PDA

View Full Version : Top Punch?

fanner 50
06-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Where can I find a list of top punches. I have a .452 sizer die coming. I'm going to cast a Lee round nose bullet. I can find a list of punches but it doesn't say what they are for just a bunch of numbers. I apologize if this is a dumb question but I'm new to casting. :confused:

LarryM
06-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Some times close is as good as it will get. Take a look at a catalog of lyman molds and it shold show which top punch is intended for that bullet.
As an example - I have a Lee mold 452-228-1R and I have ordered the Lyman top punch # 374. I don't have it yet but I anticipate kaing a slight modification to it needed to fit the bullet better.:castmine:

Lee
06-12-2007, 01:05 AM
OK, also new at this. Why can't you use just about any old "flat" top punch for any frn or tc boolits? Flat is flat?? No?? "IF" all you are doing is lubing. I understand sizing takes a lot more force, and could cause an impression on the bullet nose. Now for rn boolits, I would guess that the top punch radius would be more important, and perhaps not a "one size fits all"?? Again, just for lubing of course???/.................Lee:wink:

redbear705
06-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Check Here for Lymans bullet molds sizer dies and top punches http://www.lymanproducts.com/lymanproducts/pbulleta.htm

The shape of the top punch helps center the bullet and stop it from cocking at an angle before going into the die. Not to mention not deforming the bullet nose.

I have made a quick temp top punch to use on a flat top bullet and I can get by with it but I mess up some bullets by shaving off too much off one side or the bullet wont go in at all.

My top punch from Midway should be here today....now I hope I ordered the correct one or I will be getting the next size larger....:)

JR

1hole
06-12-2007, 09:19 AM
A very good, quick and cheap solution is to modify any nose punch that fits over the new bullets point snugly but otherwise has the wrong shape; fill the void in the nose punch with hot glue or epoxy!

Heat the new bullet enough to melt wax and then coat it with a thin but complete layer over the nose. After it cools to room temp or less (use ice), put a dab of hot-melt glue in the cavity of the nose punch and seat it, by hand, over the waxed bullets nose. Hold it until the excess glue is squeezed out and the remainder is cooled. The new glue nose plug will provide plenty of perfectly fitted support for any lubing/sizing work and can be removed easily later if need be. This can also be done with a dab of expoxy but it takes longer and the plug will be harder to remove.

felix
06-12-2007, 09:33 AM
You will get much better concentric sizing if you allow the boolit to pivot as much as possible in that top punch. The harder the boolit is and the rounder the sizer is, the better the results. The cheap sizing machines we use are seldom in alignment. ... felix

fanner 50
06-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Ok thanks for the input guys. I have a #374 comming for my Lee 452-228-1R I agree with you Larry that looks like it will work in my Lyman 4500. redbear705 thanks for the link it was the most help. Why don't they simplify this stuff?

LarryM
06-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Fanner - The #374 punch is a good fit for that lee Boolit, I got mine yesterday. What do you plan to feed that Lee bullet to? My Kimber Custom II needs it seated to a COAL of 1.20" to chamber:confused:

fanner 50
06-13-2007, 12:09 PM
LarryM - I plan on running it through my AMT Hardballer that I have done extensive work to and converted to 45 Super. I will use it for Whitetail and such in the deep woods around here. I haven't had a shot over 50 yds in years. I'm looking at around 1250 FPS for a good hunting load.I think I'll also try and find a good Keith style bullet in the 200 gr catagory then use the one that gives the best accuracy and penetration. I also carry a 7.5" Bisley in 45 LC and I think I'll cast the Lyman 325 GC for that one in the future when I run out of Cast Performance 335 gr GC boolits.