PDA

View Full Version : Yard sale

GOPHER SLAYER
10-27-2012, 06:25 PM
I spent the last two days having a yard sale. We moved a year ago and we had lots of "stuff" in storage. I had many gun books and very old shooting and reloading magizines. Not one person even asked what I was asking for any of them. I did sell some wrenches and other tools but didn't get anything like what they were worth. They were all American made. I don't list gun books on this sight to sell because they are not worth the trouble plus expense of mailing. I think it will be my last yard sale.

imashooter2
10-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Our town has a community wide yard sale every September. The only firearms related items I've ever seen were on tables in front of my house. :(

WILCO
10-27-2012, 10:48 PM
I don't list gun books on this sight to sell because they are not worth the trouble plus expense of mailing.

Google some of your book titles to get an idea of value. Go from there.

x101airborne
10-27-2012, 11:07 PM
I would like some "vintage" shooting books and magazines.
I would pay you what they are worth plus shipping if you could pick me out some goodies.

Artful
10-28-2012, 01:53 AM
What is a "goodie"?

plmitch
10-28-2012, 02:01 AM
The is never enough gun books for sale on here. We always need more.

starmac
10-28-2012, 02:17 AM
There are yardsales here with firearms and related items (sometimes reloading items) but if they are priced reasonable they disappear fast.

The last auction I went ti, I bought a box of older firearms and gunsmithing books, cheap.
There was another large box full of trapping and fur handling and tanning books that I wanted, but it brought a pretty good price.

sthwestvictoria
10-28-2012, 02:20 AM
yesterday picked up the accurate rifle by Warren Page from 1973, Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading 3rd Ed from 1980 and the Australian Shooters Handbook from 1976.

All for the princely sum of $3.

Old books of course but still great for a read and some reference material.

jcwit
10-28-2012, 02:51 AM
What is considered "OLD". If you have magazines from the 40's, 50's, I may be interested in some. Even those like Sports Afield, and Outdoor Life.

imashooter2
10-28-2012, 08:01 AM
What is a "goodie"?

Something attractive or desirable. "I bought some new toys and carried the goodies home in a paper sack."

bonza
10-28-2012, 08:07 AM
The USPS Flat Rate boxes are a boon to people who want to ship heavy-for-value items like books & lead, you might want to look into that & list the book you want to sell here on the forum so we can share the knowledge!! I'd imagine you'd fit a good amount of magazines into one of the Medium or Large Flat Rate boxes, & if it fits it ships for a fixed amount.

imashooter2
10-28-2012, 08:09 AM
Media Mail will usually beat Priority Mail Flat Rate prices unless you are shipping a huge box full.

canyon-ghost
10-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Books on firearms are the American History they don't teach in school.

I'm reading Elmer Keith "Sixguns" and a couple of Jeff Cooper books this year. There's a lot of valuable, ignored information in those reprints.

I buy 'em, don't you?

troy_mclure
10-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Media Mail will usually beat Priority Mail Flat Rate prices unless you are shipping a huge box full.

I shipped just over 60lbs of paperback books(32"x30" box) for $22 via media mail.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-28-2012, 10:55 AM
I don't list gun books on this sight to sell because they are not worth the trouble plus expense of mailing. I think it will be my last yard sale.

I realize the hassle of packaging, driving to and fro and dealing with the post office,
But, the buyer will be paying the postage...and many of us here will gladly buy your books !
Case in point:
Last summer, a garage sale advertised guns and reloading equipment, powder and primers (they listed an address but no phone number). it was listed to open Thursday at 3pm. I took off work to be there at 3pm. Nearly all the stuff was sold.
He apologized saying he was getting phones calls constantly since Wednesday morning and told everyone come at Thursday at 3pm. well he finally got tired of the hassle and quit taking calls and opened up at Noon on thur. He said, one guy bought most everything in the first hour. There were LOTS of PO'ed people while I was there at 3PM. I did get a handfull of reloading manuals and a Mitutoyo 1" Mic. for $35, But all the powders and primers and the seven guns were sold in that first hour.
Jon

contender1
10-28-2012, 10:25 PM
I WISH I could find firearm related stuff in yard sales.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-29-2012, 07:17 PM
last auction that had guns was a few blocks over estate sale guns went for everything they were worth and then some at least in my opinion

a friend at work was garage sale found a stoger condor over and under at a garage sale near work called me i said buy it i will give you the cash he didn't have the 150 dollars they were asking for it , in the 10 minutes it took me to get there the guys brother in law showed up and marked up the price to 300 and went around and did the same on every deal he had
in the sale , not a thing sold after that