PDA

View Full Version : Loading issue

Rich22
10-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Loading up my first ever cast bullets today, 2 problems

1. Even though the round as measured with caliper is well within specs (.378 at case mouth .388 at bottom) it will not guage, lube perhaps?

2 I chamber a round which seems to chamber fine but there is a groove in the bullet approx 1/8 of an inch from the nose of the bullet all the way around that was not there before chambering and ejection. Round is 147gr RN of home cast(someone else) round OAL is 1.155 which works fine in the gun since I have tested rounds that long that were FMJ before.

Have to run to a vet appt now but if anyone has any ideas I will throw in more information later.

Appreciate it guys

Rich

454PB
10-26-2012, 11:39 AM
With this limited information, it sounds like you need to check the throat diameter.

Wayne Smith
10-26-2012, 11:43 AM
What gun? Sounds like you have a revolver with an abrupt shift from chamber to throat and that this is leaving a mark on the boolit. I would suggest that you shoot them and see what happens. The worst likely is a small ring left inside the chamber. I get this when I shoot my swaged full wadcutter bullets out of my 44Mag SBH.

runfiverun
10-26-2012, 12:32 PM
i'm guessing pistol not revolver.
i wouldn't worry about the nose scuffing the throat.
unless it's knocking them into the case,or keeping them from chambering.
if it's banging in there and it's causing lead to be displaced i'd rethink my oal and reduce the load
to offset the increase in pressure.

Rich22
10-26-2012, 04:03 PM
i'm guessing pistol not revolver.
i wouldn't worry about the nose scuffing the throat.
unless it's knocking them into the case,or keeping them from chambering.
if it's banging in there and it's causing lead to be displaced i'd rethink my oal and reduce the load
to offset the increase in pressure.

Exactly correct. Specifically Glock 26. I will run a couple more tonight and see if it repeats itself. I just have never seen anything like it and the OAL and crimp etc are well within what I have used before but again, never loaded cast.

Thanks

Rich

runfiverun
10-26-2012, 07:48 PM
cast is waaay different than plated or jaxketed.
you have to modify how you load them to make them work in your gun.

if we both have 45 acp's but i have 1911's and you have a glock or more specifically i have auto ordinance and you have a ruger.
thngs might be slightly different even if we are both using lyman 200 swc's.
things get even more difficult when we are using different brands of molds and even worse when one is a t/l design and one isn't.