PDA

View Full Version : Some people's kids...

Phineas Bluster
10-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Deleted

wgr
10-29-2012, 08:59 PM
Yes they did

44fanatic
10-29-2012, 09:40 PM
I can imagine that a Commander somewhere wanted his troops out of the wind and the worst of the weather...as for the troops, they will have choosen to stand their post...just my thoughts.

colt 357
10-29-2012, 09:43 PM
I bet that soilder is a volunteer

Love Life
10-29-2012, 10:00 PM
God bless them.

Jammer Six
10-29-2012, 10:24 PM
The 3rd Infantry has a long history of never leaving the tombs unguarded. The tomb badge is one of only two badges that can be rescinded.

The tomb guards are all volunteers and compete for the assignment.

That the tombs were guarded through a hurricane doesn't surprise me in the least.

10-29-2012, 10:33 PM
The guards are a very elite and well disciplined group, live an extremely structured life, and guard the tomb 24/7, regardless the weather. They have my utmost respect.

A few years ago, a local boy made good and qualified to be a guard.

Boerrancher
10-31-2012, 08:39 AM
I have known and served with several former Tomb Walkers. A couple of them I knew before they became such. I have the utmost respect for them, not only for what they do, but what they give up. Every Tomb Walker I have ever met post assignment is different than they were before they became a guard. Literally a part of them seems to die and disappear, and they go through the rest of their career with a haunted look in their eyes, and they are never the same as they were before.

It takes a special person to take up that job, and though many apply very few make it. You have a better chance of getting in to Special Forces than you do becoming a Guard of the Unknowns. I know I don't have what it takes but I am glad that there are a few who do and are willing to give up so much to do the job. If you ever get a chance to get to know one of these men and spend some time talking to them you will see and understand what I am talking about.

Best wishes,

Joe

popper
10-31-2012, 04:33 PM
Surprised that BO didn't order them to stand down.

“The information I heard today was that General [Carter] Ham as head of Africom received the same e-mails the White House received requesting help/support as the attack was taking place. General Ham immediately had a rapid response unit ready and communicated to the Pentagon that he had a unit ready. General Ham then received the order to stand down. His response was to screw it, he was going to help anyhow. Within 30 seconds to a minute after making the move to respond, his second in command apprehended General Ham and told him that he was now relieved of his command.”

Rick N Bama
10-31-2012, 09:12 PM
Surprised that BO didn't order them to stand down.

I'm going to give him just a bit of credit for being smart enough to know that he has best not do that. Then again, maybe he just forgot to issue the order:)

Rick

farmallcrew
11-01-2012, 04:44 AM
Saw those pics flying around on facebook. Everyon commented on the picture and it put a sence of Patriotism and a sence of security for our Service Men and Women