PDA

View Full Version : "Our Town" topics

Dean D.
11-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Lately there have been many posts here in the "Our Town" section relating to the recent election and politics in general. Please note the rules for this section as stated at the very top of the page:

"Our Town This is the area for general forum Help, Info , Member Prayers and Board Updates. "Our Town" section for our member related issues . New Members please check in here for helpful hints. Off topic/humor/politics goes in off topic, politics. Please put shooting stuff in the shooting areas! Check the Classics and Stickies forum for helpful topics."

Lets try to keep this section of the forum in line with its intended purpose.

Thanks for your help!

runfiverun
11-08-2012, 01:49 AM
dean's kinda old.
carrying all those threads up and down the page is probably killin his knees. :lol:
say hey to teresa from me will ya..

waksupi
11-08-2012, 02:13 AM
Dean has a harem now?

Dean D.
11-08-2012, 05:23 AM
Now lookee there, who's calling whom old Lamar??? [smilie=l:

I WILL tell Tammy you said hey though. [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Freightman
11-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Getting "old" is head and shoulders above "not getting old" anyhow old is a mind thing think young and be young, think old and be old.

runfiverun
11-08-2012, 01:16 PM
jus tryin to get you in a "little" trouble...
i know how those red heads can get.''':lol:

Jammer Six
11-08-2012, 09:56 PM
If the man has a harem, he's just getting to be old enough!

Thank you, some of us aren't the least interested in anyone's politics, and dragging politics into a non-political discussion is extremely bad manners, according to Dad.

And if you piss him off, and he rises from his grave, I won't be able to help you.

Dean D.
12-18-2012, 11:19 PM
A bump as a reminder.

bushboy
12-19-2012, 01:56 AM
Off topic/humor/politics goes in off topic, politics. Please put shooting stuff in the shooting areas! Check the Classics and Stickies forum for helpful topics."

Why don't I see a forum and /or sub-forum for "off topic/politics"? I have looked in the Classics and Stickies forum but also see nothing re; this.

Thanks

Dean D.
12-19-2012, 02:13 AM
You do need to have a minimum of 25 posts and be a member for 30 days to have access to those sections. I can see this has caused a lot of posts here in Our Town by newer members. It does not take long to get your 25 posts in to have access to those areas though.

Our main reason for trying to keep this area clear of current event/political threads is so our members have a place they can share events directly involving the forum, themselves or other members. With all the current event threads lately it has drown out these type threads.

I hope everyone understands our intent.

waksupi
12-19-2012, 02:21 AM
Dean, has anyone ever told you, you are a COB?

Dean D.
12-19-2012, 02:22 AM
Yup, the one and only original!

runfiverun
12-19-2012, 02:37 AM
there's an upgrade from bob to cob?

Blacksmith
12-19-2012, 02:46 AM
Our secret sections you don't even know exist. I can't wait until I get to 3,000 posts to get to the really good sections!:bigsmyl2:

Just upping my post count to get there sooner. Just imagine the access Waksupi has.:kidding:

fatelk
12-19-2012, 01:21 PM
I hope everyone understands our intent.
Yes, and I appreciate the way you guys do it here also. Quietly moving a thread to "politics", with a polite reminder that it goes there and not here, is the nicest way I've seen it done. Some gun forums strictly ban politics completely, in hopes of avoiding offense towards their more, uh, leftward leaning members.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-19-2012, 01:51 PM
Our secret sections you don't even know exist. I can't wait until I get to 3,000 posts to get to the really good sections!:bigsmyl2:

Just upping my post count to get there sooner. Just imagine the access Waksupi has.:kidding:

Dang 3000, I can't wait

41 mag fan
12-19-2012, 01:54 PM
Dean, has anyone ever told you, you are a COB?

Does that have anything to do with corn??? :bigsmyl2:

snuffy
12-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Until a thread I was following got moved to the politics forum, I didn't know it existed. It's way down at the bottom of the forum list, I never go that "deep" on the list.

But, I'll obey the wishes of the mods. I agree that those threads don't belong here on our town.

I also agree that preventing a new member from posting a troll-like answer on the political forum is a great idea. 25 posts gives them a time to get a feel for what/who we are. Many thanks for the awesome job done here by our moderators!:D

Dean D.
12-19-2012, 02:01 PM
Does that have anything to do with corn??? :bigsmyl2:

Nice try, but not quite. :p 45Nut uses "BOB" which stands for "Bitter Old Bast***", I told him I wasn't bitter, just crazy...hence "COB".

Thats the history lesson for today.

41 mag fan
12-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Nice try, but not quite. :p 45Nut uses "BOB" which stands for "Bitter Old Bast***", I told him I wasn't bitter, just crazy...hence "COB".

Aha..i knew it was still true i could learn something new every day!!

Dean D.
02-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Bumped because we have a bunch of new members and this was on page 20+. Please read post #1, your help is always appreciated.

MT Gianni
02-01-2013, 08:42 PM
I had always referred to a COB as Cranky old beerstead.

Blacksmith
02-02-2013, 01:02 AM
I'm a Charming Old Bassmaster.

Dean D.
07-14-2013, 12:10 PM
Bumped again due to the recent rash of postings concerning current events and political topics. They do not belong in Our Town.

oldred
07-14-2013, 12:25 PM
Guilty as charged, won't happen again!

Swamp Man
07-15-2013, 05:39 AM
Lately there have been many posts here in the "Our Town" section relating to the recent election and politics in general. Please note the rules for this section as stated at the very top of the page:

"Our Town This is the area for general forum Help, Info , Member Prayers and Board Updates. "Our Town" section for our member related issues . New Members please check in here for helpful hints. Off topic/humor/politics goes in off topic, politics. Please put shooting stuff in the shooting areas! Check the Classics and Stickies forum for helpful topics."

Lets try to keep this section of the forum in line with its intended purpose.

Thanks for your help! I must confess I'm guilty of this and will reframe from such post or replies.

montana_charlie
07-15-2013, 03:01 PM
I must confess I'm guilty of this
Yeah, twice in two days I have violated the rules for the Our Town section with these two posts:

Yesterday
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?206470-Converting-F-1-Chrony-to-remote-panel&p=2303734&viewfull=1#post2303734
Today
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?206665-Ceramic-tumbling-media&p=2305212&viewfull=1#post2305212

But people keep starting these illegal threads, and nobody moves them to the appropriate 'shooting' sections.

gon2shoot
07-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Stay with em Dean, you'll get em broke to lead yet. :coffeecom

Swamp Man
07-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Yeah, twice in two days I have violated the rules for the Our Town section with these two posts:

Yesterday
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?206470-Converting-F-1-Chrony-to-remote-panel&p=2303734&viewfull=1#post2303734
Today
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?206665-Ceramic-tumbling-media&p=2305212&viewfull=1#post2305212

But people keep starting these illegal threads, and nobody moves them to the appropriate 'shooting' sections.
Well at least we both admitted to it. LOL

Dean D.
07-15-2013, 04:03 PM
You know guys, we really try not to have to moderate the forum with an iron fist. One of the things I try to look at when reading through threads here in Our Town is "Does this thread/post directly affect a member/members?" This section is supposed to be a place where you can talk about your troubles, fortunes, frustrations, forum issues, etc... things that are happening in YOUR life. Kinda like the front porch on the old general store or down at the feed store. Some folks may not be old enough or had a rural background to be able to identify with this analogy so maybe call it our forum Town Hall.

Charlie, your right. We do see a lot of posts here that belong elsewhere but are not always moved for a couple of reasons.

1. Our Moderators are part time vollunteers. Sifting through all the posts here is time consuming and very much a judgement call.
2. Adhering strictly by the rules in the past and moving any and all posts that even slightly failed to meet the criteria in those rules created angry indignation by the membership here.
3. New members tend to drift here and post threads that they are unsure of where to post. Moving those threads often creates more problems than it cures.

There is a fine line for us between over-moderating and under-moderating. We try to find that happy medium as best we can.
The best thing would be if folks would take the time to actually read the headers of the different sections so they know what that section is meant to be used for. Believe me, I'm not holding my breath on that one but we appreciate those who try to do so!

Now, where did I put that copy of "Herding Cat's for Dummy's"? :kidding:

Idaho Mule
07-15-2013, 11:06 PM
Herding people is worse than herding cats. But I think our mods do a wonderful job of it. Thanks guys. JW

Echo
07-16-2013, 09:33 AM

I thought it was "Crusty" - seems more apt...

Dean D.
01-24-2014, 09:06 PM
Another timely bump. If you have not already read this thread please do so. And remember:

Off topic/humor/politics goes in off topic, politics. Please put shooting stuff in the shooting areas!