PDA

View Full Version : Looking for recommendations on mould for 505 Gibbs

SilverBow
10-29-2012, 04:19 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm starting the wonderful process of loading up some rounds for my new-to-me 505 Gibbs. I've got the brass and dies, but need some bullets, and thought I'd reach out to find some recommendations for moulds that would be appropriate.

My primary use for the bullets is to load some light rounds (think Trailboss or SR4759 at ~1500fps) and then work up to full power loads as I become used to the recoil. I'd eventually like to use the rifle to hunt non-dangerous game in North America (think moose and bison), so a cast bullet that could also work as a good practice and hunting bullet would be ideal. I think for this, I'll need to look at a GC design.

Factory moulds for .505 (cast at .508+) seem to be few-and-far between, but there are a number of custom mould makers that produce this caliber. However, I really don't know where to start or what to look for, so some advice or recommendation for a particular mould/design would be really appreciated.

Is there enough variation in 505 chambers that I should be concerned that a bullet that fits one rifle may not work in mine? Would it be worth the trouble to cast the chamber and start from there?

BTW, if it helps, the 505 Gibbs is a bolt action Ruger RSM with internal box magazine.

Thanks!

Bullshop
10-29-2012, 07:11 PM
We have an NEI mold for the 505 Gibbs. Its a 600gn round nose gas check design.
I have loaded it for customers and it works quite well.
If I am remembering correctly I use a suggested starting load of 110gn H4831 for about 2200 fps. I would have to look that up to be sure.

tonyjones
10-29-2012, 10:22 PM
I suggest that you make a pound/throat swage out of pure lead and send it to Veral at LBT or Tom at Accurate Molds with a note describing what you're looking for.

600 grains at 2,200 fps...... arraugh!

Regards,

TJ

rockrat
10-29-2012, 11:38 PM
Tom at Accurate has a 600gr design that casts at .513". I am sure he could make you one to cast at a bit smaller size. Just look at his online catalog