PDA

View Full Version : A pair of Original Remington 1858's

drcook
11-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Just sharing these with you all. It would be nice to have the disposable income to buy these. I don't have an extra $10,500.00 to spend on a set of percussion revolvers, Oh well.....

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Remington-1858-Army-44-caliber-revolvers-AH2992-.cfm?gun_id=100295615

make sure you go to their website here http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/
and check out some of the other antique firearms they have

Omnivore
11-08-2012, 06:12 PM
You'll occasionally find original '58s, suitable as shooters, for around 1,500 dollars. About what you'd pay for one of the a nicer, new, modern Smith & Wessons. Track of the Wolf sold one (not the Remington New Model, but its immediate predecessor which is very similar) about a week ago for around that price or a bit less, as I recall.

G&A Magazine has an article in the current issue, test firing a New Model Army and a Colt's 1851 Navy. They both grouped around 2.5" at 25 yards with both round ball and conical bullets.

fouronesix
11-08-2012, 06:25 PM
If they were more nearly identical and very close in serial number and had aged ivories and had period engraved initials of one owner on the ivories then maybe 10K or even more. But they look to be simply a couple of Rem 58s that had ivory grips added sometime more recently. For a shootable good tight action, excellent bore Rem 58 with decent finish the value is something like 2500. So if you had two good shootable, excellent bore 58s that would be 5000. Add 500 ea for ivory. That would end up about 6000 in value. So, the ones advertised would have to both have tight shootable actions, excellent bores and some original finish left to reach 6K not the 10k asking price. (It looks like they both have some original finish but the finish is obviously way different between them.- the bottom one looks pretty good actually but would depend on the action and bore condition.)

No matter, they would make an attractive pair.

RobsTV
11-08-2012, 06:38 PM
The cylinder and trigger should also have numbers that match the barrel and frame (first digit usually omitted on cylinder).

They made a few with factory nickle plating (unsure of mine, but serial number with 1864 date range and condition seem possible).

I really enjoy this original unrestored 1858. Brings a grin like the S&W 500 brings a grin.
Try to shoot it every other month.

It was the S&W 500 of its day.