PDA

View Full Version : The Men Who Built America

Jim
10-31-2012, 08:31 AM
I watched a show on the History Channel last night called "The Men Who Built America (http://www.history.com/shows/men-who-built-america)", fascinating! It was about the rise of the industries right around the introduction of the twentieth century. Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, Carnegie and J.P. Morgan were some of the big names they talked about. I learned a lot! It comes on at 9 eastern on Tusdays. I'll be keeping up with it.

Moonman
10-31-2012, 08:35 AM
Very GOOD and INFORMATIVE show for a change, considering the usual reality show drivel out there.

Jeff82
10-31-2012, 08:59 AM
I'm a big fan as well. Very interesting.

dragonrider
10-31-2012, 09:08 AM
I haven't watched it yet, but after such endorsments I will check out on Tuesday next. I will also look for the episodes I have missed.

41 mag fan
10-31-2012, 09:11 AM
It's amazing how Carnegie and Rockefeller were such rivals to be the wealthiest person in the U.S.

Jim
10-31-2012, 09:11 AM
Very GOOD and INFORMATIVE show for a change, considering the usual reality show drivel out there.

Give me one good educational documentary and you can have the TV the rest of the evenin'. Those 'reality' shows are as about as real as unicorns.

FISH4BUGS
10-31-2012, 09:56 AM
I took my TV to the range and machine gunned it 25 years ago. It was a very liberating moment. A Mac11A1 380 submachine gun (yup....with cast boolits yet!) does wonders with a 32 round magazine! I finished it off with a 20 ga Serbu Super Shorty.
After cleaning up the mess, I have not had a TV in my home for 25 years. On rare occasions (like this one) I regret not having one, but those moments are few and far between.
When I travel, I don't need to go to a bar or out to party....I am happy to sit in the hotel and surf the channels.....that is when I am reminded WHY I murdered my TV!

Olevern
10-31-2012, 09:57 AM
Give me one good educational documentary and you can have the TV the rest of the evenin'. Those 'reality' shows are as about as real as unicorns.

Or Zombies!

Baja_Traveler
10-31-2012, 10:05 AM
I've been watching it also. Really interesting how Carnegie hired a D. Bag to do all his dirty work for him - but J.P. Morgan was the biggest D. Bag of them all. Completely screwed Westinghouse out of all his patents using bully tactics, then did a hostile takeover of Edison.

HORNET
10-31-2012, 10:41 AM
Zombies are REAL!! At least in Chicago. Every election they rise and head for the polls...

Mike Kerr
10-31-2012, 12:11 PM
I have been watching the show, and so far it has been worthwhile, and actually of Historical content. The History Channel has been out in left field as far as I am concerned with shows like Ice Road Truckers, Swamp people or whatever else seems to give them a rating boost. Not that those shows don't have a following I just can't see the Historical connection.

Now "Pawn Stars" and "Pickers" try very hard to give you a Historical tie in even though its lightweight content so I can see them on History Channel for their ratings boost.

regards

:grin::grin:

km101
10-31-2012, 09:22 PM
I saw the show, and agree that it was very well done. It even had some little known facts that you dont ordinarily get. I put it on Season Pass so I wont miss any of them.

plmitch
10-31-2012, 10:06 PM
Best thing I've seen on the tv for a while. Well worth watching.

shooterg
10-31-2012, 10:49 PM
The guys that built the country weren't very nice ! I'm thinking we might need some of the same attitudes to RE-build .