PDA

View Full Version : Gun Kote by KG Industries

No_1
06-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Has anyone used Gun Kote on their project? I have some samples sent to me and was thinking of giving it a try. The samples I received were 1 pint of PT3 black coating/paint and about 1/2 pint of the K-PHOS (phosphate) coating.

By the directions it looks pretty simple. Part prep for the paint: de-grease, blast, de-grease, pre-heat to 120 degrees, paint, then oven cure @ 325 degrees. Says you can use the k-phos (phosphate) before painting to give a superior corrosion resistance but it is not nessesary.

It indicates to use their product (KG-3) for the degreasing process or any solvent that does not leave a residue such as MEK, Ethel Alcohol or Acetone.

Anyone with application experience?

Robert

357maximum
06-11-2007, 03:56 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=9210 Check this thread out:mrgreen: Doug has been ther and done that and is proably the man that knows....I have not gotten around toit as of yet.

ANeat
06-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Ive done a few guns with it and have been very pleased. Ive been shooting a 1911 I did a couple years ago and it still looks like new.

I used Alcohol to degrease, then sanblast, degrease again, pre-heat and paint. Then bake.
I was doing only handguns so I bought a cheap toaster oven to bake mine in.

No_1
06-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the info guys! The products are in liquid form ready to paint (not the usual spray can). All I need is the paint touch up gun (I wanted one anyway), the time to get around to it and some mek/acetone. I have read the directions a couple of time and call the service dept at KG Industries. They have answered all the questions so I feel fairly confident.

mtnman31
06-12-2007, 06:47 AM
I've used it a few times. I have used it for weapons as well as coated some motorcyle and car parts with it. Just like painting a car, proper preparation is everything. Make sure it is spotless and thoroughly degreased. Wear some nitrile or lint-free cotton gloves.

The application is simple. I bought a cheap seven dollar airbrush to apply the finish because I didn't want to take any chances with running the solvents through my nice Badger airbrush. Apply coats thin to avoid runs. You can always add more, but removing baked-on runs is no easy task. The KG will cover very fine scratches but don't expect it to hide any gouges or dings you put in the soft aluminum of that AR reciever using a steel punch.

When you bake, use an accurate thermometer and make sure the oven or what ever you use is preheated. Don't rely on the oven's temperature to be accurate. My first go around, the green finish came out brown due to excessive heat. I'd suggest a heat shield (aluminum foil) between your parts and the oven's coils. It will help reduce hot spots as the oven cycles on and off to maintain its temperature. Lastly, if you do it in your kitchen oven open a window and use some fans to move some air; the solvents are quite strong, though they left no permanent odors in the oven.

Overall, the process is simple and the results are very satisfying. Good luck.