PDA

View Full Version : CCWs: What do you carry and what's your Rig?

Jeff82
10-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Since there are so many CCWs out there. Here's a follow-up poll. I'd be interested to know what your'e carrying, how you carry it, and why you chose that set-up.

Moonie
10-26-2012, 01:16 PM
I carry either a full size Taurus PT-1911 or RIA Compact 1911 in a Blackhawk Serpa when OC (90%) and a Minotaur M-TAC (10%)when Concealed.

I usually carry the compact as it is lighter, my Taurus is my BBQ gun, it has been cerakoted.

Roundnoser
10-26-2012, 01:28 PM
I carry a Sig 238 (380 Auto) in the summer months (easy to conceal with shorts and a t-shirt.) and a Glock 27 (40 SW) in the fall/winter/spring months (easier to conceal under a jacket...more "punch" to penetrate coats, jackets, etc).

19112TAP
10-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Dan Wesson Stainless full size 1911 .45acp with leather in the pants, Glock 19 in Blackhawk paddle holster or Smith&Wesson Bodyguard .38spl in my front pocket. I also use a CCW insulated Sigarms coat and leather CCW vest.

snuffy
10-26-2012, 02:14 PM
My "rig" is my right front pants pocket! If by rig you mean a holster.

The pistol is a Ruger LC-9, slightly bigger than a LCP, which is a .380. It nestles into my jeans pocket becoming nearly invisible. If I told somebody I was carrying, they would be hard pressed to see it. No imprinting.

ShooterAZ
10-26-2012, 02:21 PM
I carry a Kimber 1911 in a Galco concealment holster. It's usually under a light jacket, or shirt covering it. I chose that set up because it's both comfortable....and comforting to have by my side. I don't carry concealed often, but when I do it's a .45ACP.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Ruger LC9 , in either a Alabama holster company pocket holster or Kholster crescent moon IWB

If I need to tuck my shirt in it is in my pocket

if I am standing in front of 100 or more people speaking publicly or representing an organization it is in my pocket

if i am wearing a shirt that will cover tucked , it is IWB

but pocket is very hard to beat with a small gun for concealment , and you can have your hand on your gun and no one is the wiser

but be careful of pocket holsters in pockets that drop change in the seats of your car they are cut wrong , I did have my gun in holster slide out of a pair of pants like that , i was laying on my back on the floor not some thing i would do often but i was at home , I hear it slide out and hit the floor , I grabbed it slid it back in , those were the same pants that would drop coins if you sat in a low seat or laid down also , I only IWB with those pants now
your not likely to lay down unless your shopping for a bed or in the privacy of your home.

what ever you do choose , carry around the house for a few days or weeks even , getting used to it , when it feels completely normal go some place you are already used to, like to a store to get a few things or out to eat make sure were ever you go that you have already checked their door that they do not have a no guns sign in the door

always be on the look out for the sign in the door , if you can find a better place to do business they didn't respect you as a patron any way.

Love Life
10-26-2012, 03:12 PM
I carry an AT-4 rocket launcher. Stupid one shot heavy rocket launcher...

This poll combined with the last poll smells alot like data collection.

alrighty
10-26-2012, 03:21 PM
I carry a 1911 in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II most of the time.I will carry at times a S&W MP.40 in a Comp-Tac Infidel IWB or if clothing permits in a Raven Concealment Phantom rigged for OWB.I always carry extra mags in the Comp-Tac double clip on.Side note a left hand clip on mag holder fits perfectly in most trucks map pockets.I have also started using a vest to help with concealment.I have never been a fan of the tactical or photographers vests but I am starting to love this one.It doesn't seem out of place even on the hottest of days.Here is a link and great people to deal with.
http://concealedcarry.com/products/Tropic-Vest
I recently completed a three day class at Rangemaster's in Memphis Tn. and was very pleased with the results of this vest in both concealment and ease/speed of draw.

Boyscout
10-26-2012, 03:40 PM
I carry a S&W 642 38 spl with Hornaday Critical Defense loads in a De Santis Nemisis pocket holster. It conceals well with almost anything I wear. I would prefer a 1911 but the 642 is very convenient and I also like to be able to have my hand on it without giving it away. Dittos on the pocket change comment. I also carry one Bianchi speed strip. as it lays flat.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-26-2012, 03:52 PM

I would have agreed with you it does sound like data collection , but i no longer care

I hold 3 state certifications of firearms instruction and a concealed carry license they know who I am already. If I can encourage and help another law abiding citizen to safely carry concealed or open I will and I will enjoy the company.

Love Life
10-26-2012, 03:57 PM
I would have agreed with you it does sound like data collection , but i no longer care

I hold 3 state certifications of firearms instruction and a concealed carry license they know who I am already. If I can encourage and help another law abiding citizen to safely carry concealed or open I will and I will enjoy the company.

Good point. I am so documented I am pretty sure that any agency can find out what I had for lunch.

I switch between winter and summer. My rig is usually an el cheapo uncle mikes.

David2011
10-26-2012, 04:10 PM
I just had to get fingerprinted again today to renew a CHL permit. Third time for that plus an FFL and soon to apply for another FFL- they have plenty on me and it's all clean.

I've carried several. I started with a 1911 but it's hard to hide in warm or hot weather. In a Kydex paddle it works OK under a tropical shirt. Still, it's my preference in an ideal situation. The paddle really reduces the perceived weight. I bought a Kahr CW40 because it's so thin and easy to shoot but in an IWB holster it's still kind of thick so it stays in the safe until I find a better/thinner holster.

Currently, I usually carry a 5 shot .38 (really easy to hide in a front pocket in a soft holster) or a (don't think badly of me) Kel-Tec P-40 which is understandably no longer produced. At 12 oz. empty weight, it's a beast even with the weight of 9 rounds in the magazine. I've let several friends who were all IPSC shooters try it. Nobody wanted to fire more than 2 rounds. Only 2 fingers will fit on the grip as it's a double-stack magazine.

I like the Kel-Tec which has had the full "Fluff and Buff" applied to it for several reasons. It has functioned 100% reliably- never a failure to do anything right. It has a long, heavy but very smooth trigger pull and a very light hammer. You will never pull the trigger accidentally and it isn't going to go off from being dropped. In addition to the light internal hammer, it has a firing pin block. I like the 9+1 capacity of .40. It carries easily. I Parkerized the slide for rust resistance and it has a stainless clip that goes over the top of the pants and under the belt so it carries IWB without a holster. It's a little thicker than the Kahr but IMO is safer to put into a holster or waistband and overall, is the thinnest gun I have since it doesn't require a holster. The states where I travel regularly don't require that a gun be in a holster.

I've tried to carry a Glock 17 because it's easy to shoot and has a high capacity. The trigger makes me nervous when holstering and I am not as comfortable with the stopping power of a 9mm.

Where do I feel the least safe? Large parking lots, especially at night.

David

Jeff82
10-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Jeeze, Sorry for asking.

I'm not collecting data for anything other than my personal interest. For what its worth, I've got my CCW, had no idea how many other people had theirs, and am now interested in how they carry. What's wrong with that?

--Jeff

fishhawk
10-26-2012, 04:39 PM
No problem there Jeff I'm new to CCW also and I'm enjoying the threads so don't let the "paranoia" of some get to you.

white eagle
10-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Jeeze, Sorry for asking.

I'm not collecting data for anything other than my personal interest. For what its worth, I've got my CCW, had no idea how many other people had theirs, and am now interested in how they carry. What's wrong with that?

--Jeff
lot of paranoid people :groner:
don't like the thread don't answer:killingpc

fishhawk
10-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Right now Jeff I have a ultrastar 9mm DA I use a remora inside the belt carry holster. Been carrying to places I know are OK with CCW to get used to the idea it being legal after 150 years of it being wrong here.

boltons75
10-26-2012, 04:55 PM
I carry Rugers SR40c, in a Tommy Theis iwb holster, like crossbreeds. And I chose the gun because it's a Ruger and was the best fitting sub compact 40 for my hand. The holster took me awhile to find one I liked, that's a trial and error thing. It's all about comfort for you.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Boyscout
10-26-2012, 04:58 PM
I took avantage of Inidana's lifetime CCW permit; I got tired of the drill and expense every four years. They contracted out some private security firms to do the fingerprinting and more convenient locations than the county seats. I was even able to set up my appointment on line.

Jeff82
10-26-2012, 05:17 PM
Thanks guys!

Brad Phillips
10-26-2012, 05:33 PM
G17 in a cleveland holster. clevelandholster.com Like a crossbreed at half price.

For those who need a crossbreed look at crossbreedseconds.com, good prices on stuff for right handed folks using popular pistols.

GT27
10-26-2012, 05:58 PM
RIA commander 45acp(winter)ported, and polished/Polish P64 9 mak ported, and polished (summer)/and sometimes I carry a Feg AP 32ACP ported, and polished if going to a area of green alert status!I practice 2 times a week with all 3!Speer gold dots in all 3!! GT27

Dan Cash
10-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Really hot weather, Smith 642 in pocket or boot top. Did that for more than 20 years every day and was never "made," though some suspected. For outside work now it is a SAA .45 in a shoulder rig or Threepersons on my hip. If I am going to the big city, Fargo, Bismark or Williston, it is my Colt or Kimber 1911 in a Milt Sparks Versa-Max and the Smith 642. All the comments about pocket carry are spot on. If you can have your hand on it and are willing to use it, you have won the gunfight before it starts.

Wayne Smith
10-26-2012, 07:12 PM
I typically carry my Colt Agent in an old DeSantis IWB holster. Bought the holster used, replaced the snaps that hold it on my belt, and have used it for the past seven or so years that way. When I'm not carrying that it is a CZ82. I wear a vest at work with a pocket watch in the pocket and a chain through the button hole. I have several, typically wear one of the leather ones. The watch is the obvious excuse for the vest which conceals the weapon.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-26-2012, 08:17 PM
one more thing to note , if you plan to carry IWB buy pants a size large

a 36 becomes a 38

38 a 40 42 a 44 because your getting in your pants with your gun

horsesoldier
10-26-2012, 08:57 PM
glock 32 in a crossbreed supertuck iwb holster

jwhite
10-26-2012, 09:03 PM
SP101, 357 with 190gr RanchDog, Simply Rugged soudough, with inside waist band straps.

27judge
10-26-2012, 09:19 PM
I carry a kahr pm9 in a galco iwb holster.My permit is up in feb ( 4 year permit in MD)so im in the process of filling out the renew papers.Just received my milt sparks vm2 (after a 5 month wait) looking forward to rec. my fusion 45 auto in a few days (also a 5 month wait)which will be my new winter carry gun tks KEN

Kraschenbirn
10-26-2012, 09:46 PM
If I'm trying to be 'discreet' a 3" SP101, 357 Mag in an Uncle Mike's IWB. Not 'discreet' or wearing a jacket: 3" Lew Horton M24 S&W, .44 Spl. carried in an old Charlie Askins/Bianchi high-ride.

Bill

Charley
10-26-2012, 09:54 PM
Mostly carry a Para P-12, sometimes, depending on the occasion, a J frame S&W, or a Colt Mustang Pocketlite. All carried IWB in my own holsters.

gandydancer
10-26-2012, 10:03 PM
a pineapple. in a Burrell Bur--rell custom rig. GD

archmaker
10-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Taurus PT1911 on the right hip in a Galco holster or depending on the weather a Ruger SR9c same place.

Plan on replacing the 9 and going to Ultra Carry to be carried on the same side.

What I carry is dependent on the length of the shirt that I am wearing ;-D

imashooter2
10-26-2012, 10:34 PM
75% of the time it is a S&W 360 in a Mika pocket holster. The other 25% it is a S&W 64 in an old Safety Speed holster.

bob208
10-26-2012, 11:47 PM
for the first 30 years a ruger security-six 4" stainless with a bianichi holster. then i switched over to a browning hi-power in a bianichi iwb holster.

in warm weather i have carried a llama special in .32 acp. i have a cheap holster for it would like to get a bianichi iwb for it.

palmettosunshine
10-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Lately its been a CZ 75b. In jeans it goes IWB in a no name crossbreed style holster.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff1/palmettosunshine/IMG_20121027_112229.jpg

In normal work clothes its OWB in a pancake style holster. 99% of the time I also have the S&W M&P 340 in my pocket.

jp99
10-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Either a S&W 438 in .38 special in a Galco IWB holster or a HK P7 in either a Side Guard IWB leather holster, or a local made leather shoulder holster. Some days when I feel like it I grab the Walther P99 in a Side Guard OWB holster, but those days seem farther and farther apart now that I know how nice a J-Frame is to carry and how amazingly accurate and simple the P7 is if I want an auto.

Regards,

JP99

Ajax
10-28-2012, 10:33 AM
I carry a SCCY CPX-1 IWB. daily

Andy

imashooter2
10-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Ever see these threads on other boards and the guys show a picture of 3 guns, 9 magazines, 2 fixed blade knives, a folder, 2 flashlights and a cell phone as their "every day carry" gear?

Holy not a mark on it either, Batman!

john hayslip
10-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Full time carry ---KelTec 380 with a laser loaded with Hornady's Critical Defense load (the laser so maybe I can use it and not have to shoot) as I don't really want to have to use it - though I'm willing under the right (or wrong) circumstances--in a Galco pocket holster. No one has ever noticed that I've had it..

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
10-28-2012, 11:27 AM
LCP because it is nicely contained in a pocket holster and since I wear a suit everyday and an IWB holster isn't great when you have to tuck in your shirt, especially since I take my jacket off a lot, and I can't carry in some courthouses, so it's easier to take the LCP out of my pocket than to take some of the nicer IWBs out of my waist band. I keep an extra mag around (desk drawer, car console). I'd love to carry something a bit bigger (not necessarily caliber) because I have big paws for hands, but the LCP is so effortless to carry that it fits my needs perfectly. Though I am very interested in the Keltec PF9 largely for the fact that I load a lot more 9mm so I'd practice a lot more with something chambered in 9mm than I do with my current chambering of .380 auto. My brother has the LC9 and I was surprised to see how much larger it is than the LCP.

Beau Cassidy
10-28-2012, 12:37 PM
I currently carry a Glock 27 with a magazine extension in a Mitch Rosen holster. I am in the process of changing that over to either a Sig P229 DAK .357 sig or a HK P30 Version 1 LEM trigger for which I have a .357 sig barrel. I will be going with either DM Bullard or Milt Sparks leather.

Frosty Boolit
10-28-2012, 12:56 PM

no kiddin'. Do I have a ccw? Maybe I do maybe I don't.
What might I carry? maybe a handgun, probably in a holster? maybe a knife?

imashooter2
10-28-2012, 04:26 PM
no kiddin'. Do I have a ccw? Maybe I do maybe I don't.
What might I carry? maybe a handgun, probably in a holster? maybe a knife?

LOL! Data collection? Really?

If you have a CCW license the government already knows you have it and they're also pretty sure you have guns too. Loosen the tinfoil a little for cryin out loud.

Boerrancher
10-29-2012, 07:55 AM
Well my favorite carry piece is a Taurus PT-145 Millennium that I drop in my front pants pocket. I keep it loaded with 185gr hollow cavity bullets loaded hot and heavy. Sometimes if I want to switch it up I will pack the Springfield 1911-A1 with the same loads. The only difference is the Springfield goes in the small of my back. I don't use a holster with either. A shirt covers the 1911, and the Millennium looks like the corner of a cell phone or part of a key fob in a properly fitting pare of jeans or khakis.

IF I could find a comfortable way to carry it I would carry my Taurus Judge loaded with 3 rounds of #4 Buck of 410 and 2 rounds of 45LC. I think a face full of #4 buck would be a very good deterrent.

Wis. Tom
10-29-2012, 08:50 AM
I carry a LC9 in a Blackhawk holster in the small of my back, for summer, but switch to my 1911 1A in the winter, or if I'm going somewhere I don't want to be. Wife carries a LCP.

trooperdan
10-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Glock 36 in a R. Grizzle OWB holster. Wife likes her LC-9.

a.squibload
10-29-2012, 05:11 PM
Kahr PM40 in a Smartcarry. Shirt tucked in,
no vest required.

smokemjoe
10-29-2012, 06:11 PM
1911- 9 MM or 45, Front seat in car and truck. Like state tropper told , keep it where you can get fast. Better going to court then 6 people carrying you to grave yard. This was before we got this CCW, Guns still in place yet. Joe

fcvan
11-04-2012, 05:56 PM
For 20 years, I carried a 1911 in an uncle mikes pancake. I occasionally carry S&W M13 4" in a similar pancake. I started carrying a Glock 22C my wife gave me, and her dad gave me a Bianchi hip/cross draw style holster. I tried an uncle mikes kydex pancake and really liked it so I bought one like it for the 1911. I carried a J frame in a coat pocket, a PPK in an inside the waist band rig. The wife bought me a Taurus TCP 738. I carried that in my back pocket. The last gun she bought me was a Taurus 709 Slim, kind of a larger version of the TCP 738. I stitched up a belt slide holster using nylon belt webbing and it is working out quite well. I can run, tumble, do jumping jacks, and the weapon stays secure. There's a trick to getting out which is already a part of my practiced draw motion.

I used to think a concealed rig needed to be snug to the body. Long ago I figured out once you have a bulge you have a bulge. Dress for it. Light coat, zip up sweatshirt, you're covered. In warmer weather I tend to carry a smaller rig but still carry extra ammo. As the days get cooler I tend to carry the 1911 and extra mags. I practice draw drills with cover clothes both at the house and at the range. There are lots of neat carry rigs out there but they are worthless if you don't train with them.

Carrying is a habit and must be practiced to the point of instinct. The one thing I haven't seen anyone mention is storage. My brother bought me a pistol safe for the car for use when you are going somewhere and then have to go clean. I feel pretty confident that the locked box with cable, or box bolted to the floor board is secure enough when needed. Frank

softpoint
11-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Any variety, usually either a 3" Jframe or a xd .45.

a.squibload
11-05-2012, 01:58 AM
The one thing I haven't seen anyone mention is storage. My brother bought me a pistol safe for the car

Good point. I have a cable and lock but no box in the car. Depends on where
I'm going, if there's a Criminal Safezone sign I can put the lock through the
triggergaurd, keep the magazines with me. I'm usually back in a few minutes.
If it's a courthouse I have to leave everything (at one county the gaurds
complained about my AG Russel tweezers, seems those tiny things could be
used as a deadly weapon.:rolleyes:). Point being that the magazines, pocketknife,
even the slide of the pistol could be stolen if they know how to take it apart.
Maybe I should consider a box.

Beau Cassidy
11-05-2012, 09:55 PM
The one thing I haven't seen anyone mention is storage.

Just a wild guess here but maybe the thread isn't about storage?

Ickisrulz
11-05-2012, 10:58 PM
I started off with a Kimber Ultra Carry worn IWB. Now I'm enjoying a S&W 642 in my pocket. Much better IMO.