PDA

View Full Version : Polygonal rifling

tomme boy
11-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Has anyone used polygonal rifling in a rifle for cast boolits? BlackHole Weaponry is supposed to be coming out with a prefit barrel for Savage rifles. I was thinking about trying one.

Doughty
11-06-2012, 06:33 PM
tomme
I have a HK SL-7 which has poly rifling. This is a semi-auto in .308 Win. About 30 years ago I tried some 180 grain ACWW bullets with GCs. Load was the starting Lyman book load for jacketed 180s with IMR 3031. They functioned and shot well. Can't remember the exact group size and no chrono back then. Wanted to use it in some type of 3 gun "combat" match using targets of 1/4" CRS at 50 to 100 yds. It punched nice little holes right through the targets, so that was out. Haven't tried any cast loads in it since then, but I was just thinking earlier today that this might be a nice winter project. I do recall that I wasn't getting any leading and that they shot a lot better than I had expected them to.

Wayne Smith
11-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Like any other barrel, if the boolit is undersize they will lead. Slug your barrel, fit your boolit, and enjoy.

Sasquatch-1
11-07-2012, 08:58 AM
I cannot comment on rifles, but cast does not work in a Desert Eagle with the poly rifleing. At 15 yds the bullets tumble and hit the target sideways. In a rifle there may be more time for the bullet to stablize.

Bullshop
11-07-2012, 12:02 PM
I cannot comment on rifles, but cast does not work in a Desert Eagle with the poly rifleing. At 15 yds the bullets tumble and hit the target sideways. In a rifle there may be more time for the bullet to stablize.

That is very interesting to me as I have gotten excellent accuracy with boolits in a Desert Eagle 44 mag. I even contacted Magnum Research to ask about using boolits woundering about the inaccessable gas port from the barrel. They said yes to using them but only gas check type.
I wonder why the different results.
My experiance was some 25 years ago so I have no recent experiance.

Wayne Smith
11-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Simple answer - fit is King. Boolits that fit the barrel and can handle the pressure won't lead.

Doughty
11-16-2012, 09:59 AM
tomme,
I had cast some Lyman 311041s out of lino for a .300 Blackout project of my son's. I thought what the heck. These weighed 168 grains. I GCed a few and lubed them with LBT Blue and sized to .310. Loaded them over 40 grs of AA2520 (starting load for jacketed 168s). Then off to range with the afore mentioned HK SL-7. Three shots at 100 yards as quick as I could aim and fire. First two almost touching, the third pulled low left to almost 2 inches.
I had also loaded a few without the GC and 35 grains of 2520. Three quick additional shots at 100 went into about 3 inches around my first three. Trying to find what load will just work the action. Will do a real workup when I get more time.

scarry scarney
11-16-2012, 07:27 PM
I shot a lot of cast bullets (SWC mold) through my HK P9S in 45 (Polygonal rifling). Never had problem with accuracy or leading of barrel. The alloy was lead mined from an outdoor military range, and at the time, I never tried to determine the hardness. I would just cast and shoot. Targets always looked like little stop signs had cut the holes[smilie=l:

tomme boy
11-16-2012, 09:45 PM
I talked to them this afternoon. They were saying that their rifling is not like the Glocks. I thought they were the same. The way he explained it, the bore is all arcs. No corners. like a sine wave. Smooth all the way around. He was saying he has not had any reports yet of fouling of lead. And as everyone has said. FIT the bollit to the gun.

I told him that I was having a hard time getting over 2000fps with accuracy. He said I should not have any problems as long as I use gas checks. Of course. The way the rifling is it will distort the boolit less. I am going to try one of these soon. I might see if I can just get a black or send him a reamer of what I want to do.

ROGER4314
11-26-2012, 02:20 PM
I have a few Glocks and have had the pleasure of knowing Glock expert TR Graham for a long time. I asked him to cut through the cxap and give me a straight answer about using lead slugs in my Glocks. He said he would not recommend it and that was good enough for me. I've always done well if I listen to TR Graham!

I shopped around for aftermarket barrels and found some replacement standard rifled barrels for about $100. I think I'll go that way and try them out. You can do as you wish.

Flash

tomme boy
11-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Glock rifling is not the same as what they are offering.