PDA

View Full Version : H.M.S. Bounty is down.........

WILCO
10-29-2012, 10:59 AM
14 rescued, 2 missing from HMS Bounty off N.C. coast

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/29/14775512-14-rescued-2-missing-from-hms-bounty-off-nc-coast?lite

Mumblypeg
10-29-2012, 11:19 AM
Sad to see such great things lost.

dragonrider
10-29-2012, 11:35 AM
I hope they find the two missing men.

bowfin
10-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Let's hope it was a bad head count or they turn up somewhere.

I don't know if that ship was in the area being affected by Tropical Storm Sandy, but it might have been better to have left it tied up to the dock somewhere, if such were the case.

FISH4BUGS
10-29-2012, 11:39 AM
I chair a non-profit that hosts Tall Ships (www.sailportsmouth.org) and we have hosted the Bounty on three occasions over the last fifteen years. They have been a great part of our Tall Ships events over the years.
After its restoration about three years ago, it again became a truly beautiful vessel. The captain and crew were always the best. The new owners put a ton of money into it refitting and restoring this tall ship.
This is truly sad. A magnificent vessel and now it is gone forever.

L1A1Rocker
10-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Why was it there? Should it not have been moved a while ago?

41 mag fan
10-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Let's hope it was a bad head count or they turn up somewhere.

I don't know if that ship was in the area being affected by Tropical Storm Sandy, but it might have been better to have left it tied up to the dock somewhere, if such were the case.

The tropical storm is a Hurricane of the category 1 type. 1000 mi across.

10 ga
10-29-2012, 01:50 PM
The OBX, sailing ships and northeasters/hurricanes have been a recipe for death and disaster for centuries. Part of the "old home place" on the Eastern Shore of VA was built out of timbers and wood salvaged from hurricane/northeaster wrecks from the early 1800s. Wrecking and salvage was a way of life for many on the coast. I am saddened mostly by the loss of crew members. If ya gots the $ ya can build a new ship. Hunkered down and guess power be out here soon. All stay safe, 10 ga

X lead

rbertalotto
10-29-2012, 02:16 PM
A couple of huge cruise ships left port last night to ride right through this monster. Can you imagine being on a cruise ship in this storm! And paying for the privilege!

Lowest pressure they ever recorded............we are hitting 80mph here at the entrance to Cape Cod.........blowing like hell right now!

starmac
10-29-2012, 03:46 PM
I hope they find the two missing men.

Yep this is the important part, I doubt their chances are good though.

The ship is a replica, another can be built.

snuffy
10-29-2012, 04:04 PM
Fox snews reported from a CG copter that rescued the crew members that the ship had lost steerage.

I know little to nothing about sailing, but isn't it important to keep heading into the waves? They reported they had water coming in over the sides.

Isn't it better to ride it out at sea, rather than have it bashed to pieces against a pier or dock?

popper
10-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Tough sailing a tall ship around Hatteras in a storm. I'd thought of heading for Portsmouth FAST. They had almost a week to figure it out. Lost steerage? Bad juju. Can only drag a sea anchor to keep it into the swell.

starmac
10-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Isn't it better to ride it out at sea, rather than have it bashed to pieces against a pier or dock?

Aces an Eights
10-30-2012, 01:58 AM
What a tragic loss, I hope the sailors are found ok.

I took this picture around the turn of the century (1999/2000 that is) of the Endeavour coming into Sydney Harbour, the (Mel Gibson/Anthony Hopkins) Bounty and a flotilla of sail boats welcomed her in, quite a sight to see. I think that version of the Bounty is in Hong Kong now.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=584&pictureid=5897

Mk42gunner
10-30-2012, 02:24 AM
I saw on the NBC Nightly news that the Coast Guard had recovered one of the remaining two crewmembers and was transporting her to a hospital.

It didn't sound good, they were reporting her as unresponsive.

Regardless of if the ship should have sailed earlier or stayed in port; I am impressed by the USCG personnel. I have ridden out quite a few typhoons while underway; no way would I want to intentionally jump into that water.

Robert

Lloyd Smale
10-30-2012, 05:40 AM
I dont know if it was wize to put to sea in a ship that small vs staying in protected waters but i do know that when a big storm would hit the VA area norfolk naval station would about empty out as the modern ships did much better underway in a real storm then tied up.
Fox snews reported from a CG copter that rescued the crew members that the ship had lost steerage.

I know little to nothing about sailing, but isn't it important to keep heading into the waves? They reported they had water coming in over the sides.

Jim
10-30-2012, 07:29 AM

If the rudder stem snaps from radial thrust, steerage is lost. At that point, the ship will broach and turn sideways to the seas and high winds. Once that happens, it's just a matter of time.

Wayne Smith
10-30-2012, 09:55 AM
They were already out to sea. The storm is so big I doubt they had many choices. Turn tail and run back to Boston, maybe. Even Bermuda would have been tacking against the storm.

popper
10-31-2012, 05:03 PM
Actually a sea anchor or drogue chute is used to keep her into the wind. She was scheduled for a party in Florida, probably entered into the decision NOT to put into the Portsmouth (Norfolk - Hampton Road) or Charleston. Did they close the chunnel under the Chesapeake? Springers usually can't be adjusted fast enough on the large ships for a swell tide, they typically have near empty oil tanks and are riding high. So out they go if they can muster enough crew. Only a few enjoy those +/- 60 deg. rolls at sea. Amen to the job the CG does.

EdZ KG6UTS
11-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Tough sailing a tall ship around Hatteras in a storm. .

Wasn't the original 'Pride of Baltimore' lost in the same area?? Oh and the schooner from Maine back in the '80s?

EdZ KG6UTS