PDA

View Full Version : brass by the pound, whats it worth?

number7tn
10-28-2012, 06:17 AM
first i didnt really know where to post this so if its in the wrong place maybe a mod could move it to the right place.

yesterday my momma took some scrap aluminum and other stuff to the scrapper. while she was there she saw a 55gallon barrell full of brass and ask about it.
they said it was from where the members of a range/club brought in , it is a veteran/nat. guard range i think. anyway he said he would sell it by the pound and i could go thru it and get what i wanted. said he would make me a deal.

so what do you think a deal would be , i know it depends on the brass itself a lot and i am sure the primers are still in the cases whitch dont weigh much but could add up, , and it depends on what i wanna keep myself and what i wanna sell/trade (more than likley it will be here if i sell , trade , give away any)

so without knowing exactly what is there , just assuming it is all good reloadable brass what would be a fair price to give for it ,

thanks for any replies.
hope everyone has a great day
GOD BLESS
Darrell

Balta
10-28-2012, 08:56 AM
In Europe most ranges sold rqnge brass for 5 euro por kilogram , thats about 3 Usd / lbs
Hope this helps

D Crockett
10-28-2012, 09:09 AM
if the price is right I would be interstedin some 45 , 44 , 223 , and 30/30 brass and I do like to trade D Crockett

rmatchell
10-28-2012, 09:16 AM
I pay anywhere from 1.50 to 1.80 a pound here depending on the scrap yard

geezer56
10-28-2012, 11:12 AM
I recently sold some scrap, split neck, crushed, rimfire, etc; brass. I had accumulated 35 lbs, it sold for 1.79 per pound to the scrapper. I pretty sure he sells it for around $3 per lb, didn't bother to ask since he doesn't get a lot of cartridge brass in and doesn't keep it long.

tomme boy
10-28-2012, 12:57 PM
Our local is paying $2/lb. Look up Yellow brass on the stock market metals and see what it is at. That is what you are more than likely going to pay.

runfiverun
10-28-2012, 01:06 PM
try this.
go weigh a pound of 308/38 specal/45 acp brass then count it.
now decide if that many cases is worth the 3 bucks he wants.
remember that barell of brass might not be all good brass, and you'll have to dig through a ton of 40S&W and 9m to get to the other stuff.

number7tn
10-28-2012, 06:39 PM
thanks for the replies , i appriciate it. it will be middle to last of this week before i get to see him about it. if he says something like 2.50 to 3.50 a pound would any of you give that? if i do buy any im gonna go for rifle brass first and maybe the higher doller pistol brass if i can find any.
most of the range pick up i have found around here has been 9mm , 223 , and mostly the ground is covered with 22lr and steel cases.
maybe this will be diffrent, if good enuff deal atleast it will give me something to do lol. im gonna take a few 5 gal buckets and a couple of helpers with me.

i figure if i can use some and if i get some youall can use it will beat it going for scrap.

anyway thanks again to all for the replies.
GOD BLESS
Darrell

number7tn
11-08-2012, 08:48 AM
just an update, i did buy a few pounds, he let me bring it home and go thru it and bring back what i dont need and he will give same price back for it as i payed.

i found probably less than 200 pieces i can use / what i reload. but they is some 223 and 40 i am going thru and soaking in citric acid and tumbling i will prob get rid of.

D Crockett i will sure keep you in mind, but the way things are going i dont know when ill have any ready, i do like to trade but if things keep on the way they are i might just try and sell some. i will say if i sell any im not gonna make much if any profit on it, but maybe it will help a member here out and be better than it going for scrap.

anyway thanks again for the replys.
hope everyone has a great day.
GOD BLESS
Darrell

garym1a2
11-08-2012, 01:30 PM
If its from the guard its probally 9mm/556/308 and a bit of it from machine guns. Scope out some of it before buying.

thanks for the replies , i appriciate it. it will be middle to last of this week before i get to see him about it. if he says something like 2.50 to 3.50 a pound would any of you give that? if i do buy any im gonna go for rifle brass first and maybe the higher doller pistol brass if i can find any.
most of the range pick up i have found around here has been 9mm , 223 , and mostly the ground is covered with 22lr and steel cases.
maybe this will be diffrent, if good enuff deal atleast it will give me something to do lol. im gonna take a few 5 gal buckets and a couple of helpers with me.

i figure if i can use some and if i get some youall can use it will beat it going for scrap.

anyway thanks again to all for the replies.
GOD BLESS
Darrell

dnmccoy
11-08-2012, 02:21 PM
I get $1.40 a lb here for scrap brass...what little I can find anymore

jimb16
11-08-2012, 04:19 PM
$1.35 here....

429421Cowboy
11-09-2012, 12:55 PM
$1.80 last time i went in. Remember, once you pull the primers out of those cases, they are brass and can go right back to the scrapper with any other scrap brass you have or find!

popper
11-09-2012, 02:01 PM
1# is about 50 pcs of rifle brass. You may need a military decapper/PP swager.

shooterg
11-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Why deprime to scrap ? My pa-in-law has gotten from $1.60 to $2.20 per lb. for the "junque" brass I give him, spent primers still in 'em.

jimb16
11-09-2012, 08:14 PM
I never deprime mine and they have no problem accepting them.

HighHook
11-10-2012, 06:16 AM
Yep, just toss the primers n brass in a bucket and turn it into cash.

nanuk
11-11-2012, 01:35 PM
pull the primers and reprime them

clean the brass and keep the good ones, sell the great ones, return the poor ones

You'll end up with FREE STUFF