PDA

View Full Version : SP101 problem

Molly
06-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Hi guys,

I've got a new Ruger SP101 in .32 Mag, 4" bbl. Functionally, it's great. But it shoots higher than BLEEP! I use a 6 o'clock hold, and still have to drop the front blade halfway down the notch to hit, even at very close range - like 40 or 50 feet! I called Ruger to see if I could get a lower rear sight, but they only make one size. I can file this sight down, or make a new one if I have to, but I don't want to get too far ahead of myself: I suspect there's good reason for the factory sight.

The load was a moderate charge in a .32 Long case, under a 0.313 100g hard cast FNSWC, with a pretty hard crimp. There wa very little to no primer flattening, and cases just dropped out: Pressures weren't excessive, and velocities should have been moderate.

I still suspect the load is the problem though, because a 2" Taurus in .32 Mag with fixed sights had exactly the same problem, hitting high by just about the same amount. I suspect I'm using too heavy a bullet, but these are my first .32 Mags, first time I'd loaded for them, and yesterday was the first time I'd shot either. So I suspect the biggest problem is that I'm still on the bottom of the learning curve.

So I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. Who's first?

Thanks.
Molly

Skrenos
06-10-2007, 01:29 PM
You say a 'moderate charge'. What would that be?

It sounds like your bullets are moving too slowly. Either increase your charge or decrease your bullet weight.

Molly
06-10-2007, 03:36 PM
You say a 'moderate charge'. What would that be?

It sounds like your bullets are moving too slowly. Either increase your charge or decrease your bullet weight.

The charge was 5.5g AL-8. Think Blue dot. I didn't mention it because I didn't think many folks today would even recognize it, much less have any experience using it. I still have about 15 pounds.

Dale53
06-10-2007, 05:06 PM
Molly;
I had the same problem with my SP101. I use Hornady HB WC, Keith 100 gr GB, and 120 gr RF GB and NONE of them would shoot to point of aim. I have a number of all types loaded up and would be most happy to have you try some (just come over and we'll go to the range together for a morning of fun and learning).

My solution is found here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=16591

Scroll down for pictures. I am NOW a happy camper. You would have a VERY hard time separating me from this little .32 mag., now...

Above my pictures by a couple of posts, is mention of a gentleman who had a similar problem to yours (and mine) and he had the revolver altered to use front sights of different heights to solve the problem.

Dale53

9.3X62AL
06-10-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm not certain what load the SP-101 is regulated for--either the 85 grain JHP at 1100 FPS or the 95 grain LSWC at 1050 (more like 950 in the real world).

Is the front sight roll-pinned on these? If so, a gunsmith could replace the front blade with a taller one, and once a good load is found the front could be filed down to make the sights and barrel get on the same page. All of my 32 Mags have had adjustable sights so far.

Molly
06-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Dale,

> ... I have a number of all types loaded up and would be most happy to have you try some (just come over and we'll go to the range together for a morning of fun and learning).

Now THAT sounds like fun. Lemme check my doctor appointments and get back to you Dale. Hmmm. On reflection, let me get back to you after I find out what Ruger has to say.

> My solution is found here:

That's OK, and I'm getting to the age where I can appreciate optical sights, but I'm still not really a fan of scoped handguns. It makes them too big and unwieldy for my taste, though there's no question I can shoot better with them. But I have to confess I have one on my Redhawk, and a Single Six I recently picked up came with one.

> ... a gentleman who had a similar problem to yours (and mine) ... had the revolver altered to use front sights of different heights to solve the problem.

I think that's going to be my approach too! Know of a good source of aftermarket sights that will fit the Ruger SP 101? If not, I guess I'll call Ruger again.

Molly
06-10-2007, 11:21 PM
...Is the front sight roll-pinned on these? If so, a gunsmith could replace the front blade with a taller one, and once a good load is found the front could be filed down to make the sights and barrel get on the same page. All of my 32 Mags have had adjustable sights so far.

Hi 9.3x62,

Yes, it does have a roll pinned front sight. (Blush! - and to think I USED to be a gunsmith!) The Taurus has a front sight machined into the barrel shroud. I think I locked the statement "Front sight's not adjustable or replaceable" in my mind from the Taurus, and it didn't even occur to me to inspect the 101 the same way. - Or is it advancing senility(VBG)?

Anyhow, that's the way I'm going to go. I'll call Ruger tomorrow, and see if they'll send me a higher blade to put on it. And THANKS for jogging my elbow to all you guys!

9.3X62AL
06-11-2007, 01:16 AM
I thought the front sights were pinned like that--been a while since I fondled an SP-101, though.

Ruger does some intersting stuff with their front sights, My #1 has three front sight heights, posts that are secured by a spring detent and slide into a dovetail. CZ has a similar system, with 14 different posts.....talk about gilding the lily.

Good luck with that critter, sir.

Dale53
06-11-2007, 09:09 AM
Molly;
I checked around before I went the "Red Dot" way, and could find nothing available in after market front sights for the Ruger SP 101.

I have a couple of fixed sight pistols and revolvers. They are regulated for specific loads and work well. However, with my .32's I want to be able to shoot a variety of ammunition for different purposes. That requires fully adjustable sights. I hope that you don't get "ruined" after shooting mine:mrgreen: .

Dale53

Molly
06-11-2007, 06:48 PM
Dale,

> I checked around before I went the "Red Dot" way, and could find nothing available in after market front sights for the Ruger SP 101.

That's about what I figured, so I called Ruger first. They're sending me a complete set of all available sight heights for the 101 - free! Now, THAT's customer support.

> I have a couple of fixed sight pistols and revolvers. They are regulated for specific loads and work well. However, with my .32's I want to be able to shoot a variety of ammunition for different purposes. That requires fully adjustable sights. I hope that you don't get "ruined" after shooting mine.

(VBG) 'spect not. I'm currently planning on two basic loads for mine, both depending mostly on 'best loads' for a rifle. The pistol will serve as a backup in the event that a fast second shot might be needed.

1. The 'silent' load that I intend to work up for my Martini Cadet in .32 Long that Bob Snap is working up right now. I'm going to essentially duplicate the old .32 RF Long, which is about as perfect a round for squirrel hunting as they come.

2. A 'larger small game' round for the martini that is suitable for everything larger than squirrels up to and including raccoon & fox, but excluding deer sized game.

Granted, these will almost certainly require two differrent front sights, but I think Ruger just solved that problem ....

Molly
06-11-2007, 06:53 PM
> Ruger does some intersting stuff with their front sights, My #1 has three front sight heights, posts that are secured by a spring detent and slide into a dovetail.

Sure wish they'd used that on the SP 101!

> Good luck with that critter, sir.

Thank'ee kindly sir. I expect to enjoy it a great deal, and when my granddaughters get big enough to graduate from 22's they'll make a great next step for them. If either shows much in the way of serious interst, the Taurus will make a great wedding gift ...