PDA

View Full Version : why is it

GREENCOUNTYPETE
11-07-2012, 08:21 PM
that the good deals come around when I am out of funds

was at the groceries store , and a guy is selling a savage 340 in 30-30 200OBO on the bulletin board

so maybe not the greatest of deals but I keep thinking of all the possibilities of a 30-30 bolt gun with cast

oh well , maybe next time

km101
11-07-2012, 09:53 PM
Or the good deals that come to light, just after you have purchased that item! Bought new tires for the wife's car, and 3 days later saw a post on craigslist for 4 new tires and wheels at $170 less than what I paid for the tires. Always seems to happen that the really good deals show up A. When I'm broke! or B. Right after I have bought something.

starmac
11-07-2012, 10:58 PM
A 340 just sold in the swap and sell forum for 200 today or yesterday. The deals are out there, that will not be the only one.
I picked up a sears (same as 340) a couple months ago for 90 bucks.

Bullet Caster
11-08-2012, 12:23 AM
Ain't it the danged truth!!! I can find great deals when I'm broke. Guess that's the way it is here on "hard luck hill." Or like km101 said after I just think I've gotten a great deal with my purchase, along comes a better deal that I'd wished I'd waited on. Go figure. BC

x101airborne
11-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Or a Star sizer for silly cheap. 444 marlin brass for 25% of normal cost.
Yes, I know your pain. One day it will be my turn to grab the deal.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
11-08-2012, 11:22 AM
every time i go to the grocery store i see a rifle leaving my bank account as I pay the bill , the kids just eat more all the time and the food costs more all the time.

as much as they suck the money , I have to remember to enjoy them while they are young cause the won't be for long. time goes fast

looking at the end of the year summary i have to just scratch my head and say wow , i used to think that was a lot of money , but where did it all go , thanks to the power of my wife's book keeping she can tell me were every dollar went , the really sad part is how hard it was to only spend that much.

i remember the last time i had money to spare , it was about 15 years ago , I don't recall it making me very happy , then I met my wife , been happily broke ever since.

fatelk
11-08-2012, 11:10 PM
i remember the last time i had money to spare , it was about 15 years ago , I don't recall it making me very happy , then I met my wife , been happily broke ever since.
Isn't that the truth! Just over a decade ago I was single, making more than I am now, driving a nice truck, plenty of money in the bank. Now we're broke, facing unemployment in a couple weeks, driving the same truck, with a houseful of kids and #4 coming at the end of the month. Tough times to come, but I wouldn't go back for all the money in the world.:)

x101airborne
11-09-2012, 08:11 AM
Isn't that the truth! Just over a decade ago I was single, making more than I am now, driving a nice truck, plenty of money in the bank. Now we're broke, facing unemployment in a couple weeks, driving the same truck, with a houseful of kids and #4 coming at the end of the month. Tough times to come, but I wouldn't go back for all the money in the world.:)

Amen. Know what is important and count the blessings. With a small garden, you would be surprised how much you can substitute your food budget. And if you have some "down time", it can be a real stress reliever. Now is the time for our cabbage, lettuce, beets, carrots, turnips, cauliflower, broccoli, etc. A raised bed full of decomposing leaves and yard clippings with a layer of garden soil on top will keep any roots from freezing. Cover with clear plastic at nite and you can grow most anything even in freezing weather.

km101
11-09-2012, 11:10 AM
[QUOTE=GREENCOUNTYPETE;1911537]every time i go to the grocery store i see a rifle leaving my bank account as I pay the bill , the kids just eat more all the time and the food costs more all the time.

as much as they suck the money , I have to remember to enjoy them while they are young cause the won't be for long. time goes fast

Yes, but as my dad used to say. "I'd rather pay grocery bill than Dr. bills." Be glad that they are healthy and happy and CAN eat a lot.

Enyou them now, they grou up so fast. Seems like only a few years ago that mine were runnin' all over the house, the TV was too loud, and toys all over the floor. Now I'm lucky if I see them once a week.

But now I have grandkids, runnin' laa over the huse, playin' the TV too loud, and toys all over the floor. AND I AM SO GLAD!!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
11-09-2012, 04:06 PM
have garden but with the drought this year it was bad , can some , freeze more , heat with wood , don't drive to work but 1 day a week , cook mainly from scratch , haven't bought a beer in almost a year , only eat out rarely , for meat we have the pig we buy from a friend , and the deer i shoot , and some chicken

my kids aren't sure what to do with the funny tasting hamburgers at grandmas , as my son would say that's not deer , what is that

when i said my wife can account for every dollar , more like every penny , we only grocery shop every 2 weeks , we work from the menu or other staples we keep

but i am paying for piano lessons , swimming lessons , piles of home school books , 4h , and scouts

every once in a while i sneak some reloading supplies or a new gun in.

I really can't complain , i already know i am getting a new used muzzle loader for Christmas , i found the deal a friend is selling his very reasonably , wife said merry Christmas she would find the money for that

GREENCOUNTYPETE
11-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Now is the time for our cabbage, lettuce, beets, carrots, turnips, cauliflower, broccoli, etc. A raised bed full of decomposing leaves and yard clippings with a layer of garden soil on top will keep any roots from freezing. Cover with clear plastic at nite and you can grow most anything even in freezing weather.

thanks for the suggestions , i do lettuces boxes with old storm windows in the spring and have a small green house for tempering plants and getting a jump on the season

deer season is next weekend snow any day now
not long till day time temps in the 20's dropping to 20 below nothing grows , Dec to march the frost will go 3 feet deep frozen solid earth it is like digging in concrete

but ice fishing season is right around the corner , were we can all walk on water , heck by January you can drive the truck right out to your fishing spot

interesting weather we have , we saw a 108* for several days this july a new high, and 30 below in January would be nothing new.

growing starts again about St Patrick's day , but only if hardy and covered like your talking about may 10th we are almost assured frost free nights and that ends late September or the first days of October.