PDA

View Full Version : Reloading fun at the bench

Jal5
10-30-2012, 10:14 AM
For the first time I had my son and 3 grandkids in the reloading area with me last night. They wanted to see how Papa makes bullets. So after explaining in a basic way how it works, and how to keep their hands off their faces, etc. the kids took turns on my single stage press with my supervision decapping/expanding a bunch of 9mm brass. They had a ball and wanted to know when we would "stage 2" in the process. I think I am recruiting a bunch of new reloaders here! Only one finger pinched in the process too. Then we all did the wash up before dinner. Safety first! [smilie=l:

I should have taken a picture, maybe tonite for stage 2. They are waiting out the storm at my house for a few days.

Jim
10-30-2012, 10:25 AM
You had the grands in the gun room with you? [smilie=w: Man, that just ain't fair!:violin: My grands are 6 hours away!:(

I'm jealous, ya' big booger!:bigsmyl2:

Jal5
10-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Jim these kids are normally 8 hrs. away. They came in for the weekend, the storm hit and we are getting an extra long visit. But that is better than when they lived in Denver and we only saw one another once, twice a year. Joe

merlin101
10-30-2012, 12:47 PM
Thats GREAT! I have a grandson thats 9yrs and his mother has him so scared of "evil guns" that are "made just to kill people" that my son and I had a hard time convincing him that he wouldn't die from holding a BB gun!
Devorce can really mess with a kids head.:x

smokeywolf
10-30-2012, 01:15 PM
That's wonderful that your introducing a new generation to reloading. Sounds like your getting them off to the right start.

smokeywolf

Boerrancher
10-30-2012, 01:25 PM
It is great to see kids being introduced to the gun and reloading culture at an early age. Kids who grow up in the gun and bible culture which seem to go hand in hand, generally don't grow up to be gang banging dope dealers. Before the age of 5 all of my children were introduced to the reloading room. My youngest who is now seven, I would not hesitate to tell him to go load me a box of shells. He knows how to work all of the equipment, knows where I keep my loading data for each of my rifles, and can read and do math better than most high school kids. The only thing I have not turned all of my children loose with is the Holy Black.

Best wishes,

Joe

Jim
10-30-2012, 01:35 PM
So where's the pics? Huh?

captain-03
10-30-2012, 03:53 PM
So where's the pics? Huh?

Yep!! We need some pictures!!

Philngruvy
10-30-2012, 08:02 PM
I love to hear stories about men teaching their grandkids skills that will carry over. Good for you, Jal5. Three of my grandkids are in Idaho which means I get to see them maybe two times a year. The other two are in Florida and I see them more often. We try to get the kids up to the mountain for a month each summer where we do lots of horse back riding, treking the mountain trails on the Polaris Ranger, swimming at the river, etc. My grandson, Matthew is quite a hands on little guy. At five years old, he helped me assemble the forecart that our ponies pull. He was very meticulous about which direction the nuts and bolts turn and was a whiz at using the wrenches. When I was reloading some 30-30s, he watched for about two minutes and then he had to get involved. He did a wonderful job of seating the boolits for me. Moments such as that make me realize that all the trials and tribulations we go through in life are really worth it.

Jal5
10-30-2012, 08:03 PM
Ok here are my newest reloaders-
Giovanna,max, and Vince.

DCM
10-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Outstanding!

Junior1942
10-30-2012, 08:36 PM
outstanding!+1!!!!!!

SPRINGFIELDM141972
10-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Great stuff!

Kudos to you.

daniel lawecki
10-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Awsome my grandkids live with me. Boy& girl they are 9&10 they been shooting with me and reloading for about 4yrs now. Enjoy every minute you can. We also fish grandson has been fishing sine he was 4yrs old.

Jal5
10-30-2012, 10:28 PM
It's been great fun visiting with them and beginning to show them my hobby. In a couple of years the oldest one may shoot the 22lr.

bigjason6
10-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Very cool!

Blacksmith
10-31-2012, 02:33 AM
Don't let the libertards know you are using child labor. They look really interested. Good job!

EMC45
10-31-2012, 10:45 AM
Great job! I should have had my bunch popping the pan lube bullets out. I'm not a fan of that "chore".

JeffinNZ
10-31-2012, 04:27 PM
My Abby is nearly 5 now and yesterday was asking to make 'bullets'. Unfortunately I have been doing so little shooting there is not real need right now. Might just have to stock pile.

Jal5
10-31-2012, 11:24 PM
Kids can have a lot of fun helping you and you get great 1:1 time too.

latesvak
11-01-2012, 12:34 AM
Well I'm not old enough (36) as of now to have grand kids but I do get my 3yr old out in the garage to help as often as she wants to . It's so great to have a little helper and to teach her something so useful .

Latesvak

farmallcrew
11-01-2012, 04:36 AM
Thats great!!! Glad to see new reloaders everyday. Even if they can't drive yet. haha. I never head of reloading until a family friend got a job where i used to live and he needed a place to stay until he found a house for him and his family. (my dad went to grade school with him) so he stayed with us for a few months. I was just starting to save money for firearms, so i only had 2. One night we were sitting around the table and he asks, "where are the gun shops around here?" i said i know a few(but i bought my guns at public sale). So my dad, him and myself got in the car and went to gun shops.

He started looking at brass and I asked him " its missing bullet and powder and primer, ummmm?" he laughed and said its reloading. well that night when we got home, I sat at my desk with a calculator and paper and pen, and figured out if this"reloading" is worth it.

Well 15 yrs later and about 5k invested total for the 15 yrs for brass, bullets, powder, primers, dies, and all the other goodies.

I would still be buying factory loads and giving them the money if he hadn't stayed with us for a few months.

WRideout
11-01-2012, 06:53 AM
My oldest daughter is 32 this month. She still remembers fondly molding boolits in the garage with me when she was about ten.
Wayne

gwpercle
11-01-2012, 06:07 PM
You learning them good! Start em early , teach em how to do it right and you will have reloading and shooting buddies fof life . Then they can pass it own...
Great job...gary