PDA

View Full Version : Work Boots

LAH
11-03-2012, 08:06 PM
What do you wear?

I use http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-Details/4511/1600FQ0006114/Rocky-MobiLite-Steel-Toe-Waterproof-Work-Boots/

These are over year old now & don't leak. My boots take a beating in the brush while limbing trees & cutting them to length. I've tried different boots but for something to beat up in the woods I find these to work for me. I've had foot surgery & the large box toe is that which I need.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/DSC03775.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/DSC03776.jpg

Catshooter
11-03-2012, 08:17 PM
West Coast Shoe (WESCO.com) company. Fit my wide, thick feet perfectly. Very tough boots and the company will repair/rebuild them.

Expensive, but I never had a pair last less than 5 years.

Cat

Idaho Mule
11-03-2012, 08:17 PM
LAH, try White's Boots in Spokane, WA they build the best boot I have come across. They cost a few bucks but are money well spent when a man has to make his living standing in his boots.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Lah,

The boot I would not buy is Danner!!!!!!!

Over the years, I have had at least 5 or 6 pairs of Danner and only one gave what I thought was good service.

OK if I thought so poorly of them, why did I continue to buy them?

Simple, working at Washington State Univ. steel toe boots were required and they paid for them.

The boot wagon came around once or twice a year and I'd get a new set whenever I was able.

The type I now have, I am on the 4th pair. One set was so bad early on that the local dealer sent them back and Danner sent me a replacement.

The leather was so bad - these are "off shore" production, China as I recall, and the leather was so bad that when the boots got nicked, the leather would begin to peal off.

The leather has not been good on any of these boots

All of these four sets of boot have eaten boot laces like candy, being lucky of I got 3 weeks from new laces before I start knoting the breaks.

The eye lets are sharp and simply cut the laces VERY rapidly to pieces.

These are over 200dollar boots.

Also, although the sole is a "vibrum" (SP?) brand but not the old waffle stomper kind and they are death warmed over in the woods. Step on a snow covered stick and your feet are gone! Nothing like the origional sole.

AS was said above, Whites boots are good. Pricy but good. There is also Nicks boots again made in Spokane that have a good rep. I think that Nick once worked for Whites

Then I have heard that a brand, "H&H" was good. Just what I have heard.

I am currently using a set of Cabela's logger style boots which have given good service. The Danners, the last set I got just before I retired -retirement gift [smilie=1: [smilie=l: - are junker boots for who cares use, but not woods boots in anything like Fall or Winter weather.

Personally I have found boots which have cloth sewn to leather are problems as it seems the stitching or the cloth never lasts. Very comfortable, but not long lasting.

All that to say this, don't buy Danner unless they are US made and you have a local dealer with a willingness to back you up.

One good thing about the Danners is, I get lots of short boot lace pieces to take when hunting to tie off the bung when gutting critters. Guess even Danners have one good feature. :kidding::kidding:

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Dean D.
11-03-2012, 08:50 PM
I'll second Nick's boots in Spokane. He used to work for White's but branched off on his own over 20 years ago. Both make a great quality boot and still offer custom built boots and will rebuild them. You get what you pay for.

Idaho Mule
11-03-2012, 08:59 PM
CDOC, I used one old lace scrap for probably over a hundred bungers, butt then one eve I must've left it tied to the "hole" and lost it. Butt, alas, now I just use a haytwine. JW

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Hey there Ideeeeho Mule,

Your right over the hill from me.

How is your hunting going this year"

Crusty Dreary Ol'Coot

OneSkinnyMass
11-03-2012, 09:21 PM
I've had very good boots from Thorogood, just saying...

Skinny

RU shooter
11-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Ive been using Red Wings for the last few years for work,For warm weather hunting and just working around the house Ive had a set of Danners for about 15 yrs now.Ive tried the Rocky work boots and really dont like them for the type of work environment I'm in.

jmort
11-03-2012, 10:08 PM
I like Chippewa
http://www.chippewaboots.com/

Finster101
11-03-2012, 10:15 PM
I have 3 pair of Redwings. Got the first pair 8 years ago, still wearin' them. All 3 pair are waterproof. Started out being for the motorcycle, were so comfortable they became everyday wear.

tomme boy
11-04-2012, 12:32 AM
I used to wear Rocky's when they were made here. Not anymore. The last pair I bought, I went pheasant hunting one day and the bottom fell off of one boot about halfway through the day. I took them back and got a pair of Danner ProngHorns and have had them for about 11 years now. They have been the best pair of boots I have ever had. I wear these every day in the winter. I spray them down with silicone 2x's ever year. I'm going to have to replace them soon as they are getting a little slick on the bottom.

Jammer Six
11-04-2012, 12:44 AM
Since, once again, someone had the bad manners to drag politics into a non-political discussion, I'll say that I prefer goods made overseas.

waksupi
11-04-2012, 01:09 AM
Politics? I don't see it.

Brand isn't all that important to me, fit is. I have a hard time finding a comfortable boot. I should really get a custom boot, if I can find one of the listed vendors that will make me a pair with around 1000 grams thinsulite for a hunting boot.

FLINTNFIRE
11-04-2012, 02:14 AM
I wore a lot of wesco boots out when I worked the high lead yarders , and cutting , had them custom measured at the plant in scappoose , never got 2 pair that were made quite the same , but they were still decent caulk boots , grizzlys custom fit in about 1987 were the best fitting , to bad they went out of business, viberg out of canada was another good boot , but the best out of the box I wore in vibram soles were Chippewa, and I have had whites also and they were decent though the pair I got the stitching went out , was cheaper to have them sewed at a shoe repair ,Though it is getting harder to find boot and shoe repair shops , and the red wings I wore were good boots , My next pair of boots for work will be Chippewa again .

OnHoPr
11-04-2012, 06:44 AM
I don't believe you can have a hunting boot and work boot combination, except maybe a work boot and in early season small game brush busting combo. When it comes to deer hunting I usually have three pair of boots, one for hot weather, one for medium weather, and one for cold or real wet hunting. The best boot I ever wore was Herman Survivor WaterProofs.

41 mag fan
11-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Rockys for hunting.
For work I wear Red Wings. I go thru a pair every 3-4 months. They are metatarsals. Only boots i've found that my feet can handle.

LAH
11-04-2012, 03:47 PM
I had a pair of Red Wings once while working in the oil business. They were great boots. Think I'll find a dealer & see if I can find a pair which fit me. Like I said, the foot operation makes fit more important than ever.

oldred
11-04-2012, 04:36 PM
You mean there are boots other than Redwings?

Seriously I have worked outdoors and in the coal mines since 1968 and IMHO nothing beats Redwings, the only boots that feel better than a new pair of Redwings is an old pair of Redwings! :D

LUCKYDAWG13
11-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Redwings i can get about 3 years out of a pair

shotman
11-04-2012, 04:44 PM
well redwings are made in --you guessed it. the thorogood is made in WI. Have 2 pair and like both

jmort
11-04-2012, 04:46 PM
If you have a pair you love, bring them back to life
http://www.resole.com/Work-Boot-Repair-.aspx

Firebricker
11-04-2012, 05:22 PM
I've got two pairs of Thorogoods one steel toe and one internal metatarsal both have held up very well but these are just for work. For hunting I have an eight year old pair of Danners. I used to buy Rockys before they left Ohio political or not I have no use for things made oversees I prefer to see our middle class here in U.S.A. working. FB

skeettx
11-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Redwings for me
Mike

Lee W
11-04-2012, 05:43 PM
I plan on ordering these this week.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/red-wing-shoe/952-red-wing-shoes/952-red-wing-mens-6-inch-boot-brown

BTW, not all Redwings are made over seas.

autofix4u
11-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Georgia boot co, usually get 3-4 years oout of them with daily wear in the shop.(auto repair). The soles are the most slip and oil restiant I have ever found. also a big fan of the titainum toe protection. Wolverene for wear outside of work.

Jailer
11-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Another vote for Redwings. They are a bear to break in, but once broke in they fit like a glove.

Mooseman
11-04-2012, 08:48 PM
I have a pair of Danner boots that are over 20 years old that have hiked all over Alaska Backwoods. They are ok for summer use , but I went with Hermann Survivors 4 years ago for fall / winter/ and spring use because Leather boots just dont keep your feet as warm as they do and they are lighter weight. My best winter boots are green Military Mukluks with 3 sole felts and a felt boot where I can stay out at -20 all day and have warm feet.

Rich

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
11-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Hey Mooseman,

I'd take the wild guess that your Danners and those who gave the line favorable reports above were not made in China of bad leather.

I hate it when a company, known for a good product makes the choice to cheapen their name and product.

I'm not so dumb that I don't understand the need to raise prices, but cheapen your product or cut back on customer service and I'll buy somewhere else.

Since WSU is no longer buying my work boots, I'm off any Danner products, they are too cheap and I can no longer afford them!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

smokeywolf
11-04-2012, 09:03 PM
I've had cheap ones like Wolverines or Timberland that held up pretty well. But, they got replaced every year, and sometimes twice a year. I worked around a production facility and had to have steel toed boots and also occasionally had to work with and around chemicals; Bleach (not laundry bleach), CD-2, and Acid Stop. The bleach and Acid Stop could degrade 316 stainless in a matter of weeks.

Redwings were my 1st choice but because the boots were "safety equipment" the company paid for the boots and wouldn't spring for the Redwings.

I just bought a pair of Keen hiking boots that seem to have pretty good potential.

My cowboy boots are Nacona and the couple of pair I have left that my father made.

geargnasher
11-04-2012, 09:04 PM
For store-bought, high-end Wolverines. They last 2-3 years consistently being soaked in gas, oil, and grease and they keep me from busting my butt on slick concrete floors. I usually wear my work boots about 325 days a year, 12 hours a day between work and home. The factory insoles universally suck on them though, I replace them with the "wanna be" orthotic inserts from Dr. Scholls to keep my plantar faci-itis (however it's spelled) under control. Got that from too many years of running.

Gear

MT Gianni
11-04-2012, 11:57 PM
I had trouble with Rocky's soles. To me they were just to slick. I have had a pair of White's Hawthorne's for four years. I got them resoled this year and some stitching done where I laid the bike down with them on. I see no reason they won't go to another resole. I am in them $280 including the resole, if I go 8 years that is $35 a year.

**oneshot**
11-05-2012, 05:17 AM
My chippewa's are good tough boots. For everyday knocking around with the chainsaw I wear my timerland pro series. Nice box toe so I don't blow out a toe kicking logs to roll them down to the truck.

Lloyd Smale
11-05-2012, 05:23 AM
now that im retired usually redwings as i dont need as good of a boot. But when i worked as a lineman west coast boots were on my feet.

EdZ KG6UTS
11-05-2012, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE=waksupi;I have a hard time finding a comfortable boot..[/QUOTE]

I've been buying shoes and boots from these guys for over 25 years...pre internet sales. www.wideshoes.com/ They specialize in wide shoes so have my EEE-EEEE covered. Hitchcock makes the lasts then has noted manufacturers make the shoes. One pair of, I think, RedWing 6" work boots has been resoled 3 times with lots of life still there. I wore those to Iraq then Afghanisan twice as well as working in our Anza Borrego Desert and getting around Baja. Dad always said to spend the most money on your work boots. He was old school, as the kids say, and would walk his new boots in our stream until soaked then wear them until almost dry followed by saddle soap and neats foot oil. Not sure if that would work on newly made boots but was OK on the old stiched ones.

EdZ KG6UTS
....headed to Baja to annoy some fish ~8^)

EdZ KG6UTS
11-05-2012, 12:36 PM
I worked around a production facility and had to have steel toed boots and also occasionally had to work with and around chemicals; Bleach (not laundry bleach), CD-2, and Acid Stop. The bleach and Acid Stop could degrade 316 stainless in a matter of weeks.
I just bought a pair of Keen hiking boots that seem to have pretty good potential.

Working around aircraft with arificial lubes/oils and fuel ate shoes too and really fast. Vibram just melted. The best were RedWings with an orangeish translucent sole that stood up to the chemicals and didn't feel like walking on snot. Slipping off a wing and falling to the concrete isn't a suggested practice.

I've seen the Keen hiking boots, look pretty good. The Propet hikers picked up because of being on sale and fitting have turned out to be way better than originally thought.

EdZ KG6UTS

19112TAP
11-05-2012, 02:23 PM
I really like my West Coast Boots.

Mal Paso
11-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Redwings for 20 years anyway. Got mad at them for cheap leather 2 pair ago. Tried 2 "better quality" Chinese made boots but always went back to a progressively older pair of Redwings until I'd warn all my old pairs out. Wound up back in Redwing's store a year ago and this pair is holding up well. I have foot issues and Redwing knows what to do with a 12 D.

higgins
11-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Another vote here for Redwings; most comfortable boots and casual shoes I've ever worn. I buy them at a Redwing store where they know how to fit them, and they will replace defective shoes without question if there's something wrong. The only time I exchanged a pair of casual shoes was when they developed a very annoying squeak in one shoe after a few months. All I had to do was walk around the store a bit so they could hear that they squeaked, and they ordered me a replacement pair.

For outdoor use when I didn't think I would be wading in water, I always just bought uninsulated Redwings and kept them well-oiled. When I thought I would be in water, I wore Goretex boots.

reloader28
11-06-2012, 09:34 PM
The only problem I've had with Danners is I go threw a fair amount of lases. But its the only boot I've tried that will last me a couple years. My feet sweat terrible bad and for some reason these work.

I walk through Wolverines and Redwings in about 8-9 months and that gets very expensive. I didnt know Danners were made in China though. They may be the last pair I buy.

Tom W.
11-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Rocky's for my hunting boots and wide Timberland or Rockports for work.
Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find anything but a medium width in a Timberland?

LAH
11-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Do you have any idea how difficult it is to find anything but a medium width in a Timberland?

That's my fault with over the counter boots, I can't find ones which fit. I came across the Rockys at a box store of all places & have worn them since. I can order them & they fit. BTW they are great hunting boots above freezing.

Harter66
11-08-2012, 09:57 AM
My company pays the 1st 150 so all my work boots are RedWings now. I suffer w/fat feet, high arches, and heel spores. For pounding concrete and walking flatbed truck rails I've never been happier. 9 pair in 15 yrs only 6 of which have I worn to death. The lined boots are much better and break faster than the unlined.

I have a pair of insulated Danners I'm on my 4th season in them,their actually almost too warm for me but we've not had the extremely cold winters of late either.

Last spring I bought a pair of Irish Setter hunting/hikers, my only complaint w/them is when I get on hard ground they are hard on my heels.

So far I think I'd skip the Danners if similar Setters were available. Do watch the Setters about half are Kung Pow boots and its only $10 more for for the state side boots.

Rex
11-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Lynn, are those the boots you climbed "Windless Hill" in when you were out here in Nebraska?
Rex

LAH
11-08-2012, 10:23 AM
A pair just like those. In fact those were the first of these I purchased.

LAH
11-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Cleaned them up a bit, added some mink oil, so maybe I can get a few more miles.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/DSC03905.jpg

Tread isn't to bad.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/DSC03908.jpg

Even with this they don't leak.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/DSC03906.jpg

Wonder what that was?
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/Creekerpics/DSC03907.jpg