PDA

View Full Version : Blood doner?

NSP64
11-07-2012, 11:17 PM
I was reading some posts by Jal5 and he has a line at the bottom about being a blood doner.

I had signed up to donate some blood last month at work.
I had not donated since 2002 or so.

I get there and am questioned about all sorts of stuff.
I find out I am banned from donating for life!!!!
All because I served in the military and was stationed in W. Germany in the 80's.

Possible Mad Cow Disease exposure, and the only way to tell if exposed is through autopsy.

WTH :confused:

jcwit
11-07-2012, 11:20 PM
I've never been able to give blood. Had polio at 13 yrs, and am now a cancer surivor. Either one keeps you out.

1874Sharps
11-07-2012, 11:22 PM
NSP64,

I take it you did not consent to the autopsy. I am banned for the hydrocodone and warfarin.

NSP64
11-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Guess I better change my organ donor status also.

gmsharps
11-07-2012, 11:39 PM
I know what you mean about Germany. I was there during the 80's also and am now banned for life for giving blood. Just one of the many hazards of military life. The other 99% that do not serve in any capacity will never understand what toll military service has on the body and mind.

geargnasher
11-08-2012, 12:06 AM
I know what you mean about Germany. I was there during the 80's also and am now banned for life for giving blood. Just one of the many hazards of military life. The other 99% that do not serve in any capacity will never understand what toll military service has on the body and mind.

This is true. Thanks for doing it so I could earn a living at the profession of my choice and pay taxes in a free country without anyone shooting at me.

Gear

bob208
11-08-2012, 12:14 AM
they don't want extra sweet either.

472x1B/A
11-08-2012, 12:59 AM
Hey, what do mean they don't want extra sweet bob? The military and the Red Cross got gallons from me during the 20 years I was in. Course with AB neg type 'that is the sweetest of all''. Never sold a drop of blood but sold alot of plasma over the years.

Bloodman14
11-08-2012, 01:06 AM
I was reading some posts by Jal5 and he has a line at the bottom about being a blood doner.

I had signed up to donate some blood last month at work.
I had not donated since 2002 or so.

I get there and am questioned about all sorts of stuff.
I find out I am banned from donating for life!!!!
All because I served in the military and was stationed in W. Germany in the 80's.

Possible Mad Cow Disease exposure, and the only way to tell if exposed is through autopsy.

***:confused:

Yep, me, too. Just one more sacrifice on a list of many.

Alvarez Kelly
11-08-2012, 01:22 AM
I was "banned" for a while after service in the Middle East, but I can donate again now. I give twice a year.

Jim Flinchbaugh
11-08-2012, 01:24 AM
I'm out becasue of diabetes, warfarin etc. I am also a organ donor on my DL
but I bet that aint gonna happen either

CLAYPOOL
11-08-2012, 01:42 AM
Whats the problem with "warfarin", I was on it twice for blood clots..?

waksupi
11-08-2012, 02:15 AM
Warferin is actually a rat poison, and a blood thinner.

bob208
11-08-2012, 07:47 AM
diabetes. insulin shots

adkpete
11-08-2012, 07:52 AM
I am an insulin dependant diabetic and i donate blood. They told me at the donor center they would use my blood platelets, not whole blood.
Pete

arkypete
11-08-2012, 08:07 AM
Many years ago the Red Cross had set up a deal where if you gave blood you could donate your credit to whom ever you wanted.
Then I saw how much the head guys were making at the Red Cross and they stopped giving credit that I could pass to whom I determined could use it.
Well, I keep my blood now.

Jim

1Shirt
11-08-2012, 10:29 AM
I gave a number of gal of whole blood, and had over 50 platelet donations when the MD recommended that I had done enough. Don't regret it, but I hear what Arkypete says about big money and the head of the Red Cross. The blood does good, but I sure do question the bureaucracy of the Red Cross.
1Shirt!

Freightman
11-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Use to donate as often as I could, but some of the medicine I take as I got older prevent it now. Getting old aint for sissies.

Bad Water Bill
11-08-2012, 04:45 PM
My daughter was taking a friend for chemo every 4 days. Parking at the hospital was $20.00 for 4 hours. Both were out of work at the time so my daughter rolled up her sleeve the first time and gave blood instead of cash. The next treatment was 4 days away but you can not give blood that often.

Enter PLATELETS. LARA was able to give platelets each time her friend had a treatment.

bowfin
11-08-2012, 04:54 PM

JeffinNZ
11-08-2012, 05:16 PM
I donate every three months these days. VERY strict in NZ. The blood service was very happy the last couple of times as my girls had chicken pox earlier in the year and apparently my blood would have contained something rather useful. I just smiled and nodded....

wch
11-08-2012, 05:23 PM
According to news reports the CEO of the Red Cross made over $600,000 last year.
The CEO of the Salvation Army made $13,000.
My money goes to the Salvation Army, my blood to the local hospital.

smokeywolf
11-08-2012, 05:54 PM
I won't give diddly squat to the Red Cross for the very reason that wch lists. I heard 25 years ago that the Red Cross CEO's entire compensation package was in the millions.
Ever since, I bleed for United Blood Services.
Got some of it back about 5 years ago this Thanksgiving when I fell and split my head open to the skull. Idiot ER doctor didn't order an I.V. right away and I almost bled out. Took 5 attempts for the nurse to get the I.V. started because I was in the beginning stages of cardiovascular collapse.

smokeywolf

Bad Water Bill
11-08-2012, 07:41 PM
MANY MANY years ago we had a fire in town. Salvation Army was there handing out HOT coffee and donuts to the fire dept. Never saw Red Cross anywhere there was not a TV camera. Sally Ann was there many times so you know where my money goes.

camaro1st
11-08-2012, 08:44 PM
last year i had a day off work when the red cross was having a drive in town. swmbo had a appt. so i said i'll give too. Got in there and was treated like **** cause i didn't have a appt. I wouldn't of thought much about it but we was the only two there and they had 3 nurses and 2 milking stations. i keep my blood now.

Bullet Caster
11-08-2012, 09:00 PM
I would donate if I could. I contracted "the old soldiers" disease while serving in the USMC and now they won't take my blood because of the blood born disease. Hep C. However, I do thank all of you who do give blood, whether it be whole blood or the platelets. That shows me what type of individuals are here on this board. Once again, thank you one and all who donate blood. BC

firefly1957
11-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Way back in 1974 my friend donated blood and the volunteer messed his arm up so bad by breaking the vein in his arm i have never trusted them. In the 1980's i relieved people at work to give blood and another volunteer was cleaning up and dropped the uses needles on him my confidence was reinforced ! The worst thing i have seen with the red cross is one of the organizers of the blood drives who gave many pints of blood had a bad child delivery and needed 10 pints to live because of her blood type they charged her thousands of dollars with absolutely no credit for 8 years of activity in the red cross.

hiram1
11-08-2012, 09:13 PM
I dont give nada to the red cross.thay stay in the top motels and eat real good and get payed real good to.so i was in the va and seen how thay do so nope no way.

Blacksmith
11-08-2012, 09:17 PM
I gave regularly for years until they decided they didn't like the chemical mix the Dr. prescribed. Now I give it regularly at the lab to make sure the mix stays in limits. Getting old sucks.

Combat Diver
11-11-2012, 10:52 AM
I'm also banned for life because stationed in Germany also. However, I was on the bottom of the list for donors in Astan when the call would come out.

CD