PDA

View Full Version : Can you show me a picture of your water drop bucket?

dmftoy1
06-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Specifically I'm interested in how you've rigged the towel. I've decided I'm tired of rearranging them on the towel all the time and that it'd be alot easier to water drop everything. I haven't been able to come with any good idea's how to rig the towel so they roll down into the water . ..I guess I'm just not all that bright. :)

Have a good one,
Dave

Johnch
06-08-2007, 08:41 PM
I use a 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full of water
Then I throw in 10 small kitchen spounges , ajust the number to the size of the spounges
Drop bullets on the spounges and they roll over to drop the bullets , but only after the bullet has time to harden

No more dented bullets
Also no big splashs

Oh BTW I set the 5 gallon bucket on a bench , so the bullets onl have to drop about 6"
Easyer on the back

John

trickyasafox
06-08-2007, 08:51 PM
I use a folgers plastic coffee container with a t-shirt with a small 2 inch slit on it. i fill the container about 2/3-3/4 full and set the shirt just below the water. the bullets get dropped on the side of the shirt and roll to the middle and fall through.

I'm new though, so don't put a lot of weight into my set up

eka
06-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Five gallon bucket 3/4 full. I take an old T-shirt and stretch it over the top of the bucket and leave it loose where it hangs loose down toward the water. I have a slit approximately four inches long in the shirt that the bullets fall through in the water. I put an old towel in the bottom of the bucket. I secure the T-shirt around the top of the bucket with a bungee cord. When you drop the bullets they roll down the T-shirt, fall throught the hole and into the water.

Seems to work for me.

Keith

OLPDon
06-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Dave:
I use 5 gal bucket 2/3 filled with water and about 3 or so inches of package peanuts (styrofoam) boolits fall right through and no splashing. Simple but effective.
Don

arkypete
06-08-2007, 10:13 PM
I use a five gallon bucket set on the floor on my left side by my boot. I put an old burlap sack in the bottom fill 3/4s full. Never had a problem with splashes since there's two or so feet between the water and the pot.
Jim

twoworms
06-08-2007, 10:44 PM
I use two towels, one covers about 80% of the top of the bucket the second towel us set up so it forms a channel to the other side of the bucket. The boolits drop in one side of the bucket and roll to the other side then drop in the water. I don't see any splash, you just have to work at getting the towel set up right to work well.

Sorry no pic,

Tim

felix
06-08-2007, 10:49 PM
I do what Jim, arkypete, does. Jim, are you from AR? ... felix

Uncle Grinch
06-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Five gallon bucket 3/4 full. I take an old T-shirt and stretch it over the top of the bucket and leave it loose where it hangs loose down toward the water. I have a slit approximately four inches long in the shirt that the bullets fall through in the water. I put an old towel in the bottom of the bucket. I secure the T-shirt around the top of the bucket with a bungee cord. When you drop the bullets they roll down the T-shirt, fall throught the hole and into the water.

Seems to work for me.

Keith

My WQ method is very similar to Keith's. Been doing it that way for years and never had any splash back.

imashooter2
06-08-2007, 11:44 PM
I place a 5 gallon bucket 3/4 full on top of a second 5 gallon bucket to raise it off the floor. No rags or towels required.

maas
06-09-2007, 07:38 AM
I took a piece of carpet and cut a circle three inches bigger all the way around the top of a 5gal bucket. Then cut a line to the center of the circle. Put it in the bucket while the bucket is filling 2/3 full of water to get it soaked through. Push the center of the circle into the bucket and it'll form a funnel a little off center. You can adjust the slit in the center to be as big as you wish. Hold the carpet in place with a spring clamp on the edge of the bucket where the carpet overlaps it's self.
Nebraska - CM

dmftoy1
06-09-2007, 08:13 AM
Thanks for all the replies guys. It looks like the easiest way is to use the T-Shirt and bungee cord. I might play around with packing peanuts and sponges though as that sounds like it'd work pretty well too. Off to the garage to play. :)

Have a good one,
Dave

44man
06-09-2007, 09:56 AM
I just use a 5 gal bucket of water. Never get dented boolits because the are hard before hitting the bottom. If you worry about a dent from the bucket bottom, you still have to worry about a boolit hitting a boolit. Not worth fooling with.

felix
06-09-2007, 10:05 AM
Yep, just go to a 7 gallon bucket if dents occur with a 5 gallon bucket. Or, raise the 5 gallon bucket on up higher at 90+ degrees away from the pot, and let the splashes do their thing on the mold. Doesn't seem to hurt the accuracy for most guns when the amount of mold cooling by the splashes is this random. ... felix

OLPDon
06-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Had to add a addendum to my post:
Being a older caster also a (card carring member of AARP) for longer I care to remember or can for that matter. I can keep the bucket same level as casting and in close proimity., keeping turning and bending to min. it also helps me to keep a steady rhytm (more consistant).

Now for the best part, if I feel I need additional peanuts I just order something I WANTED and not realy needed. I like to live guilt free and justify what I have done. And the only one I need to justify to is my fathfull Dog (Zora). And I let her have one of her favorite treats when UPS stops at the front door. I think she likes the UPS person as much as I do.

Nuff said have fun and listen to them sizzle when Boolits hit the H2O.

Don

arkypete
06-09-2007, 08:57 PM
I do what Jim, arkypete, does. Jim, are you from AR? ... felix

Felix
yes!
Don't hold it against me, please.
From time to time I like exorcise my demons in the political forum.
Jim

Larry Gibson
06-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Hmmmmm...5 gal buckets, rags, towels, carpet....I guess I'm just so last year, I use a coffee can 3/4s full of cold water set on top of a stool to my left. Seems to work fine...guess if it ain't broke I won't fix it with a high tech solution for a problem I don't have.

Larry Gibson

sundog
06-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Larry, +1. I've been using the same two 3-lb coffee cans for years. Set it on a stool to the left, and go on. I drop the spue on a towel in front of me, dump the boolits, repour, and while the sprue is setting up, I put the previous sprue back in the pot. Yea, yea, I know, don't ever put the sprues back in the pot. I've heard that forever, but I honestly cannot tell a difference. Since it works for me, I'll keep on keeping on.

Ranch Dog
06-10-2007, 09:39 AM
I typically cast a bunch of bullets at one time and use an igloo cooler to drop them into. It has a towel on the bottom and as that towel get covered with bullets, I sink another towel on top of it. With the size of the cooler, it's easy to hit on the drop and you get amazingly accurate with where you want them to land to help avoid the pile up I got with buckets (bullets landing on one another). Of course it's easy to drain the water off...

Larry Gibson
06-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Larry, +1. I've been using the same two 3-lb coffee cans for years. Set it on a stool to the left, and go on. I drop the spue on a towel in front of me, dump the boolits, repour, and while the sprue is setting up, I put the previous sprue back in the pot. Yea, yea, I know, don't ever put the sprues back in the pot. I've heard that forever, but I honestly cannot tell a difference. Since it works for me, I'll keep on keeping on.

Sundog and I must have went to two different schools together! That is EXACTLY how I do it also.

Larry Gibson

Glen
06-10-2007, 03:09 PM
I use a 5-gallon bucket, filled about 10" deep with water. Into this I place a smaller plastic bucket (a laundry soap container) with a bunch of 1/8" holes drilled in the bottom to catch the bullets, and make their extraction easier. I have an old towel that I cut a 4" slit in, that I dunk into the water, then stretch loosely across the top of the 5-gallon bucket like a tired drum-head, and hold it in place with a large rubber band (available at office supply stores).

I drop the bullets onto the wet towel, they roll downhill to the center (where the slit is), getting cooled as they go, and then they plop into the water below.

When I'm done, I pull off the rubber band and the towel and lift out the bucket, drain the bullets, and pour them out onto another towel to dry.

OLPDon
06-11-2007, 01:29 PM
Glen:
The bucket inside the bucket I am going to use that idea. Hmmmm :confused: Now Why didn't think of that? Just needed to improve my mouse trap, or rather Boolit cooling trap.
Don

cohutt
06-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Don't know if i can describe mine very well- (pictures would mean i'd have to charge my camera and get off my rear so that won't happen soon).

Cardboard box hangs at angle on edge of bench with the bottom panels opened and taped so that there is a chute that all the bullets roll down though when they drop. Bucket is under box 1/2 full of water (i use the 3 gallon size from Homey Depot.) Box gives nice easy target to drop the bullets into; box bottom blocks any splash that might come up from bucket.
I set up the box simply by putting some lead on one of the top flaps (opened outwards so the lead holds the flap down on the bench surface) so that the box is hanging from the edge of and slightly below the bench. The angle works well as the bullets drop and hit the bottom of the box, roll down the cardboard and then are directed back the other way (under the bench) into the bucket.

It is cheap b*stard engineering at its best, but quite functional. I set it up temporarily (I thought) with the idea i would design the perfect drop set up. HA. it works so well i left it alone. (Box put under the bench out of the way when not in use.)

piwo
06-11-2007, 08:05 PM
It's amazing how many guys have 10's of thousands of dollars in firearms and nobody seems to have (save one) a cheap digital camera! :kidding: :-D

Poor guy just wants a picture of these towel bucket rigs. Common guys, belly up! I don't water cool so do not have any experience in same.:coffee: