PDA

View Full Version : not sizing?

big boar
10-25-2012, 10:14 PM
I've had some good fortune with a few good molds, mostly LBT and got out of the habbit of sizing bullets. I also wanted to get some practice loads that required the most basic loading. Cast, seat check(or not) tumble lube, load and fire. My question is do most of you guys take the time to size ALL your boolits or only the ones for serious target shooting. All replies welcome. Thanks for your help.

waco
10-25-2012, 10:21 PM
The only Boolits I have not sized have been some DEWC from an RCBS mold. Just tumble lubed and loaded.
All others get run through one of the Lyman 450's.

pastor
10-25-2012, 10:25 PM
I cast for 45acp, the mold i have drops boolets very close to what i want, however i always size every one, it is one area where i can control exactly what happens, i do it just for piece of mind if nothing else, just so i know they are all the same size and perfectly round, some dont size, and if that works for you then go for it, i think is worth the time

ipijohn
10-25-2012, 11:31 PM
I cast for 45acp, the mold i have drops boolets very close to what i want, however i always size every one, it is one area where i can control exactly what happens, i do it just for piece of mind if nothing else, just so i know they are all the same size and perfectly round, some dont size, and if that works for you then go for it, i think is worth the time

I am from the same camp as the Pastor. I size every one "just in case".

runfiverun
10-26-2012, 12:46 AM
there is only one boolit i use that doesn't go through a sizer.
and it isn't from a lee mold.

imashooter2
10-26-2012, 07:05 AM
I'm of the opinion that distorting a boolit twice is no improvement over distorting it once. Consistency comes from the mold, not from a sizing die.

Lube sizers are a convenient way to apply lube though...

Dan Cash
10-26-2012, 07:19 AM
The only bullet that I size is a 100 grainer intended for .32-20 when I use it in a 7.62x25 CZ52. The only reason to size it then is to keep the neck diameter small enough to fit the chamber. All other bullets are pan lubed and fired as cast. I do use a Lyman 450 to seat gas checks for a .30 bullet but the bullet is not sized.

If a bullet is not quite round, it will get that way when it goes down the barrel. Sizing it will make it round but not concentric and has yet to demonstrate any accuracy gain for me.

rbertalotto
10-26-2012, 08:30 AM
it is one area where i can control exactly what happens, i do it just for piece of mind if nothing else, just so i know they are all the same size and perfectly round, some dont size, and if that works for you then go for it, i think is worth the time

In agreement 100%.......I size everything I cast. It's such a simple procedure and I quite enjoy it.

captaint
10-26-2012, 08:40 AM
I do size everything I cast - if nothing else, they have to get lubed anyway, so the boolits go through the Star.
I have read, though, that unsized boolits are GENERALLY more accurate than sized boolits. I think it was Col. Harrison, not positive, though. enjoy Mike

44man
10-26-2012, 08:46 AM
I lube by hand with Felix and run them through a Lee die just to remove excess lube. The die might kiss the boolit at the parting line. I lap the dies to what I need.
It is indeed great to have a boolit cast at the right size.
Under size molds are a pain as are those too large, had one long ago that the GG's got wiped out if sized to the proper diameter. It started too small so I sent it back and they lapped it way too large.

Kraschenbirn
10-26-2012, 08:53 AM
For my autoloaders...45 ACP and 9mm...I size all my boolits to obtain reliable function. For my revolvers I use 45/45/10 and load 'as-cast' with one exception: .44s for my S&W M24 where the cylinder throats are too tight to accept the .432s I shoot in my Ruger Vaquero.

Bill

williamwaco
10-26-2012, 09:36 AM
I shoot mainly handgun.
I size EVERYTHING.

Not because of any theory of anything.

Because in my experience, with unsized bullets including Lee TL bullets, at least one in 10 will be too fat to chamber.

Maybe I just have thick brass but not sizing is much more trouble than sizing.

40Super
10-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Same here ^^^^. I used to shoot as dropped on several when I pan lubed, but I got tired of those jamming bullets in every batch, plus I switched to lubrisizer to lube them all so I just started getting molds that drop a thou or two big, then size down to the size I want, better control for keeping all bullets the same size.

youngda9
10-26-2012, 11:10 AM
I have one die that drops just what I want so there is no need to size. Why waste time sizing if it's right on anyways.

mpmarty
10-26-2012, 12:46 PM
I size all my boolits when I shoot them down the barrel. Trying to size them before loading into cases doesn't make sense to me. I tumble lube with 50/50 have no leading and great accuracy if I do my part correctly.

XWrench3
10-26-2012, 02:43 PM
i size most of my boolits. 1) so they do not jam from being to large, and 2 because some of them i shoot at considerable pressure, and honestly, i do not know if to fat of a boolit will cause a pressure spike, and i certainly do not want to find out the HARD way! it makes sense that it would, and my hands, eyes, etc. are to important to take that kind of chance. the rest i size so the lube grooves fill nicely. i do have 2 boolits that i do not size. and i run both of those at plinking levels only. i have had a few give me trouble feeding, so out they come. i will most likely buy sizing die for at least one of those two at some point. i just have other things that demand my limited resources right now.

chris in va
10-26-2012, 04:23 PM
I *must* size my 9mm otherwise it won't fit.

big boar
10-26-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the input, it looks as it a lot of pistol/revolver shooters size all the time. I should have stated that I'm shooting rifles. As with a lot of other guys accuracy is "usually" very good to wow. Every once in awhile though the accuracy is not so good. Just looking for the culprits. Again, thanks for all the help.

sig2009
10-26-2012, 07:09 PM
If you want accuracy then you have to size them.