PDA

View Full Version : Load Data Question

dave1909
11-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Hello to everyone. I shoot 9mm, and use a lead cast 126gn boolit that i have a friend make for me. I have been loading these behind 4.2gn of Universal Clays, and they chrono at 1075. Thet are a little too snappy for me. I understand that switching to a 147gn boolit will correct this, but that is not an optin for me. I am thinking of changing powders. What do you guys and gals recommend? Thanks for the help.

bobthenailer
11-08-2012, 10:10 AM
In general , Fast burning powder produce less recoil than slower burning powders.
Heaver bullets produce more recoil than lighter bullets,
the best way to reuduce recoil is to use a lighter powder charge of UC powder to give you 1,000 fps
I have allways gotten the absulate best accuracy with med fast to med burning speed powders in the 9mm & 38 supers { WSF, WAP, Power Pistol & HS6} faster powders will work well, but not quite as accurate from my experince . a good load for faster powder would be 3.8grs of BE or Tightgroup for right around 1,000 fps
What brand & model 9MM are you shooting that the recoil is bothering you ? I have 3 and the smallest & lighest is a Kahr PM9 it weighs 15 oz unloaded , i find it a pleasure to shoot with loads @ 1,000 fps with 125 gr cast bullets.

dave1909
11-08-2012, 11:24 AM
I am shooting a Glock 19, and just got a M&P 9mm, and it seems that the felt recoil is worse with the M&P. I loaded some rounds with 4.0 Autocomp, but after reading your post, I am going to load some 3.8 Univ Clays rounds also. Thank You

ronbo40s&w
11-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Maybe you need one of the other backstraps to get the fit right. I have full-size m&p 40 and that was the key to comfort for mine. Reduced loads too will obviously help. is yours the full size m&p? Oh..and I also use universal clays. 4.8 gr with 180 gr missouri boolits at the moment. Hope that helps.

God Bless!

Ron

mdi
11-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Check your reloading manual for a lower load and/or different powder(Hodgon lists starting load for Universal and a 125 gr. cast @ 3.8 gr.). Some gun designs transmit felt recoil differently than others. And as bobthenailer stated, faster powders will have a different felt recoil (I always felt the faster powders gave a "snappier' recoil in my .44 Magnums). BTW, I've been using Unique under a 125 gr. cast bullet in my new FMK 9mm and because of it's lighter weight and design, recoil is felt more than my 9mm Tokerev...

mpmarty
11-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Beg, borrow or steal a .40 S&W and shoot it for a while. The 9mm is a pussycat and should not bother you.

ronbo40s&w
11-08-2012, 07:57 PM
That's been my experience too..with full size pistols anyway.

God Bless!

ron

williamwaco
11-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Hello to everyone. I shoot 9mm, and use a lead cast 126gn boolit that i have a friend make for me. I have been loading these behind 4.2gn of Universal Clays, and they chrono at 1075. Thet are a little too snappy for me. I understand that switching to a 147gn boolit will correct this, but that is not an optin for me. I am thinking of changing powders. What do you guys and gals recommend? Thanks for the help.

Please consider the most obvious solution. Try 4.0 then 3.8 grains of the same powder you already have before going out and buying new powder and / or bullets.

noylj
11-09-2012, 12:11 AM
1) get a heavier recoil spring--slower slide and less snap
2) lower the charge weight and, if necessary, get a lighter recoil spring.
The heavy bullet/fast powder gives a slower slide response and pushes a bit more than snaps.
The light bullet/slow powder is "snappier" but, for me, it recoils more straight back and I am back on target quicker. Feel like I'm waiting forever for those slow loads.
Most don't seem to feel recoil the way I do. To me, a 9x19 1911 feels like a .40S&W 1911 which feels like a 200gn bullet in a .45Auto 1911. Most of what I feel seems to be the slide coming back. That is until I shoot a mil spec 230gn FMJ--that always gives my wrist a twist. About 50 of those and my arthritis complains.
Thus, to me, felt recoil is NOT the same as actual recoil and you need to find what feels best to you for what you are trying to achieve.
If you want a faster powder, I like, in this order, 231/HP38, AA2, Solo 1000, N320 (seems a lot like 231/HP38 for a lot more money).