PDA

View Full Version : shooting range accident

colt 357
10-29-2012, 09:36 PM
I just heard on the news here that their was a shooting at one of the shooting ranges here. Not much details yet. But it sound like a small 8 yr old boy wondering pass the shooting benches and was accidently shot in the head. Sounds like the injuries are NOT life treating and he well be ok. More detail were going to be released on the 10 o'clock news. I well update then. So ask for your hopes and prays for this young man's recovery. Becareful out there and watch out for the unexpected.

starmac
10-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Wow I have a habit of taking extreme care when kids are around ( parking lots etc.) but I can see this happening real easy when your concentrating on the sights and target.

Wish them both the best.

koehn,jim
10-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Hope the kid is ok but where were the parents or whomever was supposed to be watching him.

tomme boy
10-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Where in Iowa?

Bloodman14
10-29-2012, 11:22 PM
Man, that is the last thing we need; hope the kid is O.K.

Frank46
10-29-2012, 11:40 PM
I have had experiences with unruly kids at the local range. Never one so serious as the little boy though. A dad and his son came on to our range and evidently someone had left the gate unlocked. the kid went and trashed my targets that I had just set up. When he came back I politely spoke with the father who was not a member of our club. Thats why the gate is supposed to be locked when entering and leaving. I basically told dad to either curb your son and that since he was tresspassing he could be held liable. I could tell he wanted to either start something or say something smart but he did not. The kid kept running back and forth and was touching other folks guns. That was when I told him he had to leave before someone else got on his case. He did leave after that. Our range has a good safety record but all it takes is one accident like the one above. Frank

smoked turkey
10-29-2012, 11:59 PM
Boy that is a very bad deal. The dad or whom ever brought him should be feeling pretty bad about this. I pray that the lad will recover completely and that dad will learn a thing or two about safety.

colt 357
10-30-2012, 12:13 AM
here is the news upated on the story as copied from kwwl's website'

CEDAR FALLS (KWWL) -
A shooting was reported Monday afternoon at Black Hawk Park in Cedar Falls.

It happened around 5:25 p.m. at the shooting range.

Authorities say 8-year-old David William Young wandered out in front of a firing line where another family member was participating in target practice. When officers arrived on scene, the boy's mother was with him.

According to the Black Hawk County Sheriff's Office, the initial investigation shows that Young was shot by a .22 caliber rifle at short range.

Young was taken to Covenant Medical Center and later airlifted to Iowa City Hospitals and Clinics to the Brain Trauma Unit.

Reloader06
10-30-2012, 12:28 AM
Wow. Knee mail sent on their behalf.

Matt

nitroproof
10-30-2012, 05:02 AM
My prayers are with the boy & family...

x101airborne
10-30-2012, 08:20 AM
Prayers sent.

I shoot with my oldest and he is just turning 10, and he has DEFINATELY been shooting for two or three years now, but I am not sure how I would feel about an 8 year old running loose at a public range. Even on my private property, we are extremely careful to devote all of our attention to the kids while handeling firearms and when we are done, watch them "open and show clear" all weapons. Not that it cant happen still, just scared as heck that this would happen to one of mine. So, many many prayers sent for this family.

btroj
10-30-2012, 08:24 AM
Goes to show why gun safety is so important.

Kids and dogs at a range must be kept on a short leash.

I sure hope the kid recovers fully.

41 mag fan
10-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Whoever was the responsible adult of the 8 yr old needs charged for child negligence on this one if the child survives.

Thats just plain dumb on the adults behalf to not monitor the child more closely

Boerrancher
10-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Kids and dogs at a range must be kept on a short leash.

I grew up on a rifle range. When I was a toddler mom and dad kept me on a really short leash. By the time I was 4 or 5 I knew better than to be anywhere near the firing line, or to touch anyone's gun with out asking for permission from the owner and having them clear it first to make sure it was not loaded. If they wouldn't clear it for me I didn't touch it. Period.

Parents don't parent anymore. I feel sorry for most kids growing up these days when they become adults. They will have no idea how to act or have any social skills in dealing with authority figures like an employer. Someone needs to take the parents of that young boy and horse whip them for not raising him better and not keeping him close. Even my mildly autistic 7 year old knows how to act around guns and shooting. Poor parenting over the course of the child's life is what caused this incident, pure and simple.

Best wishes,

Joe

Linstrum
10-30-2012, 09:01 AM
I have a .50 BMG rifle with a looong 60-inch barrel that I mounted as a canon on a wheeled carriage. There is no mistaking what it is, it looks like a canon. About three years ago I was at my local unsupervised shooting range and all set up to fire at a cliff face about 2 miles away using a tracer round. I had started to pull the lanyard and felt the trigger creeping when a ~16 year old kid on an ATV with his girlfriend on the back suddenly pulled up right in front of the muzzle. The guy reached out and touched the end of the muzzle, looked down it, and then drove off like nothing had happened, leaving me standing there shaking so bad I had a hard time staying upright from almost turning his head into some pink vapor. I have no idea what he thought, he probably had in mind what he and his girlfriend were about to do way out in the brush and it just didn't register that he was looking down the barrel of a really BIG rifle. It occurred to me later that I should have fired as soon as he was safely out of the way in order to get his attention and make him think about what he had just done. Good example of "Darwin" at work!

rl 1,148

Pertsev
10-30-2012, 09:19 AM
Boer Rancher said it right.
When we took our son to range for first time many years ago(6yrs old),first thing I did was have a talk with him.Told him what a gun does. Very basic. The gave him an orange to hold. Had him squeeze the orange,then squeeze his arm.Then placed orange about 20 ft away and shot it with a .22 Hollow point from a rifle. He understood do NOT walk in front of muzzle !We had a fine time shooting .22 rifles then packed it in.This was at a private range.
After that he was always closely supervised when out to range until about age 12. Never had any problems with him.
It is not only young children who wander out in front of the line . Have had a couple of so called adults do the same thing.One got quite upset when I stopped firing and asked "what the hell are you doing ?"Guy started walking downrange to place a target while myself and an other guy were shooting. The idiot thought it was OK because we were not shooting directly at him. This man was in his 30's. Trusting soul !

Baron von Trollwhack
10-30-2012, 09:42 AM
I grew up on a rifle range. When I was a toddler mom and dad kept me on a really short leash. By the time I was 4 or 5 I knew better than to be anywhere near the firing line, or to touch anyone's gun with out asking for permission from the owner and having them clear it first to make sure it was not loaded. If they wouldn't clear it for me I didn't touch it. Period.

Parents don't parent anymore. I feel sorry for most kids growing up these days when they become adults. They will have no idea how to act or have any social skills in dealing with authority figures like an employer. Someone needs to take the parents of that young boy and horse whip them for not raising him better and not keeping him close. Even my mildly autistic 7 year old knows how to act around guns and shooting. Poor parenting over the course of the child's life is what caused this incident, pure and simple.

Best wishes,

Joe

Without a doubt the answer is RIGHT HERE. The general touchy-feely after the accident does NOTHING.

BvT

btroj
10-30-2012, 10:23 AM
What Boerrachner said is my idea of a short leash. Kids should not be running amuck. They should know what is, and isn't, acceptable behavior. Failures to obey must be dealt with harshly.

As for touchy, feely, that isn't my style at all. I feel bad for the kid. I hope this is used as a tool to reinforce gun safety. Just because it hasn't happened at our range doesn't mean it can't. Vigilance is the word.

Brad Phillips
10-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Just on the local news, apparently shot by his five year old sister.

LUCKYDAWG13
10-30-2012, 07:13 PM
Prayers sent i hope the little guys ok

runfiverun
10-30-2012, 08:28 PM
i hope his sister is okay.
her trauma wil not be showing...

leadman
10-31-2012, 12:47 AM
One day at our local public range a couple came with 3 or 4 kids all under 5 probably. The parents had bought an old Astra 9mm that was jamming. I looked over and it was pointed right at me!
I hollered for the RSO who I knew and he came right over. We got the kids off the line, some hearing protection, the gun cleaned and lubed, and the RSO said some very stern words to the folks. A couple of the kids had been picking up brass in front of the benches during live fire!

We had a private range for awhile and a guy that loaded ammo and tested guns for a major firearms manufacturer here in Phoenix would run down to his target when the range was hot. Don't understand that since all he had to say was go cold and we would stop firing.

Hope the young boy is going to be ok and the sister gets the help she may need.

x101airborne
10-31-2012, 08:18 AM
Boer Rancher said it right.
When we took our son to range for first time many years ago(6yrs old),first thing I did was have a talk with him.Told him what a gun does. Very basic. The gave him an orange to hold. Had him squeeze the orange,then squeeze his arm.Then placed orange about 20 ft away and shot it with a .22 Hollow point from a rifle. He understood do NOT walk in front of muzzle !

I did something similar. When my boy wanted to start shooting, I had him get his favorite toy. Some kind of soldier toy. We set it up at 15 yards and I let it have a load of 12 gauge. He was upset, of course. But he asked me what I wanted to hear. "Can we fix it?" "No. What is done is done and we cannot undo it." We shot that day and I went to WalMart and bought him another right away. I have never had to remind him about where he is pointing a weapon and what is behind it. If that is one rule he remembers, that is a start.

But like Boerrancher implied. I am a PARENT. Not a FRIEND and it is MY responsibility to act accordingly.

gbrown
10-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Our thoughts and prayers are with the little boy and a swift and complete recovery. Also, prayers for the family to recover from the guilt and trauma of what happened. As former PO and military, there was not a position at the ranges that I was not assigned to multple times during 38 years. The only thing I can add to this is that there is no such thing as too much safety. Even behind the firing line, riccochets have hurt people. There are plenty of internet videos of weird things happening on the firing line.

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhXtdylBCWc

That's from an iron plate, .57 miles away.

popper
10-31-2012, 04:18 PM
And my wife of 44 yrs wonders why I don't let her in the gun safe. Last time she picked up the pistol, waved it around without checking to see if it is loaded or anything. It's going to get worse as more undisciplined people get guns to 'protect' themselves.

Wayne Smith
10-31-2012, 09:01 PM
We raised two boys. Always went to public ranges, not enough property otherwise. Only took one of them at a time, and when I did I did no shooting. My full attention was on him and what I was teaching him. This was at 5 years old with my Ruger Single Six. Only after they were older did I take them to the range to shoot on their own. By the time they were six they knew the range rules and the reasons for them.

Some parent didn't bother to parent!

Shiloh
11-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Wow I have a habit of taking extreme care when kids are around ( parking lots etc.) but I can see this happening real easy when your concentrating on the sights and target.

Wish them both the best.

Children are welcome at the range, but must be under control and supervision at all times. If not, they are welcome back when they get older and can understand and obey commands at all times with NO exceptions.

Shiloh

eric123
11-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Prayers sent for the little guy...