PDA

View Full Version : WORTH. ww in lee ingot molds

nelsonted1
06-11-2007, 10:16 PM
A friend that has a gunshop told me he a lot of wheel Weight lead out of lee ingot molds. He was selling a lot of it at 50 cents a lb. He recently jacked the price to 75cents/lb and can't sell it. What is the going rate for ingotted wheel wieght material?

This is in a gunshop so it is retail price. He has an awfull lot since I did see them go for several feet stacked under a counter.

TED

redbear705
06-11-2007, 11:37 PM
To be Honest......75 cents is not that bad for all ready smelted lead.

I am paying 73 cents a pound for wheel weghts with the clip!

So if I did not have to smelt them down and clean it all up to me the money would be well spent.

I know I will get flamed for this but my time and the electricity or fuel costs are expensive so I feel a few cents more for clean lead/alloy is well worth the investment for me.

JR

garandsrus
06-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Redbear,

Where are you in MI? I just bought some lead from a scrap yard in SE MI Friday for .50/lb and WW were .30/lb. In all honesty, I expected the prices to be a little higher as they have been pretty much the same for the past year.

John

jdhenry
06-12-2007, 03:13 AM
I have paid as much as .42 cents a pound for W.W. So I agree with redbear705, .75 cents a pound isn't too bad. Melt and pour no cleaning. BUT it is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more fun to pour your own ingots:) Plus you get to ruin all the wifes muffin pans he,he,he

ANeat
06-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Ted you really need to decide for yourself if its worth it or not. Even at .75 its still a bargain compared to buying cast bullets. Doing something you enjoy is another plus.

Ive had good luck getting WW in the .15 to .25 a pound range so far. If someone local was in need of some lead I wouldnt want to take less than .50 a pound.

You might try offering to buy all he had at a reduced price, bulk discount[smilie=1:

joatmon
06-13-2007, 12:33 AM
I'd buy a few first and see how they cast. I'm alittle leary of unknown sources, did they do it right and safeguard against ZN,or did they run the heat wide open to geterdone and put some of everything in there? Just a thought.

dromia
06-13-2007, 01:31 AM
Ditto joatmon, I'd be leery of an unknown alloy.

Even buying a sample for test doesn't mean that all the ingots are from the same mix.

I'd try and get some guarantee that it was at least usable alloy for bullets.

Wish I could get lead and WWs as cheap as that over here, fower bob a poond. :roll:

nelsonted1
06-14-2007, 12:15 AM
The WW are in a friend's store. I should have said that. I have quite a bit of WW of my own. I was just wondering about the price. Cowboy shooting is pretty strong in Louisville and was thinking about letting them know about the WW.

nelsonted1
06-14-2007, 12:17 AM
I told him the same thing said by all the above. The thought of getting everything done at one time, the smoke, filth, time and fuel cost has to be worth something. On the other hand zinc is worry in other's WW.