PDA

View Full Version : .35 Rem "neckless"

357Mag
11-01-2012, 12:41 AM
Hey kids -

... .You say.... .35 Rem brass is gettin' harder to find... and ...you just cracked the
neck on one. Is THAT what's botherin' you... Bunkie ?!

" WELL... cheer up..... and take a walk in the sun " !

Just for grins, I took the neck clean-off the case, and ran w/ a bullet that has a
"rebated" boat tail. The idea being, have the flat surfce of the bullet base at the top of the boat tail; serve as the gas sealing point.

The bullet is from " Dead Center Duplex", and is their .357" calibre swaged
195 SPBT. These I pulled from a 12ea scab pack of .45cal sabotted ML rounds.

I patched w/ nylon self-stick "Dymo" label maker tape, after recalling fomer
S & W " Nyclad " ammo.

The question was combustion:
I figured I'd need the bullets jammed into the lands, in-order to do what I could to aid in dependable ignition/combustion. DCD's 175SPBTs do not reach the lands; even when fairly-thickly patched. The 195SPBTs DO.

The top of the boatail ( both weights ) runs .310".
Fortunately for me, my custom RCBS case forming die set to make .22-35 wildcat brass... includes a first-step .308" neck-down die.

I cut-off the cracked portion of the case' neck, tamped the shoulder of the case
w/ the .308 neck-down die; and trimmed in my Wilson case trimmer ve-wee
ve-wee care-fo-weee... to arrive @ a case mouth opening of .310". But most of all..... a good, flat/square case mouth opening. Then, I made another 5...
so that I could group test.

Since I was out in La La Land, I decided to try a conservative initial load of
16.2gr IMR4759 and Rem 91/2 ( based on experiences shooting 140 & 150gr
"J-words" w/ reduced IMR4759 charges @ 100.

I pushed a thin tripled-up layer of tissue paper over the powder, and then filled each case w/ "PuffLon" ; until the stuff would end up being compressed by the seated 195s.

I rushed to the range, in-time to make only the final 2 ( approx 15min ) relays.
First relay, I shot a trial "J"-word loads... 140 FTX over 17.1gr IMR4759.

Second relay, it was Scheutzen city, while I single-loaded each bulleted case;
w/ the 195s dangling near out of the case mouths. Aaacckkk ! Wished I had taken time to fashion a makeshift breech seater tool for the bullets, out of the plastic bullet seater tip DCD includes in their 12pac !

With the clock running out, I machine-gunned 5-shots 100yds down range; w/o any regard for watching the windlflag I had set-out earlier. Last shot landed 15 sec before the "cease fire ".

" Tell him what he won, Bob":
I was suprised to find the 195s shot some 12" higher @ 100 than the 140FTX loads ! I also pulled-off a 2.13" 5-shot group, one shot going rather wide.

- The 16.2gr load had fine pressure indications, and the fired cases don't emerge
sooty on their shoulders.
- Cases were all previously fire-formed,
and NOT FL sized.
- Chamber did not strike me as being overly dirty, atall ( 5 shots )

Next time out:
- Breech seater tool for the bullets
- Higher powder charge(s)
- Watch the flag
- Take more time

Film @ 11:00....

Regards,
357Mag

Lefty SRH
11-01-2012, 05:21 AM
Pretty interesting....

Salmoneye
11-01-2012, 09:28 AM
I do not have that much trouble finding cases...

Lefty SRH
11-05-2012, 11:09 PM
I do not have that much trouble finding cases...

Where do you find them?

starmac
11-06-2012, 01:22 AM
Grafs shows to have them in stock, haven't checked anywhere else. I am pretty sure the local sportsmans had them, the last time I was in there.

Salmoneye
11-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Where do you find them?

There is a local 'gravel pit' that is owned by a dairy farm...The owners have been in the shooting sports for generations, and allow access to their ranges for free (suggested donation)...This is the closest place to shoot to the only real city in the State...Many people from LEO to the 'Joe' that only 'confirms zero' on his deer rifle the week before deer season use this 'pit'...

The guys that reload are there weekly, and know each other for the most part...

The 'Joes' that buy two boxes for 'deer season', shoot a box and dump the brass in the barrels (where those of us that reload do our picking)...

This time of year there is a lot of .35 Rem, .308, .30-30, etc., free for the picking...In addition, there are thousands and thousands of rounds of Pistol calibers on the ground...

Some guy has left me a couple hundred .44 SPCL over the summer...

You NEVER find .45 Colt on the ground or in the barrels lol...

TXGunNut
11-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Where do you find them?

Remington does a run of them once or twice a year. Keep an eye on Cabela's and Midway because when they're gone, they're gone...until next time.

wrench man
11-07-2012, 01:55 AM
I haven't paid much attention lately? I have enough WINCHESTER 35 Rem to last me the rest of my life!

ohland
12-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Ran across the DCD while looking for higher BC 357 diameter bullets for use with the 357 Max - and - or 357/44 Bain and Davis.

What do the 175 grainers mic for diameter?

Alan in Vermont
12-16-2012, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=Salmoneye;1908240]There is a local 'gravel pit' that is owned by a dairy farm...The owners have been in the shooting sports for generations, and allow access to their ranges for free (suggested donation)...This is the closest place to shoot to the only real city in the State...Many people from LEO to the 'Joe' that only 'confirms zero' on his deer rifle the week before deer season use this 'pit'...QUOTE]

From the description and locale you have to be talking about the Laberges?

That being the case you're pretty close to me. I've never shot there but I know a guy here in town who is helping Louie with smithing, I guess Louie is in declining health.

Maybe we could meet there? So far I have yet to meet any member FTF.

OverMax
12-16-2012, 08:06 PM
A straight wall case on a 35. Ain't that something.That's ingenious no doubt about it.

Salmoneye
12-17-2012, 07:38 AM
[QUOTE=Salmoneye;1908240]There is a local 'gravel pit' that is owned by a dairy farm...The owners have been in the shooting sports for generations, and allow access to their ranges for free (suggested donation)...This is the closest place to shoot to the only real city in the State...Many people from LEO to the 'Joe' that only 'confirms zero' on his deer rifle the week before deer season use this 'pit'...QUOTE]

From the description and locale you have to be talking about the Laberges?

That being the case you're pretty close to me. I've never shot there but I know a guy here in town who is helping Louie with smithing, I guess Louie is in declining health.

Maybe we could meet there? So far I have yet to meet any member FTF.

That's the place...I grew up with 'The Boys', and they chased my cousins, but never caught em lol
My Sister lives around the corner in the house my Mother was literally born in...
I live on the 'other side' of Rt 7...

Louie is indeed not what he used to be, but most of us aren't lol
Mom was still seeing him at church, but not sure now...

I won't be spending much time in the pit till Spring now, and other than .223, 7.62x39, and pistol calibers, the pickings are pretty slim for brass in the Winter...I still shoot on Mom's land, but the brass picking leaves something to be desired ;-)

Hit me up after mud season, and I am sure I will be in a shooting mood...

Nobade
12-17-2012, 09:20 AM
You made your own levergun wolfpup round!

I just punched out my 35 Rem rifle to 356 rimless and use lake city brass. Plenty of that around.

357Mag
12-18-2012, 02:47 AM
Ohland -

Howdy !

Interestingly... the ones I have mic' .3545".

With regards,
357Mag

ohland
12-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Hey kids -
Just for grins, I took the neck clean-off the case, and ran w/ a bullet that has a "rebated" boat tail. The idea being, have the flat surfce of the bullet base at the top of the boat tail; serve as the gas sealing point. The bullet is from " Dead Center Duplex", and is their .357" calibre swaged 195 SPBT. These I pulled from a 12ea scab pack of .45cal sabotted ML rounds. 357Mag

What gun and twist were you using? I read the PR page, and it kinda looks like they expect a 1:24 twist.

Supposedly, the Encore 357/44 B&D has a 1:14 twist. A bit faster than the muzzle loaders...

rbuck351
12-19-2012, 12:52 AM
When you first sign on to cast boolits there is a place at the top "ABT" which is a new for us brass trading forum. Sign up and put on an add for the brass you need. That's where I found a bunch.

357Mag
12-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Ohland -

Howdy !

I tried sending you a PM, yesterday.

My rifle is a CT-made Marlin M-336 XLR .35 Remington.
So... what IS the twist then..... 1-16 ?

Yeah... the fact that the swaged DCD 175s mic'd below .357" calibre came as a sort of suprise to me; too.
As stated previous, I'm " patching " w/ DYMO label maker ( nylon ) tape. In that regard, the .354" diam doesn't seem so large a factor; overall.
The stuff is so easy to work w/ and apply to the bullets, that ( for now ) I can tolerate the slight shortage in coverage.

At the supplied width, the tape does not quite cover all the area of the ogive that shows engraving by the rifling. Leading ( so far ) hasn't been a problem.... if for no other reason than the fact I'm only shooting 5-shot groups.

With the tape added to the bullets, DCD's .35 calibre 175s won't reach the rifling.
I am using their .35 cal 195 swaged SPBTs... patched w/ the DYMO tape.

A note to all posters to this thread:
I didn't try the " .35 neckless " because I could not find any .35 Rem brass. I had a bad neck on one .35Rem case, and.... one thing lead to another.
One thing about the project that is interesting, is the fact that I can load viable rounds w/o having to use " dies ".
The ONLY reason I might end-up having to use a ( sizing ) " die ", is if/when the case " mouth " expands to the point where I can't get the gas sealing I need.
It's fer sher..... I don't need a bullet seater die or neck sizer die for it !!!

With regards,
357Mag

NYBushBro
12-22-2012, 06:51 AM
If that case were trimmed off @ the base of the shoulder (1.5" length), it would be nearly identical to the .401 WSL...