PDA

View Full Version : e.r. shaw barrel kit for a savage 110 ?

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-31-2012, 05:39 PM
I have a few questions about these

has anyone used the kit , how did it work

i don't know a lot about savages but it appears there are 110 short and 110 long actions short for 308 parent cartridges , long for 30-06 parent cartridges

it was my understanding that the savage 210 was basically a older a 110 without the outrigger i was wondering about using a 210 as the action for a build

I had been thinking a 30-30 bolt gun would be fun cast gun but that seemed like a bit more difficult and limiting then a look at the 308 dimensions got me thinking then i thought a 35 cal on a 308 case would be a perfect cast gun

i had hardly even heard of 358 Winchester , but it seems like it would be a ideal cast gun

a few searches and reading thru some posts on 358 make me sure it would be a very good cast gun , that i could shoot pistol bullets out of with reduced loads as well as 250 gr 358009 out of it for deer or larger game

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/343533/e-r-shaw-barrel-kit-savage-110-series-small-shank-358-winchester-factory-magnum-contour-1-in-14-twist-24-stainless-steel

Wolfer
10-31-2012, 06:58 PM
I rebarreled my 223 with an ER Shaw kit. Worked very well, was very easy, didn't outshoot the barrel I took off at first. After I got about 100 rds through it started shooting a lot better.
Now it shoots quite well.
I would be interested in a 358 barrel for this gun also. Would have to change out my bolt face and magizine box but I don't think they offer one. Being a custom shop they might make one though.
The two digit model numbers are short action ie: 11,10,12 etc. three digit are long ie: 110 etc.

JesterGrin_1
10-31-2012, 07:15 PM
The 358009 is more like 280Gr or so depending on alloy used.

As for the dimensions of the Savage 210 barrel threads I do not know. This is something you will have to check on.

As for the kit. If you plan to do this yourself I think it is a good deal.

And all I can say even though I am a beginner with the .358 Winchester is WOW lol. Do a search and you will find a bunch of good information on it. Is it a good round no it is a FANTASTIC round. :) The .358 Winchester can do many things and do them well. From light weight to heavy J word bullets to the same with cast boolits depending on what you plan to hunt and at what range.

If I knew what I know now years ago I would have saved some time and money by going with a few cartridges. One is my Marlin 1895GS in 45-70 and the .358 Winchester.

Will the .358 Winchester shoot I do not know since I am just starting load work but I feel Strongly that it will do just fine. Here is my group of test rounds with 5 shots for each group at 50 yards with a 220Gr Cast Boolit with a Gas Check. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/SHAKERATTLEROLL/Savage358Win.jpg

youngda9
10-31-2012, 07:27 PM
^^ What 220 grain boolit are you shooting ?

NICE groups !

JesterGrin_1
10-31-2012, 07:28 PM
There is a GB going on right now for an RCBS 35-200 GC clone going on now.

The one I am using was made by BRP which is no longer in business sorry to say.

whisler
10-31-2012, 09:58 PM
savage 210 is a bolt action shotgun

GREENCOUNTYPETE
11-01-2012, 09:04 AM
savage 210 is a bolt action shotgun

yes you are very right , i checked the web site , the Stevens 200 rifle is what i was thinking , they just call it the 200 it comes in short and long chamberings from the looks of the savage web site

is it a older 110 or 10 receiver , does it have the same threads and barrel nut , it looked like it and it would seem illogical to have separate tooling for your bargain rifle than for your standard , but it doesn't mean that it was done

that also gets to the question of , does the Axis or Edge also use the same thread and nut

Bullshop
11-01-2012, 10:18 AM
yes you are very right , i checked the web site , the Stevens 200 rifle is what i was thinking , they just call it the 200 it comes in short and long chamberings from the looks of the savage web site

is it a older 110 or 10 receiver , does it have the same threads and barrel nut , it looked like it and it would seem illogical to have separate tooling for your bargain rifle than for your standard , but it doesn't mean that it was done

that also gets to the question of , does the Axis or Edge also use the same thread and nut

I have interchanged barrels between the old Savage 110 and the newer Stevens 200. Also have used the same barrel between Savage 110 long action, Savage 112 series J and Stevens 200 short action.
As for the new generation of Savage likely including the axis I have no experiance but believe the threaded shank is larger in diameter.
When ever I have orderd a barrel for a Savage they ask if it is a large or small shank.
My understanding is that small shank is OLD Savage 110 and possibly other model numbers like 111 and 112 and includes the Stevens 200 and all current models of new generation are large diameter threaded shank.

tomme boy
11-01-2012, 01:07 PM
The large shank is on the WSM cases and the target actions. All others are small.

Elkins45
11-01-2012, 03:19 PM
The large shank is on the WSM cases and the target actions. All others are small.

Are you sure? I seem to recall they were eventually switching all of their new production over to the large shank so they only had to produce one size.

Bullshop
11-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Are you sure? I seem to recall they were eventually switching all of their new production over to the large shank so they only had to produce one size.

Yes I too would like to know for sure.
I thought the same thing about them going large diameter on all production.

tomme boy
11-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Target rifle series, Long range precision varmint, and anything with the WSM case. These will all be a large shank, all others are small. The new Edge or Axis is also small shank. Barrel switch on them just like the others.

Jailer
11-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Target rifle series, Long range precision varmint, and anything with the WSM case. These will all be a large shank, all others are small. The new Edge or Axis is also small shank. Barrel switch on them just like the others.

This is correct. I recently did a barrel swap on an Axis and it's the same as a 110.

Go pick up a single shot target model and a 110/112/114/116 at a gun shop and compare them and you'll see the difference.

Bullshop
11-01-2012, 10:56 PM
So the receiver ring OD is larger as well on the large shank models?

FergusonTO35
11-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Ooh, the Axis can use 110 barrels. If it were only possible to get different stocks for it...

tomme boy
11-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Not sure on the O.D. of the receiver. I have a 10 series I am using right now. I have built a LRPV in 308win a few years back. I think they are the same. But don't hold me to that one. I really like the LRPV series actions. The one I had was a single shot model. It was a very stiff action. I had Kevin Rayhill of Stockade stocks build it for me. It shot consistently 0.15" for 5 shots. Over and over. I was the handicap shooting that gun. Mike Rock 5R barrel with 1-11.27" twist. Chambered and throated for the 175gr Sierra Matchking.

Elkins45
11-02-2012, 11:05 AM
So the receiver ring OD is larger as well on the large shank models?

Yes. If you're going to swap barrels you need to make sure you have the correct barrel diameter to match the receiver. Shilen and other prefit barrel makers now ask you to specify large or small shank when ordering barrels.

Bullshop
11-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Anyone try the right hand bolt with left side port model?

Frank46
11-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Just some info here. I have a savage 110FP in 308 with the long action. Bought it about 17 years ago. Shoots better than my rem 700 sendero in the same caliber. Frank

tomme boy
11-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Not the left port, mine was a right port. They are a single shot receiver. The bottom is not milled out. They also use 3 screws to tighten down the stock. I have heard that there is a couple of different bolt patterns to the Target actions also. That is one reason most of the aftermarket stock makers hate Savage. Seems every couple years they change something on them so that the older parts don't work. Stocks being the main one.

GaCop
11-03-2012, 09:22 AM
I've been building rifles on Savage actions for about 7 years now. All standard calibers on the 10/110 action are small shank barrels. As stated previously, WSMs and target actions will have the large shank. You can tell a large shank barrel by the step down just in front of the barrel nut.

I found I can outshoot many Remington 700s with my builds. I can achieve groups of slightly more than one inch at 400 yards with the 168 gr Match King in my 308 that is barreled with a stainless 1 inchl bull barrel at the muzzle, made by Kreiger. I recently went to the B&C tactical stock with the bedding block and have not found any reason to glass bed since I went to it.

kir_kenix
11-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Not sure on the O.D. of the receiver. I have a 10 series I am using right now. I have built a LRPV in 308win a few years back. I think they are the same. But don't hold me to that one. I really like the LRPV series actions. The one I had was a single shot model. It was a very stiff action. I had Kevin Rayhill of Stockade stocks build it for me. It shot consistently 0.15" for 5 shots. Over and over. I was the handicap shooting that gun. Mike Rock 5R barrel with 1-11.27" twist. Chambered and throated for the 175gr Sierra Matchking.

I have a target action built on by Kevin Rayhill as well. Mine is a 260 Rem. Improved. It is currently on its sixth barrel. Several Benchmarks, Lija, Krieger, a Hart, and currently a Shilen. I shoot F-Class with it and like expirmenting with barrels. Kevin is a genious. The work he does with Savages is amazing.

More on topic...yes the Stevens 200 is a small shank. I have a regular Savage 10 308 with a large shank...so they do exist. People have told me that no regular 10 or 110's have been built with large shanks before.