PDA

View Full Version : Headed into the storm!

olaf455
10-29-2012, 09:02 AM
I am a catastrophe insurance adjuster, and have been deployed to Hurricane Sandy.
I have seen first hand on several occasions the immense amount of damage these storms can cause.
If you or someone you know live in the path of this monster, please do not be there when it hits.
Prayers requested for the people that live in the area as well as the people who are headed to the area to help out in the aftermath.

Four-Sixty
10-29-2012, 09:05 AM
I used to work for GEICO and took probably thousands of calls about the aftermath of these big storms.

Please beware of water on the roadway. If you enter water too deep you can get stuck. One of many reasons to get out before this one hits. If your car gets water up much past the hubcaps, especially when there are tons of claims to handle, the insurance company is going to declare your car a total loss. You'll be out your deductible and have to buy a new car in a market where a lot of buyers are suddenly going to be looking for a new car. You will really 'pay' for your poor choice to stay!

olaf455
10-29-2012, 04:21 PM
Just a reminder, your homeowners insurance policy does not cover floodwater entering from outside.

JeffinNZ
10-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Just a reminder, your homeowners insurance policy does not cover floodwater entering from outside.

Where else does flood water come from?

cdet69
10-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Good point Jeff. Don't you just love the small print.

RayinNH
10-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Maybe a burst pipe? A pipe that bursts an hour after you left for a two week vacation...Ray

JeffinNZ
10-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Good point Jeff. Don't you just love the small print.

Yes. After the initial BIG quake last Feb if you listened REAL hard in our city you could hear insurance companies ducking for cover.:mad:

SciFiJim
10-29-2012, 11:37 PM
A pipe that bursts an hour after you left for a two week vacation

I had it happen. The cold water hose to the kitchen sink gave out while my family and I were away on a three day weekend. Came home to water running out under the front door and an inch of water in about half the house. We wound up with new linoleum in the kitchen and new carpet in most of the house. Luckily it didn't get into the dry wall.