PDA

View Full Version : Quality time with my underhammer/scapula spurs

Olevern
11-07-2012, 04:26 PM
So disgusted over the election results that I needed to get out of the house and do something to take my mind off Idiots like Chris Matthews, who stated on the air that he's thankful for Sandy, which put the reelection bid over the top.

Anyway, haven't shot this one for fifteen years, so dug up all the pharaphenalia needed to shoot (and clean) her.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac56/Olevern/DSC_9596copy.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac56/Olevern/DSC_9597copy.jpg

Took her out back and set up at 50 yds (fixed sites and when I last shot it, this was the distance I had it sighted for).

I have been having some trouble with my right shoulder but didn't even think about that when I decided to shoot. I've just kindof got used to the more or less constant pain in that shoulder.

First shot off the bench and blazing pain from the right shoulder.

And this is only a .45 cal. caplock loaded with 70 grains fffg and a round ball!

Toughed it out for an additional two shots but had to stop after that.

Then, back in the house to clean the gun and I remembered why I shoot this one little.
It is a pain to clean. The forearm is pinned to the barrel and the barrel screwed into the receiver.

So, I got out my piece of nipple-sized plastic tubing and funnel, and, along with the cleaning rod, a fitted bore mop and black powder cleaning brush, it didn't go too badly.

Now sitting in my chair nursing my shoulder and watching Fox news (which probably will just make me madder over the sitiation than I am already).

I would go upstairs and reload but I don't think this shoulder would take any repetitive movement at the moment, right now I am typing with my left hand (well, actually my left pointer finger).

After several months of pain medications, doc. two weeks ago had X-rays taken and I got the report the other day that there was moderate to severe spurring in the scapula. Don't know what that means, but the doc wants me to sign up for physical therapy, but the nearest in my network is 78 miles away. I'm going to wait till my followup appointment 'cause I am not comfortable with following a recommendation made before the doc even had the testing done, let along received the results.

Anybody else had this condition? What did you do and did it work?

Alan
11-07-2012, 05:11 PM
I had bone spurs so bad in my shoulder they tore my rotator cuff, and wouldn't let it heal. Wound up getting surgery for the rotator cuff, and they ground off the spurs while they were in there.

Shooting even a .30/06 felt like my shoulder was full of broken glass. After the surgery and therapy, I've got full motion back in my shoulder, and black powder guns don't bother me at all. I can shoot my 16-bore and 12-bore rifles with 120-150 gr of FFG all afternoon and not even be sore the next day. My 16 is a Christian Springs, and my 12 is an English sporter. I still limit out at .30/06 on modern rifles, but I can shoot it. I'm just a little tender the next day after a box or so of factory-level loads. Hooked breech rifles are uncomfortable to shoot if they have any recoil, but then they always were.

Recoil velocity seems to be the determining factor in what I can shoot now. Drop the hammer on my 12-bore, and you are going for a ride. As long as you hold it tight against the shoulder, but don't tense your back up and fight it, it is not bad at all.

Olevern
11-08-2012, 10:40 AM
Guess I'm done with the two .458 Win. Mags, the .375 H&H and the heavy loaded .45-70's. I will take the .270 out and check it's sighting and use that for deer season this year. Maybe I need to think about downloading some ammo in all my guns at least for the forseeable future.

I see the doc next week for a followup but no way am I going to have elective surgury before the hunting season is over.

Small game season should be no problem with .22's and maybe my .410 pump for grouse.

Handguns are no problem in lessor calibers or moderately loaded (I discovered today the heavier loaded handguns still cause me pain in the shoulder as they ride up in recoil). .454 Casull definately out for now, as is the BFR .45-70 and the like.

Thanks, Alan , for sharing your experience. I am, after hearing what happened to you and the torn rotater cuff, definately not going to do the physical therapy and cause myself further damage. Looks like a planned surgury is in my future (after the end of hunting season).

I think I will also look for another primary care physician as I am not too happy with the present one putting off the Xrays and then recommending physical therapy before the results were in.

KCSO
11-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Make a cleaning nipple from a worn out one and screw it in and use tubing to a bucket and they are easy to clean. Those old H/A undrehammers were deadly accurate rifles and I wish i still had one.

1Shirt
11-08-2012, 01:16 PM
I foolishly let my last one go for next to nothing 20 years ago. Was a 36, and a tack driver.
1Shirt!:coffee: