discard them or they have to PAY people to go remove them and pay dump fees and that is Costly, so they dont care if you take them. Sarah Palin called my friends and asked us to take down her signs and dispose of them after she was elected Governor...as have other politicians here in Alaska.
If we use them for targets , it is called Recycling !

Oh, and by the way, most of the larger signs are placed on DOT Right-of Ways / City or State land so not private property...

Jal5
11-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Brought a bunch of signs out to the range yesterday for members to use, and picked up more today. Seems like more signs are left out this election cycle than previous years.

Mooseman
11-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Here is the law in Alaska...Signs on the ROW are fair game since they are illegal to begin with...http://dot.alaska.gov/campaignsigns/index.shtml