PDA

View Full Version : Windy day here

frkelly74
10-30-2012, 11:13 PM
We saw on the news that some of the backlash from the big storm was supposed to be whipping up waves on Lake Michigan. Now normally the weather is pretty placid around here and any tornado activity is always over real quick with localized damage if any. It is one of the attractions of living here in the big mitten. So My Wife was off today and we both had the idea that we should pack up the kids and go see if there was any excitement to be seen. That is one of the attractions to homeschooling, you can declare a field trip and go. South Haven is close and that is where we headed. The drive over was calm and we went past the Todd Farm where goose hunting is permitted by a lottery drawing and saw some geese and oddly there were gulls sitting among the geese in the refuge areas. So I said " There must be some wind for the gulls to be this far from the Lake". It did not seem windy at the Farm though. We angled through Glenn on Blue Star Highway and then got onto Lake Shore Drive and into a residential area with a bluff and we could see waves and white water but we were high up and could not get the full effect of the waves. So we went on into town and right down to the North Municipal Beach and it was really blowing. My face got sand blasted and all the kids were just kind of staggering in the wind. Noah , the littlest and bravest one, wanted to go on the break water and I am sure that would have been the last we would have seen of him. I made him hold on to my hand and did not let go. We watched it for a while and I said to my wife " Did you bring the camera?" , She said " No''. But it was fun to go see and know that we could go back to our snug almost paid for house and get hot chocolate. We are reminded that we are not really in control of quite a lot of things in this old world. Tomorrow I will have to vacuum out the car.

HORNET
10-31-2012, 08:17 AM
According to the local news, the wind gusts were up to almost 70 mph and the waves were hitting 18-25 feet. I did NOT go squirrel hunting, they were flying past too fast...

frkelly74
10-31-2012, 08:35 AM
I was guessing 50 to 60 mph wind.