PDA

View Full Version : Home alone

Jim
11-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Janet is leaving Sunday to go to Fairfax for training on a new system being installed. She'll be gone for ten days. How big a piece of log would I need to stop 150 to 175 grain FMJs out of an 8MM or a 1903? I thought it might be fun to do some shooting in the living room. [smilie=1: :popcorn:

Carolina Cast Bullets
11-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Yeah, go on, do it. Just make sure your couch is comfortable. OH Wait, we already know that it is.

41 mag fan
11-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Make sure it's plenty big around...that way if you miss you don't have to explain why your doing some impromtu remodeling!!

Jim
11-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Jeeesh, guys! Show a little love, huh? :bigsmyl2:

RayinNH
11-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Jim big logs are hard to come by. Get a smaller diameter one, say six inches and shoot at the end grain. Thirty inches long should last the ten days [smilie=s:...Ray

SharpsShooter
11-01-2012, 10:42 AM
I know a guy that does just what you describe, but with 22's The first and last time I was in his home, he sat on his couch and bump-fired off a 30 round magazine from his Ruger 10-22 into his fireplace insert filled with wood. I had just stopped by to return a borrowed nailer and he wanted to show me his "range". Claimed he did it all the time.

I departed rather abruptly and have never returned.

SS

41 mag fan
11-01-2012, 10:43 AM
We've got your back buddy!!! You set it up and miss, we'll explain it to her that some new member, (fake member) on here, triple dog dared you, you couldn't bounce a bullet off the corner, to the ceiling, to the floor to the other room and hit a log!!!

Jim
11-01-2012, 11:14 AM
We've got your back buddy!!! You set it up and miss, we'll explain it to her that some new member, (fake member) on here, triple dog dared you, you couldn't bounce a bullet off the corner, to the ceiling, to the floor to the other room and hit a log!!!

Oh, yeah. I can just hear Janet saying "Oh, well, if that's what happened, it's OK that you blew the glass outa' the gas log fire place door and shot a hole all the way through both sides of the water heater."

Yeah, as long as you back me up, I'll do just that.

runfiverun
11-01-2012, 11:34 AM
sweet i'll wait for both videos.
the one of the shot, and the second one of the beat down. :lol:
i have shot wd ww's through 16"s of pine and into the dirt before at 100 yds, in the 7x57 at about 1900 fps.
so i'd opt for about 30"s of pine for the first try with the fmj out side.

oneokie
11-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Do you have a pre-paid burial policy and plot?

Jim
11-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Do you have a pre-paid burial policy and plot?

No, I expect I'll be killed and my remains(what's left of it) will be buried in a pasture or thrown in a ravine like so many on the Missing Persons List at the Sheriff's Office.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
11-01-2012, 12:47 PM
big , real big , made up some 1300 fps 30-30 loads with flat nose cast 170s , tested them shooting a log from the wood pile right thru 10 inches of oak like an electric drill , but much faster

Houndog
11-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Jim,
You best remember that woman of yours OWNS a gun and likes to shoot! It'd be BAD to read about you in the obituaries because Janet decided to use YOU as a target for shootin up her house! Iffin she didn't get that mad and decided to let you live, sleepin outside in the cold on the back porch with that old hound don't sound like much fun do it? MAYBEEEEE it's time to reconsider!

Olevern
11-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Hey, if you get a ricochet into the floor just haul a throw rug over the hole!

crabo
11-01-2012, 04:24 PM
tested them shooting a log from the wood pile right thru 10 inches of oak like an electric drill , but much faster

22 pistol makes a pretty good drill in a pinch!

Goatwhiskers
11-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Well, I do remember a local guy who was sitting home alone in front of the fire and was a little deep into some liquid refreshment. A mouse ran out in front of the fire on the hearth. You don't want to know what a .45 slug does to a brick fireplace. No, it wasn't me. But I do remember once when the brain failed and I put one thru the kitchen door knob. Long story, even longer to live it down around home and the local SO deputies. GW

linotype
11-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Janet is leaving Sunday to go to Fairfax for training on a new system being installed. She'll be gone for ten days. How big a piece of log would I need to stop 150 to 175 grain FMJs out of an 8MM or a 1903? I thought it might be fun to do some shooting in the living room. [smilie=1: :popcorn:

Now that you are thinking about doing this at a more mature age, I just wonder what a dickens you were as a youngster. :kidding:

gwpercle
11-01-2012, 06:00 PM
This is exactly why my wife wont leave me at home unsupervised when she goes away. Only it envolved a bow and arrow and indoor target practice. Do you have any idea how many sheetrock walls an arrow will penetrate ? I do now .

gary

firefly1957
11-01-2012, 06:01 PM
It depends on wood type I discovered that a 44 magnum will shoot though over a foot of popular lengthwise but much less across the grain. The bullets seen to just push the grain out on this wood. I have also seen a 45 caliber round ball fired with 30 grs. of FFFg powder from a pistol bounce back at the shooter when a green oak log was used end-wise as a target.

Jim
11-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Now that you are thinking about doing this at a more mature age, I just wonder what a dickens you were as a youngster. :kidding:

Remind me to tell you the story about shootin' the cat outa' my second story bedroom window with a .410!

MT Gianni
11-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Jim, just haul the couch out on the porch.

x101airborne
11-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Jim, just haul the couch out on the porch.

What are you talking about? If he is anything like me, he already has a couch on the front porch. Only mine is a lazyboy recliner.

DRNurse1
11-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Jim,

Just because I want to keep you out of trouble with your better half (and not because I would LOVE to try out your rifles), come up my way for a day or two. We have a LOT of suddenly available lumber courtesy of that Sandy (lass or dude, I am not sure, but LOTS of lumber ). We have a generator and Franklin stove so were with power and heat when so many around us were without.

Blacksmith
11-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Jim

If you got enough distance for the bullet to stabilize in Hatcher's Notebook he said the .30-06 would penetrate 32 1/2 inches of oak and had a picture to prove it. It was 150 grain bullet with a muzzle velocity of 2700 FPS range 200 yards. He also included a table showing penetration in various materials the average for oak at 200 yds. was only13.8", concrete 4.0", loose earth 19.0", etc. He explained the shorter averages as unstable bullets that yaw inside the oak giving up energy. His picture of a yawed bullet left a nasty wound inside that oak.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Lots of folks are having good luck with the rubber mulch...

linotype
11-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Remind me to tell you the story about shootin' the cat outa' my second story bedroom window with a .410!

I'm getting an uneasy feeling here.... something about witness protection. :-o

Jim
11-02-2012, 07:26 AM
I'm getting an uneasy feeling here.... something about witness protection. :-o

I live by the 'Schultz' philosophy.

I KNOW NOTHING!

41 mag fan
11-02-2012, 11:16 AM
When janet gets back, just tell her you had a multitude of intruders in the house and outside, thats why therres bullet holes in walls and the windows are broken.

Go buy a big pair of boots get them muddy and tromp around the house and outside, so you have proof you had intruders. Maybe if you want for more proof have a buddy black your eye for you, so she'll feel sorry for you and do some momma loving on ya as you're remodeling the house and replacing the windows you shot out trying to scare the intruders away!!

if that don't work...RUN and RUN fast....come this way I'll hide ya out and send you on with some goodies in that napsack on your stick, Janet comes this way alooking i'll tell her you went to Canada....

blackthorn
11-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Quote---"Jim, just haul the couch out on the porch."

and get some hearing protection for that poor dog!!

Jim
11-02-2012, 11:26 AM
When janet gets back, just tell her you had a multitude of intruders in the house and outside, thats why therres bullet holes in walls and the windows are broken.

Go buy a big pair of boots get them muddy and tromp around the house and outside, so you have proof you had intruders. Maybe if you want for more proof have a buddy black your eye for you, so she'll feel sorry for you and do some momma loving on ya as you're remodeling the house and replacing the windows you shot out trying to scare the intruders away!!

if that don't work...RUN and RUN fast....come this way I'll hide ya out and send you on with some goodies in that napsack on your stick, Janet comes this way alooking i'll tell her you went to Canada....

Now, THAT'S the kind of back-up I'M talkin' about!

Daddy always said a friend will visit you in jail. A GOOD friend will help you hide the body!

RayinNH
11-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Doesn't Janet log on here occasionally...Ray

41 mag fan
11-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Now, THAT'S the kind of back-up I'M talkin' about!

Daddy always said a friend will visit you in jail. A GOOD friend will help you hide the body!

And an even better friend has the chains and 4 wheel drive ready to pull the bars off the Mayberry jail windows......or in this aspect..shoot them out!!

Jim
11-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Doesn't Janet log on here occasionally...Ray

Ray, I don't need no help gettin' in trouble. I can do that by myself! :bigsmyl2:

RayinNH
11-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Ray, I don't need no help gettin' in trouble. I can do that by myself! :bigsmyl2:

I have perfect confidence in you Jim [smilie=s:...Ray

S&W-629
11-02-2012, 04:56 PM
me and my old lady do it all the in the Office/Bathroom.she is a real good woman

Olevern
11-02-2012, 05:39 PM

Sumthing wrong wit dat? I shoot out my second story window all the time, overlooks the "back 40" with "targets of opportunity" that occasionally pop up when I look out from my reloading room. Have shot coyotes, fox and groundhogs from that window.

That's why I moved an hour and a half from the nearest shopping mall.

Jim
11-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Sumthing wrong wit dat? I shoot out my second story window all the time, overlooks the "back 40" with "targets of opportunity" that occasionally pop up when I look out from my reloading room. Have shot coyotes, fox and groundhogs from that window.

That's why I moved an hour and a half from the nearest shopping mall.

When you're 14 and livin' in a suburban neighborhood, shootin' a .410 out the window is not considered socially acceptable behavior. Especially when your target is somebody's cat. Some people just have no sense of humor at all.

CATS
11-02-2012, 08:40 PM
Hold on there friend, you are thinkin' about too much work. Scoot your chair over to the back door and leave those heavy logs out in the back yard. Don't throw your back out dragging stuff into then out out the house.

DCM
11-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Hold on there friend, you are thinkin' about too much work. Scoot your chair over to the back door and leave those heavy logs out in the back yard. Don't throw your back out dragging stuff into then out out the house.

Ya know ya got a durn good point there!
And with a cat on death row shootin in the house might just get to tempting.
The recliner on the porch sounds pretty good though, Kinda like Second hand lions.

bob208
11-03-2012, 08:35 AM
get the biggest you can find. start shooting working down in size. let us know when you reach the answer.

the other option of shooting in the end is good too. that way if there is any problems. you can talk your way out with all the wood you have split for winter.

Olevern
11-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Well, are you home alone yet? You will soon discover that it aint all it's talked up to be.

Just my personal opinion,YMMV

Well, off to ride dirtbikes with two eleven year olds.

Hope I don't break anything :-)

Jim
11-03-2012, 10:11 AM
Janet leaves Sunday morning. I spent three weeks out of every month for seven months alone when I was doing that range job, so it won't be new. It won't be the same, though.

Blacksmith
11-03-2012, 01:30 PM
You better forgive the cat in case it gets colder than a one dog night.

Jim
11-03-2012, 01:40 PM
That's funny, Blacksmith!

MtGun44
11-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Be careful, the 8mm is a penetrating fool.

Bill