PDA

View Full Version : Marlins and remlins

starmac
10-27-2012, 01:45 AM
I am not up on the history f marlin, but like most firearms manufacturers I would imagine they have changed owners more than once in the marlin lifetime span.

I was just wondering if they had the same sort of growing pains and product bashing at other owner changes.

Jack Stanley
10-27-2012, 08:50 AM
I'm not a history buff of the company but I think there is a difference in this buy from the others . In this case the employees who knew or should know how to make the products work did not move to the new location of production .

Growing pains ? probably . Bashing ? I don't know .

Jack

Artful
10-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Most owner changes don't effect work force, but when you shut down the factory, move the tooling to a new location - leave the workers behind - put on workers who have never made the product or similar product, it tends to destroy the integrity of the product.

check out more about the specific complaints here

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/

You can always find examples of companies where one era is better than another
Smith and Wesson
High Standard
Dan Wesson

The problem is compounded when the problems are not addressed within the work force quickly and the customers are not satisfied with company responses.

357Mag
10-27-2012, 12:47 PM
StarM -

Howdy !

IMHO.....
the last of the CT-made Marlins, represented the zenith of lever rifle development

It'll be a LONG time, before the quality, accuracy, and value of those guns;
is rivaled by another product.

The old saw is... go out, while you're still on top.
Marlin's CT employees certainly did that.

Regards,
357Mag

starmac
10-27-2012, 02:01 PM
I am not sure about their quality and accuracy being rivaled by another company.
Just reading on here there are folks that prefer rossi, henry and others.
I myself own a marlin, a winchester and a savage as far as levers go, and in the past have owned others of the same brands. Each have their place, but I never personally considered marlins to have an edge above the others, except maybe price wise if I was wanting a new one.

I think with todays technology in cnc machinery marlins quality will in the end be determined by the final customers, if their sales suffers enough from the quality, then the quality will improve or they might could be discontinued completly, if the bucks is not there for cerebrus.

I doubt seriously that they were bought out, with the intention of doing away with, or producing a lessor quality product. It stands to reason that they were bought out to boost profits.

TXGunNut
10-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Bashing and growing pains, yes indeed! Same level of quality? Very subjective. I think they have the equipment and technical ability to build as good a rifle as you can buy today. I think the jury's still out on whether they're building that rifle yet. The ones I've seen were very plain but seem to have the appropriate level of fit and finish. I'd like to see better wood and a better finish on the wood but they don't seem to share that goal. Mechanically I can't say, I think they're better on average than the reports we're reading.
I think the new owners chose the best course to keep the company fiscally viable but the traditional enthusiasts will likely continue to be disappointed with the Remlins.

Kraschenbirn
10-27-2012, 02:32 PM
Actually, Marlin has been pretty stable so far as ownership. Originally founded in 1870 by John Marlin, it was acquired (through a bankruptcy sale) in 1924 by Frank Kenna, afterwhich, owneship remained in the Kenna family until the business name/product line were acquired by Remington in 2007. So far as stability of management, Marlin had a better record than most other major U.S. firearms manufacturers. I mean, think about how many times has S&W been flipped since it was first sold off by the Wesson family in 1964.

Bill