PDA

View Full Version : Peach Brandy

Junior1942
10-25-2012, 08:38 AM
I like to sip cognac or brandy around a campfire in winter. I like a good peach brandy. I bought a fifth of Leroux, and it tastes awful. It's like semi-peach flavored rubbing alcohol. Yuck! Anyone have a brand suggestion? I guess my mother's homemade peach brandy ruined me. She made it from peach peelings, and it was delicious. In years past I would buy 1/2 pints of a forgotten brand, and it was delicious. Help!!

Calamity Jake
10-25-2012, 08:59 AM
Hirum Walker makes a good peach brandy

3006guns
10-25-2012, 09:06 AM
My mother used to make various liquers by soaking fruits in cheap vodka and they were quite tasty. The odd thing was that she was a Baptist and wouldn't touch the stuff...just wanted to see if she could make it!

Love Life
10-25-2012, 10:38 AM
I saw peach brandy and thought about Georgia moonshine. It is good for what ails ya.

Moonie
10-25-2012, 12:34 PM
My mother used to make various liquers by soaking fruits in cheap vodka and they were quite tasty. The odd thing was that she was a Baptist and wouldn't touch the stuff...just wanted to see if she could make it!

I'm diabetic and I come from a family of alcoholics, I don't drink, might take a sip every now and then to taste. I do however make beer, wine and mead. For others to enjoy and just because I can.

FISH4BUGS
10-25-2012, 12:51 PM
I was given a bottle of Barrington (NH) Apple Moonshine. You could smell the apples in it. I tilled the garden out of lawn one spring day, and by the time I was done, I was one hurtin' puppy. I thought it was time to try a glass as celebration for getting the garden done. After the third glass (maybe 6 ounces) amazing things happened - my muscles were not as sore as before.
There is nothing like good home made adult beverages. I would like to try to make Peach Brandy - thanks for the idea. What a great winter drink to have when you are sitting around the wood stove!

bob208
10-25-2012, 01:24 PM
i am diabetic too. i find that if i take a drink of wine or brandy my suger goes dow. just a small amount after that the suger go the other way.

Junior1942
10-25-2012, 03:08 PM
I was given a bottle of Barrington (NH) Apple Moonshine. You could smell the apples in it. I tilled the garden out of lawn one spring day, and by the time I was done, I was one hurtin' puppy. I thought it was time to try a glass as celebration for getting the garden done. After the third glass (maybe 6 ounces) amazing things happened - my muscles were not as sore as before.
There is nothing like good home made adult beverages. I would like to try to make Peach Brandy - thanks for the idea. What a great winter drink to have when you are sitting around the wood stove!If you make it and it's good, let us know how you did it, please. All I know about my mother's is that she put peach peelings and water in a crock and let it ferment. I was too young to get more than a taste.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-25-2012, 03:19 PM
I make my own country style wines and beers, I like most of them.

BUT, the only liquor I've made, that tasted good was "44 Orange"
I used good quality vodka to make this, instead of everclear.
http://www.instructables.com/id/44-Orange-Liqueur-Recipe/?ALLSTEPS

I have a hard time drinking anything commerically made.

Silvercreek Farmer
10-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Doesn't really help, but a lot of what gets called homemade peach "brandy" is actually peach wine, perhaps with some store bought brandy added to fortify it. If that peach wine was run through a still, then it would be peach brandy, but I don't think it would retain much peach flavor unless some peach wine or fresh peaches were added back to it. Confused yet?

**oneshot**
10-25-2012, 04:23 PM
http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1057550

http://www.drinkupny.com/Dutch_s_Spirits_Peach_Brandy_p/s1196.htm

Try either of these, the second being my choice for a hearty smooth sip.

Junior1942
10-25-2012, 04:57 PM
I make my own country style wines and beers, I like most of them.

BUT, the only liquor I've made, that tasted good was "44 Orange"
I used good quality vodka to make this, instead of everclear.
http://www.instructables.com/id/44-Orange-Liqueur-Recipe/?ALLSTEPS

I have a hard time drinking anything commerically made.After reading that, I suspect a fellow could add a quartered peach and a 1/2 cup of sugar to a liter of E & J Brandy and make a good peach brandy.

Junior1942
10-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Junior,
Have you ever seen peach cider for sale? I bought some in Virginia, and think it would be an excellent basis for your "brandy". The stuff I have is pretty sweet, and almost like drinking a peach.It's about 50 miles from me to a good liquor store. I special order things at the store here, and on delivery the clerks send it back. *** me highly.

Junior1942
10-25-2012, 06:14 PM
http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1057550

http://www.drinkupny.com/Dutch_s_Spirits_Peach_Brandy_p/s1196.htm

Try either of these, the second being my choice for a hearty smooth sip.I just ordered a bottle from your bottom link. Thanks!!

Junior1942
11-17-2012, 03:42 PM
After reading that, I suspect a fellow could add a quartered peach and a 1/2 cup of sugar to a liter of E & J Brandy and make a good peach brandy.I just added a 4 oz cup of mixed fruit, juice and all, to a fifth of E & J Brandy. It's in the fridge in a quart container. I'll shake it every day and give it a taste test in 7 days. Results on Nov 24 or 25!

Tom-ADC
11-17-2012, 04:22 PM
May try that but not with E & J maybe Christian Bros, E&J just to rough for me.

Wayne Smith
11-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Don't keep it in the fridge. That slows down the flavor transfer greatly. It will taste better next year when you can get some fresh fruit and do the same thing.

**oneshot**
11-17-2012, 07:54 PM
You should really enjoy the "Dutch" reading your other posts.

Junior1942
11-18-2012, 08:15 AM
You should really enjoy the "Dutch" reading your other posts.I'm saving a taste of my "Dutch" for a camping trip, which might start today if I feel well as the day progresses. The tent & its wood heater are erected and ready, and the campfire is the same. Basically, all I have to do is fill my ice chest and go. But I've had flu-like symptoms for a few days, so I've stayed close to the heater in my living room.