PDA

View Full Version : Submarines, and barometers.

waksupi
11-07-2012, 11:56 PM
Does a barometer function in a submerged submarine?

MtGun44
11-08-2012, 12:52 AM
In the sense of measuring pressure, yes. In the sense of telling you something about
the weather, no, since it is just looking at what is going on inside the sub, not what is
going on in the atmosphere, since the sub is isolated and pressure sealed away from
the atmosphere.

Bill

waksupi
11-08-2012, 02:26 AM
Bill, that is what I have been trying to tell a guy, who served on submarines!

Bob Krack
11-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Kinda like arguing with a guy about if the light in the refrigerator really does go out when ya close the door. :lol:

Bob

Jim
11-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Kinda like arguing with a guy about if the light in the refrigerator really does go out when ya close the door. :lol: Bob

Actually, the comparison I thought of is like tryin' to talk to somebody that says ya' can't shoot lead bullets without leadin' up the barrel! Right or wrong, they're firmly convinced an' ain't gonna listen, no matter what ya' tell 'em.

mold maker
11-08-2012, 10:44 AM
YES, it works just as on dry land, reading the pressure around it. It just has nothing to do with what is above the water. It is reading the barometric pressure within the sub. A barometer in a pressurized airliner works the same. It has no idea where it is and reads the pressure around it, not outside the plane.

Jim
11-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Yup. But because the pressure, humidity and temperature in a sub are all very closely controlled, a barometer on a submarine is about as useless as brakes.

Freightman
11-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Some folks can't see the truth in spite of the facts. Think that is called "Pig Headed"

shooter93
11-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Going diving Ric? and worried about the fishing weather?

polara426sh
11-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Yup. But because the pressure, humidity and temperature in a sub are all very closely controlled, a barometer on a submarine is about as useless as brakes.

Not entirely useless. You needed to know pressure on either side of a closed water tight door so you could know if you could even open the dang thing, or if when you undogged the door it would knock you on your hind side. For example, if there was a half pound d/p across a door, it would take around 1000 pounds of force to open.

waksupi
11-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Going diving Ric? and worried about the fishing weather?

I'm considering a new approach to ice fishing this season.

Blacksmith
11-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Ric

Tell your friend the barometer will only work in a sub if they leave the door open.

stubshaft
11-08-2012, 09:45 PM
:kidding:I hear they don't work when sealed in ice either.

Jammer Six
11-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Long term, hard core, no messing around. I like it.

"Sir, I have fourteen perch at 45 yards, course 97 magnetic, speed 11 knots."

"Prepare a full spread of torpedoes and open all doors. Stand by to harvest perch mush."

runfiverun
11-08-2012, 09:59 PM
i can assure you dropping a 1/4 lb of black powder through an ice hole will create a nice geyser.
you can then ice skate around for a while on nice smooth ice.

leftiye
11-09-2012, 05:00 AM
"Assure"? Sounds like the voice of experience. Eh?

Crawdaddy
11-09-2012, 04:55 PM
"Assure"? Sounds like the voice of experience. Eh?

Certainly all of us have dropped a 1/4 stick in a lake before? :)

WRideout
11-10-2012, 09:54 AM

I'm told that used to be called a Dupont spinner.
Wayne

GRid.1569
11-10-2012, 02:22 PM

Do Ya really need a barometer on a Sub to know it's wet outside ?... :kidding:

waksupi
11-10-2012, 06:55 PM

Good point!

Beau Cassidy
11-10-2012, 09:38 PM

That is about what I was thinking before getting to Jim's reply. Gee whiz? Is it gonna rain in a submarine or is a cold front gonna come thru? I guess if the pressure drops too much you better be looking for a leak!

Jammer Six
11-10-2012, 10:09 PM

Yup.

Made it soggy and hard to light.

starmac
11-11-2012, 12:57 AM

ER not to build a skating rink. lol

fatnhappy
11-11-2012, 10:58 AM

Well, if you use dynamite stand as close to the hole as possible.

Tom-ADC
11-11-2012, 04:13 PM
From a friend of mine a submarine chief.

Oh my, you fellas!
The depth guages are sealed against atmospheric pressure so that they are not affected by it. Similiar to bourdon
tubes, but not the same. Very accurate, the shallows are good for at least 6" changes in depth.
2 types of barometers on submarines. 1 type in mc-neuvering and control (only reads in inches of water + or minus
surface atmospheric which is zeroed). The other is a special altimeter which acts as a barometer down in the
diesel booth. Fark IF I KNOW why we have that 60's era fighter jet component, but it's about 60K of we don't use
it. BUT, I can tell you immediately when the head valve goes shut, LOL!
Pressure is monitored and regulated by daily operations to about + or - 2 - 3 inches of water from sea level pressure.
Natural losses in pressure come from the co2 scrubbers pumping co2 overboard so there are times when we come up just
to "equalize". The O2 generators also add to put a positive pressure on the boat from the water conversion. Then you have
cyclic air consumtion that happens from air operated equipment.
So easy, an A'gangr can do it!

hagar

wallenba
11-11-2012, 04:22 PM
The only reason they might have one in a sub, that I can think of, would be to monitor the regulated pressure inside. If the sub was diving deeper and the pressure hull was being squeezed, I guess it could force the pressure higher. Commercial aircraft cabins have a constant pressure inside, regulated by an outflow valve and compressed air from one of the engines compressor stages. So a sub might have to have a similar system to deal with the reverse situation.
If the crew had to escape the sub for any reason by surfacing, they would have to be breathing the same pressure as at sea level, or suffer physical problems.

Mud Eagle
11-11-2012, 06:18 PM
The only reason they might have one in a sub, that I can think of, would be to monitor the regulated pressure inside. If the sub was diving deeper and the pressure hull was being squeezed, I guess it could force the pressure higher. Commercial aircraft cabins have a constant pressure inside, regulated by an outflow valve and compressed air from one of the engines compressor stages. So a sub might have to have a similar system to deal with the reverse situation.

Pressurized aircraft have altimeters that read the pressure altitude outside the aircraft (and display it in terms of altitude) and cabin altimeters that show the pressure inside (and either display it in terms of pressure differential or altitude).

Subs have depth gauges that read pressure outside the hull and display it in terms of depth...no doubt they have a gauge that displays pressure inside the hull.

It would be just as important to know what the pressure is inside a sub as it is to have a "cabin altimeter" in a pressurized aircraft: without it, it is impossible to know if the systems that keep the interior pressures (and thus keep the human occupants conscious or alive) are working.

waksupi
11-11-2012, 07:39 PM
From a friend of mine a submarine chief.

Thanks Tom, I think you have it covered like a fat lady on a pot!

wallenba
11-11-2012, 08:14 PM
Pressurized aircraft have altimeters that read the pressure altitude outside the aircraft (and display it in terms of altitude) and cabin altimeters that show the pressure inside (and either display it in terms of pressure differential or altitude).

Subs have depth gauges that read pressure outside the hull and display it in terms of depth...no doubt they have a gauge that displays pressure inside the hull.

It would be just as important to know what the pressure is inside a sub as it is to have a "cabin altimeter" in a pressurized aircraft: without it, it is impossible to know if the systems that keep the interior pressures (and thus keep the human occupants conscious or alive) are working.

Commercial airliners maintain a cabin pressure equivalent to about 8000 feet above sea level. They maintain that, just the way I described, or things have changed since I was an active A & P. In this instance, I was just describing the way it is done, not measured. Yes, it is based on a pressure differential, just as engine power is.

JIMinPHX
11-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Commercial airliners maintain a cabin pressure equivalent to about 8000 feet above sea level.

That's the current standard, assuming that all systems are working properly. The new Boeing 787 is spec'd out to pressurize at a lower altitude for improved passenger comfort. The humidity level on them is supposed to be better too. I haven't had the opportunity to hitch a ride on one yet to check it out for myself.

JIMinPHX
11-11-2012, 09:03 PM

If I was on a sub & obummer told me it was wet outside, I'd want independent confirmation.

Mud Eagle
11-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Commercial airliners maintain a cabin pressure equivalent to about 8000 feet above sea level. They maintain that, just the way I described, or things have changed since I was an active A & P. In this instance, I was just describing the way it is done, not measured. Yes, it is based on a pressure differential, just as engine power is.

8,000 cabin altitude is the standard in commercial ops.

In the F-15E, the pressurization schedule depends on altitude: the schedule holds ambient pressure until 8,000', then 8000' until the low 20s, and then follows the equation [(altitude-8)/2].

I have some time in the Beech King Air, and there you manually dial in a cabin altitude, or a differential in PSI.

bigjason6
11-12-2012, 12:23 AM
Kinda like arguing with a guy about if the light in the refrigerator really does go out when ya close the door. :lol:

Bob

Bob, there's a little penguin living behind the ice cubes that turns out the light when you close the door. :)

wallenba
11-12-2012, 12:47 AM

Bob

Another Schrodinger's cat?