PDA

View Full Version : Laptop for son

Bret4207
06-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Have to purchase a laptop for "Sir Whinesalot", finally graduating fron High School. Need basic opinion on what a Jr. College attendee would need and more importantly brand recommendations. My first choice was Dell, but I see Sony, Acer, HP setting good reviews. This will serve as "his" computer. I'll get a router so he can access the 'net at home, he does a very limited amount of gaming, "Diablo"?, and needs something reliable for school, Criminal Justice (!!! I know, but he's trying it), will want to watch movies, listen to music, down load stuff. I'd lke to stay within $1000.00 or so. Any opinions? Best places to buy?

trickyasafox
06-11-2007, 11:28 AM
my info is dated but i graduated HS in 2003 and ordered a dell 5150 laptop. I fried 3 motherboards, 2 fans, and several sticks of ram. ALL was replaced for free, under my dell warranty. Customer service from them was always good.

make sure he contacts his school for discounts. I got 250 dollars off because my school had a deal with dell. i just had to use some coupon code. if my school still has the promotion i'll see if i can get you the discount info. i'm not sure if its still running (it was 4 years ago now)

Pilgrim
06-11-2007, 12:28 PM
I would stay away from HP. I had one of their machines that had manufacturing problems and they at first ignored me, then denied the problem, then finally admitted the fault (after I had an IT expert call them for me), but never did they give me a solution, nor did they make it right. I haven't bought HP anything since. FWIW Piilgrim

KCSO
06-11-2007, 01:13 PM
I use Dell's at work and my daughters school computer was a Dell. I am currently using an Inspiron and the delivered price was $976.00. It handles reports, printing, internet and everything I need to do businesss wise. We have at this time 4 Dells out to our Deputies and thye have given good service since 2003.

The biggest problem with the laptosp is that they donet spell so goodly. expecially of you have big fingers.

felix
06-11-2007, 01:18 PM
Dells have degraded rapidly over the last couple of years. Just like the HP machines. I would buy what Walmart sells, and just return it when it fails. If you have to buy a repair contract, then do so, but only at Walmart. Nobody, but nobody, wants to take responsibility any more. ... felix

Bret4207
06-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Uncle Felix- Walmart sells laptops AND has a repair contract?!?! Wasn't aware of this. I'll check it out.

felix
06-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Don't know about contract. My suggestion only. ... felix

trickyasafox
06-11-2007, 02:52 PM
pm'd you some stuff. . .

Mk42gunner
06-11-2007, 10:20 PM
I don't know about the laptop; but check with the school ( maybe the bookstore)about a student discount for the programs. I saved about 50% a couple of years ago. I will try to find the company name if your interested.

Robert

DLCTEX
06-11-2007, 11:00 PM
My son bought a mac after much research, used it about 4 months , sold it and bought a Toshiba. It has been very satisfactory, with zero problems. It was a good bit more than $1,000 with the extra gaming power he wanted. He's had it for more than six months and thinks it's the best there is. Dale

Junior1942
06-12-2007, 07:15 AM
The best thing about Dell is when you call for help you're soon talking to a human.

felix
06-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Took one month to exchange a mother board, three years ago. Call went to India, back to somewhere in Dallas, and then on to Memphis before we got a new one. ... felix

trickyasafox
06-12-2007, 09:31 AM
concerning dell . . . .everyone has their own opinion on outsourcing the tech support, however if the accents create a language barrier, Dell DOES HAVE A US TECH LINE you got whine to get it, and the hold times are a bit longer, but you will be talking to a native, english speaking american.