PDA

View Full Version : Side mount or top mount receiver sight for 336?

FergusonTO35
10-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Ok, 'nother Marlin question. Today I'm going to buy a Williams receiver sight from another forum member for my Marlin 336. He has both types: the 5D-94/36 which mounts on the side and the 5D-336 which uses the two rear most scope mount holes on top of the receiver. They are both the same price. My 336 has threaded holes on top and on the side. Does one tend to work better than the other?

pietro
10-29-2012, 03:15 PM
I would suggest going with the side mount (5D-94/336), since your rifle has the side mount prep.

Both carry the horizontal peep bar low, just off the top of the receiver (allowing zeroing with the issue height front sight) - but since the one that utilizes the top scope mount holes (5D-336) carries that bar behind the base, the horizontal bar is ergo further to the rear, almost over the hammer, which manipulation may be problematic for some folks.

BTW - Please don't forget to remove the rear bbl open/iron sight for a clear/clean sight picture, replacing it with a slot filler blank, either bought or filed up from the dovetail portion of an old longleaf rear bbl sight.

http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/bth_DSCN0461.jpg http://i354.photobucket.com/albums/r431/pwawryk/bth_DSCN0466.jpg

FergusonTO35
10-29-2012, 04:26 PM
Sounds good, I didn't know the top mount one protruded that far back.

FergusonTO35
10-30-2012, 09:52 AM
I ended up going with the 5D-336. It fits my rifle great, and seems a bit more sturdy than the side mount versions. It places the rear of the aperture just a little bit behind the top of the receiver closer to your eye, which I like. I can see how it would hang out pretty far on the 1894 with its smaller receiver. I also got a slot blank to fill the rear dovetail. The new sight looks and feels great, way better than the old fuzzysquintimprecise factory sights. Of course, its raining like cats and dogs down here so who knows when I'll be able to try it out...

Jack Stanley
10-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Why Ferguson .... you can try it out today . Stand in a place where the rain won't hit you in the eyes while looking up . Then ........ just lead the cats a little on the way down ;-)

:kidding:Jack

FergusonTO35
10-30-2012, 12:59 PM
You're right, I need to quit being such a fair weather rifleman.:-)