PDA

View Full Version : Flying brass???

abunaitoo
10-24-2012, 05:10 AM
We're having problem with flying brass for all these black guns.
Trying to write up something, to submit to the city, to help them draw up a new rule.
Would like some ideas from what rules, if any, some of you out there might have at the range you shoot at.
If you could post any range rules you have at your range, it would help.

DukeInFlorida
10-24-2012, 06:19 AM
Oh.... so YOU'RE **THAT** guy............

As soon as people figure out that there's money in scrap brass, they'll start picking it up, and selling it. It;s worth more than pop bottles. Nobody needs more or new rules.

Brass scrap from .223 brass sells here for about $1.80 a pound.

Put up a free sign that says, "FREE MONEY!"

SMCCORD
10-24-2012, 06:37 AM
At most local public ranges here you have to shoot a revolver or a single shot/bolt gun if you want to keep your brass. There are atleast two guys that bring buckets and a small broom and dust pan. They don't shoot, but they will wait untill you leave the bench and then the sweep up everything.

The indoor and most out door private ranges have a "lost brass" policy. If it leaves the gun it belongs to the range. They will sell you small bags of fired brass, though.
The first/last time I visited one of the indoor ranges a enthusiastic range master informed me of this rule after dumping a cylinder full of spent .38's in my range bag. I haven't been back in years.

frkelly74
10-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Yeah, just pick it up and count it a windfall. Or are you talking about your neighbors hot brass going down your collar.

Jim
10-24-2012, 09:20 AM
Trying to write up something, to submit to the city, to help them draw up a new rule.
Would like some ideas from what rules, if any, some of you out there might have at the range you shoot at.

For lack of details, I'm guessing you're refering to people getting hit with brass. That's the nature of the beast. All automatics fling brass.

If a rule is instituted, who's going to enforce the rule? And if the rule is violated, what will the penalty be?

I've been hit in the head with brass from a legal full auto 'black gun'. I didn't appreciate the guy not letting me know it was coming, but he had as much right to the bench as I did.

My suggestion is to speak to the shooter to your left courtiously and respectfully and work out an agreement that would suit all parties concerned. It's been my experience that that works a lot better than a sign that nobody reads.

higgins
10-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Figure out some way to attach movable/removable shields to the right edge of each bench to deflect flying brass. I don't know of such a shield. It could be nothing more than a piece of thin plywood set in a groove or bracket attached to the edge of the bench. That's the very reason I claim the leftmost available bench when I arrive.

Rules only apply to people who would be courteous enough to take care of it themselves without a rule. Rules don't seem to keep people from being discourteous or downright dangerous unless the club is willing to revoke memberships, and clubs I'm personally familiar with don't seem to be willing to do so for whatever reason.

WILCO
10-24-2012, 10:38 AM
Oh.... so YOU'RE **THAT** guy............

Yep. Clearly he believes in government. Sad.......Wait till the government shuts down the range due to injuries from flying brass and complaints of flying brass. Never heard of a government shutting down ranges unjustly.

chboats
10-24-2012, 10:41 AM
At our range the target stands are made of wood that is taken out to the desired range and placed in a holder. That same stand if leaned against the right side of a shooters bench makes an effective brass deflector. Most shooters are courteous enough put the shield up them selves or if ask will put it up. A simple 2' by 4' piece of plywood should work just great. No rule has been necessary.

Carl

eveready
10-24-2012, 10:49 AM
At my range they have installed screening between the benches to keep brass from hitting the shooter at the next bench. It works well and the brass just drops down on the floor in a pile.

2wheelDuke
10-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Last time I went to the county-owned range, they had PVC frames with mesh/net stretched out to deflect brass hung between the positions. They were built so that they hooked over the ceiling joist, so they could easily be moved around or removed.

They were built by the local boy scout troop as a project for community service.

runfiverun
10-24-2012, 11:48 AM
i wish someone would come fling some ar brass around at my range...
or any other rifle brass for that matter.
all i ever see is 22 lr and sometimes some 9m-40 cal.

oneokie
10-24-2012, 11:58 AM
i wish someone would come fling some ar brass around at my range...
or any other rifle brass for that matter.
all i ever see is 22 lr and sometimes some 9m-40 cal.

You aren't there at the right time. And I feel your pain.

smokeywolf
10-24-2012, 12:20 PM
eveready's got it. 2 or 3 clamps welded to a section of wire screen. That's what they do at the range I go to. Screens clamp to the right side of the benches.

I don't shoot the black guns, and I have been hit by flying brass many times, but please, no more rules.

popper
10-24-2012, 12:21 PM
We got enough rules. Tell the range master to install screens, portable or fixed. If he doesn't it's a cheapskate range. I do have a brass catcher for my rifle, but not pistol. It isn't the 'dreaded black gun', it's the user.

M-Tecs
10-24-2012, 12:41 PM

Does the city own the range? If not it’s none of their business. If they do move the shooting stations further apart or put up dividers. All semi-auto have this issue. Easily solved without more rules.

Ed Barrett
10-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Back in the 60's and 70's, when I was shooting high power, getting hot brass down your neck from an M1 or M14 was part of the game. It sure improved your powers of concentration! The position on the far left was considered a Christmas present.

Artful
10-24-2012, 03:17 PM
pistol brass burns as well - and far left was prefered until I got a Walther P-1 it's only gun I own that is a left flinger.

What's the problem?

If it's hitting other shooters (yourself for example) just make up a screen.
http://i40.servimg.com/u/f40/16/20/27/34/01_bra10.jpg
http://i40.servimg.com/u/f40/16/20/27/34/02_bra10.jpg
http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt173/Steve92002/Shooting/IMG_9694_2.jpg
http://www.cmmshootingsports.com/product_info.php?products_id=41

If your loosing your brass consider something like this
http://elmfg.com/pics/103.jpg
http://elmfg.com/store/brasscatcher.html

If they are leaving it behind and your slipping on it - broom it up and pick it up and sell it either as scrap or here for cheap (HINT)
http://www.once-fired-brass.com/?refresh=true

Love Life
10-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Really? This is what it has come to. You get hit with flying brass and want the city to come in a make a special rule? Blue falcon swooping in from high.

Ask your range to put up screens. If it is a private range or club then it shouldn't be that big of a deal. If it is a city owned range, they may just shut it down.

rockrat
10-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Many people at our range just hang a ball cap over the scoped semi's. It deflects/catches the spent brass. Otherwise, a screen deflector as stated above would work well.

At our range, once brass gets thrown in the barrel, its fair game, or if the range is empty and someone didn't police their brass, icing on the cake.

Only had one guy , once, that was picking up brass, next to people that were shooting. He started picking up my 458 Socom brass, so I turned to him and told him to get his hands off my brass, don't appreciate you stealing. He mumbled that it was his fired brass, so I said lets go see if you are shooting a 458 Socom!! He dropped my brass and started to leave. Told him that many on the range would consider what he was doing, as theft, and the sherriff would be called. He and his buds packed up shortly afterwards and left.

Otherwise, we don't have problems with people picking up others brass. Others will help you pick yours up and if we are shooting the same round, will just split what we pick up.

runfiverun
10-24-2012, 04:12 PM
You aren't there at the right time. And I feel your pain.

i can almost see the range from my place, could if it weren't in a gully.
but i can hear what is being shot,and how fast, from the puter screen or anywhere in the house, if i open a window.
the issue is even during the sight in for deer/elk season everybody [well,well over 95%] takes thier brass with them.
trust me i check.
sometimes everyday.
maybe that's why our little town has 2 gun shops [one doesn't even sell ammo just components]
the gas station sells factory ammo,i have seen the same three boxes of win 7x57 there for the last 8 years.

starmac
10-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Seems to me, that if flying brass was bothering me, I would do something about it way before a rule (law) came to mind.

I am lucky as I have never had to shoot at a range, and am not into shooting competitions, so I am usually by myself or with friends. But with all I read on here about distances driving to a range, cost of shooting at a range, no help running range fund raisers, membership costs, range closings, etc. I would never think about coming up with city rules or asking the range to come up with a solution.

abunaitoo
10-24-2012, 07:16 PM
The range is a city run, public range. Shoot free of charge.
Only place for the public to legally shoot here.
The arrangment of the shooting stations makes it hard to put up any kind of solid barrier. Screens would take away at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the shooting benches. Over crowded as it is, and this would not be good.
City budget is so small, that any new improvements would be out of the question.
Section of the roof has been missing for almost a year.
We don't want to make this a safety issue. If it becomes a safety issue, the city may just close the range, untill a solution is implemented.
With this city, it could take forever and a year. If ever.

Many of us "responsible" shooters have made our own screens, or nets, to keep our brass from hitting our neighbors. Many have bought AR brass catchers. They don't work on AK's.
Problem is more noticeable because of the many new shooters that don't think it could cause an injury.
Most of the new shooters here don't even know how to properly handle/opperate the firearm the just bought.
All they know about firearms is what they learned from TV or video games.
They spend over $1000.00 on a AR, with as many add-on's as possible. Then shoot the cheapest steel case ammo they can find.
Never could understand that.
Problem is not only centerfire shells. Even a .22 shell hitting an eye could be a problem.

I've heard lots of comments about "it's just part of shooting"
I'm guessing these people don't care if others get burned, and scared, from their hot brass.
I've got a few burn marks from hot brass on my arm.
Friend of mine has a scar on his neck.
Since it's a city park and a public range, lately I've noticed lots of families coming out to teach/learn/have fun shooting.
Don't think "it's just part of shooting" would be what a father would want to hear when his young son or daughter get a burn on their face from a flying shell.
To me, all responsibles shooters would be responsible for the safety of others around them.

I'm looking for anyone who shoots at a range, that has something posted, or somekind of written rule addressing this.
It would seem to me that responsible shooters would not have to be told to keep their brass from hitting others. But that's just me.

JeffinNZ
10-24-2012, 07:42 PM
If you want to see brass fly get a Swedish 6.5X55 Ljungman AKA the finger slicer. Those rifles chuck brass further than any I have seen.

starmac
10-24-2012, 07:46 PM

From the sounds of your first post compared to your last post, there is a chance you will lose your only place to shoot.

The city might just decide if burning brass has got out of hand, that the place is too much of a liability.

Is there no way the responsible shooters that don't want their neighbors brass can't hang up some type of portable screen, were talking an inch between the two of you.

M-Tecs
10-24-2012, 08:41 PM
In situations like this self-help goes a long way to keeping the range open. One of the city ranges that I use fell on a state of disrepair. The city wouldn’t maintain it and they were using this a reason to shut it down. A group of us volunteered to repair and maintain it. We installed concrete shooting tables and built a cover on our own dime. The nicer it became the more people started to maintain and improve it. Today it’s a very nice range.

Screens would take away at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the shooting benches. Cheap screen frames can be made from 1” x 1” or 2” x 2”. You don’t have 2 inches between shooters?

Many have bought AR brass catchers. They don't work on AK's.

http://www.catchyourbrass.com/select-your-rifle/ak-47

http://www.brasscatchers.com/store/brasscatcher.html

http://www.thecountryshed.com/brass_catchers.htm

runfiverun
10-24-2012, 09:51 PM
give them thier own area.
just a hand written sign pointing to the right side of the benches.
saying semi auto area or sumthin like that.
even if someone takes it down.
after a bunch of them start just going over there they will all start going in that area.
the 5 monkey syndrome.

Dean D.
10-24-2012, 10:08 PM
In situations like this self-help goes a long way to keeping the range open. One of the city ranges that I use fell on a state of disrepair. The city wouldn’t maintain it and they were using this a reason to shut it down. A group of us volunteered to repair and maintain it. We installed concrete shooting tables and built a cover on our own dime. The nicer it became the more people started to maintain and improve it. Today it’s a very nice range.

THIS! Step up, organize some help and git'r done! ;)

(Don't forget to slap a Cast Boolits sticker up here and there) [smilie=s:

220swiftfn
10-25-2012, 01:39 AM
pistol brass burns as well - and far left was prefered until I got a Walther P-1 it's only gun I own that is a left flinger.

What's the problem?

http://i609.photobucket.com/albums/tt173/Steve92002/Shooting/IMG_9694_2.jpg
http://www.cmmshootingsports.com/product_info.php?products_id=41

If your loosing your brass consider something like this
http://elmfg.com/pics/103.jpg
http://elmfg.com/store/brasscatcher.html

If they are leaving it behind and your slipping on it - broom it up and pick it up and sell it either as scrap or here for cheap (HINT)
http://www.once-fired-brass.com/?refresh=true

Hmm..... looks like that brass shute is just about right to stuff a .50 cal ammo can under!!!!

And a big "duh" to myself about that tripod with the catch net (I should have thought about that by now......)

Dan

bruce drake
10-25-2012, 02:19 AM
That is really well thought-out setup for the brass catchers. I also was thinking that the chute just needed an ammo can underneath it to collect the brass and it would be a perfect setup.

Bruce

bruce drake
10-25-2012, 02:22 AM
If you want to see brass fly get a Swedish 6.5X55 Ljungman AKA the finger slicer. Those rifles chuck brass further than any I have seen.

You should watch a CETME chuck brass! About as bad as a Ljungman without the chance of nipping your finger during loading!

Bruce

WILCO
10-25-2012, 08:02 AM
The arrangment of the shooting stations makes it hard to put up any kind of solid barrier. Screens would take away at least 1/3 to 1/2 of the shooting benches. Over crowded as it is, and this would not be good.
City budget is so small, that any new improvements would be out of the question.
We don't want to make this a safety issue. If it becomes a safety issue, the city may just close the range, untill a solution is implemented.

Many of us "responsible" shooters have made our own screens, or nets, to keep our brass from hitting our neighbors. Many have bought AR brass catchers. They don't work on AK's.
Problem is more noticeable because of the many new shooters that don't think it could cause an injury.
Most of the new shooters here don't even know how to properly handle/opperate the firearm the just bought.
They spend over $1000.00 on a AR, with as many add-on's as possible. Then shoot the cheapest steel case ammo they can find.
Problem is not only centerfire shells. Even a .22 shell hitting an eye could be a problem.

I'm guessing these people don't care if others get burned, and scared, from their hot brass.
Since it's a city park and a public range, lately I've noticed lots of families coming out to teach/learn/have fun shooting.
Don't think "it's just part of shooting" would be what a father would want to hear when his young son or daughter get a burn on their face from a flying shell.
To me, all responsibles shooters would be responsible for the safety of others around them.

I'm looking for anyone who shoots at a range, that has something posted, or somekind of written rule addressing this.
It would seem to me that responsible shooters would not have to be told to keep their brass from hitting others. But that's just me.

Come up with a plan to privatize the range, charge a membership fee, make the rules, create a family friendly shooting enviroment, generate revenue for the city and solve your own problems. It's not an easy task, but it's better than waiting for the government to save you. Ask any Katrina survivor how that worked out.

Artful
10-25-2012, 09:06 AM

YOUR NOT THINKING OUTSIDE THE BOX - IT DOESN"T TAKE THAT MUCH ROOM AWAY FROM A SHOOTING TABLE

YOU DO KNOW YOU CAN DONATE TO THE CITY AND IT WOULD BE A TAX WRITEOFF

SHOULD HAVE A MINIMUM SAFTETY COURSE ALREADY IN PLACE - TALK TO YOUR RANGE OFFICER

HEARING AND EYE PROTECTION SHOULD BE MANDATORY FOR SHOOTERS AND SPECTATORS

AS DO WE ALL - WEAR A LONG SLEEVE SHIRT WITH A TIGHT COLLAR

I'm looking for anyone who shoots at a range, that has something posted, or some kind of written rule addressing this.

YEP, IT'S JUST YOU

GUN Specific - see my previous link
http://elmfg.com/pics/117.jpg

You could buy a few and require their use but it won't be popular!
screens are a better option -

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b64/16gauge/brasscatcher1.jpg

Examples of Standard NRA rules
http://www.mcsm.org/rngrules.html

1. All Federal, state, and local firearm laws must be obeyed.

2. All firearms not on the firing line must be holstered, or unloaded with their action open and the magazine removed, or unloaded and encased.

3. All shooters must pass the NRA RANGE TEST, and complete and sign the NRA RANGE RELEASE, WAIVER, HOLD HARMLESS, INDEMNIFICATION AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK AGREEMENT before using the NRA Range.

4. Owners of Class III firearms must be in possession of any special permits or paperwork required by law.

5. Food, beverages, and smoking are prohibited on the range. (Smoking is prohibited throughout the building.)

6. No muzzleloading firearms may be fired on the NRA Range.

7. All calibers of pistols may be fired.

8. Rifles up to and including .460 Weatherby Magnum caliber may be fired.

9. Shotgun slugs may be fired. No buckshot or birdshot may be fired unless authorized by the Range Officer for a specific course.

10. Tracer, armor piercing, and steel core ammunition are prohibited.

11. Commands issued by Range Officers and Range Personnel must be obeyed immediately and without question.

12. When the command "Cease Fire" is given:

Stop shooting IMMEDIATELY

Remove your finger from the trigger

Keep the gun pointed in a safe direction

Wait for further instructions from the Range Officer

13. No one other than NRA Range personnel may go forward of the firing line unless authorized or instructed to do so by the Range Officer.

14. When the line is declared "CLEAR":

Standard practice is to require ears/eye protection to shoot.

http://www.dccsafety.com/Rules.pdf
http://www.dsrpc.net/rangesafetyruleswebsite.pdf
http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp

for range itself
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/destinations/shooting_ranges/outdoor_shooting_best_practices.pdf

Kraschenbirn
10-25-2012, 10:23 AM
You should watch a CETME chuck brass! About as bad as a Ljungman without the chance of nipping your finger during loading!

Bruce

Yeah, a shooting buddy has one but he's a truly considerate fellow...won't even take it out of the case if someone is shooting on the bench immediately to his right. Fluted chamber on that thing really chews up the brass, too...much worse than his H&K.

Bill

DRNurse1
10-25-2012, 10:32 AM
The Boy Scouts have the right idea: Be Prepared. I use my gun box to deflect most of the brass headed my way and can add a metal mesh screen to cover additional area if needed. Indoor ranges I find some brass deflects off the ceiling and drops on me so I wear a brimmed hat. Then I have a net to catch my brass, .22 included, because this range chicken thing is getting tougher as I age.

The operative idea here should be: "I assume the risk when I enter a range" rather than "someone should do something about that."

Just my $0.02.

captain-03
10-25-2012, 10:39 AM

This is exactly what needs to be done!! Git-R-Done -- and while you are at it, fix that roof!!

Four-Sixty
10-25-2012, 10:49 AM
They kicked out the range rats who I believe were stealing brass from other shooters earlier this year. I've got quite lucky the last couple of months. I would say I've found about 800 rounds of various brass. My best find was when I came to the range right after a guy dumped all his 38 special 357 mag because he was done shooting his single shot rifle.

km101
10-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Just set up on the left end of the line. Dont worry about more rules. We have too may rules regulating everything we do now. And most of the mall ninjas wont obey the new rule anyway. :)

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-25-2012, 12:59 PM

What's the problem?

i really like that screen and brass collection , a bucket under the spot where the brass tumbles out is all that is missing

most places i have been that have dividers have solid dividers so that the revolver guys don't spray the people next to them with hot bits

last place i was at had 5/8 plywood with sheet metal for making air ducts on it

JeffinNZ
10-25-2012, 05:36 PM
And this is why I shoot single shots. :-)

starmac
10-25-2012, 06:21 PM
We have a public range, with a small covered portion, but not for most of it. There are NO rules NO range officer or nothing else. I suppose the borough does empty the trash barrels, but that is probably the extent of it. I sometimes go there in the summer, and pickup brass, the place is paved in it, but most has been stepped on to the point of not being usable. When I do this it is usually between midnight and 2 or 3 in the morning, so I don't have to put up with the crowd, the same if I decide to shoot there.

I don't know how a free public range would have a range officer or enforce rules.

shotman
10-25-2012, 06:35 PM
they have a clothes dry thing at the dollar stores it will sit up on its side if you side the rails in makes a pocket . about $6 and is about 30x30 in

colt 357
10-25-2012, 08:38 PM
I build a 4x6 frame using 1" pcv pipe and some elbows and tees. The legs are put on using tees not glued so they come off. zip tied some minnow net to it to catch my brass for reloading and to keep for hitting my neighbor with brass. I need to make a wing for it using the rest of the minnow net. I well use some more tees and elbows so it fold in on itself.

ElDorado
10-25-2012, 09:51 PM
This is a simple solution. The cardboard box carries the sand bags and tri-pods to the bench, then acts as a brass catcher while shooting.

If somebody's brass is hitting you, ask them nicely to help you out. They're usually unaware that they're causing a problem.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb364/ElDoradoJeff/ForumPics/Boxes.jpg

Fredx10sen
10-25-2012, 10:13 PM

EXACTLY! :holysheep Real hard to find them all ;(
Want to add that my FN 49 throws those 8mm every where as well :(

SciFiJim
10-25-2012, 10:18 PM
I just figure that any brass that hits me becomes mine. After all, I am the last person to touch it. When at a public range, I will generally ask the other shooters nearby if they reload, and if not, may I have the brass they would leave behind. I have better luck at the handgun ranges than the rifle ranges.

abunaitoo
10-26-2012, 05:58 AM
This is a city run, public park. So far, no charge to shoot there.
No charge to use the tennis courts, basketball courts, soccer, football, baseball fields, pools, gyms or any of the other public parks.
We do have to pay to golf. $11.00 a round.
All parks have a crew of city workers.

Being a city run park, no repairs can be done without it first going out to bid. Freebies are not allowed.
When the wind blew off a part of the roof. The city closed the range down untill the roof could be secured.
Some of the shooters went and removed the flaping parts, and nailed down the parts that were loose.
Kind of got into some problems with the city for that.

A few of our clubs were planing to fix the roof. For free. City put a stop to it.
City would rather pay someone to fix it, than have it done for free.
Any donations made to the range would not necessarily go to the range. All donation go into a general fund. From there some bureaucrat decides where the monies are needed the most.
It took 5 years for the light bulb in the restroom to be replaced.
They just shut down two of the three bathrooms.

The firing line is set-up with a bench, an open slot for standing/prone shooting, then another bench, another open slot...... If I remember correct there are 64 benches.
Range master is against anything between the benches blocking his view of any of the shooters.
Range I use most of the time is rifle only. There is a pistol only range.
Hot brass hitting the next shooter si not as big a problem as with the rifle side.

We have almost no range rules.
Eye and ear protection for shooters.
Firearms must be transported in a commercially made case.
Firearms, cased and un-cased at the bench only.
No un-cased firearms behind the firing line.
5 rounds max in the firearm.
No rapid fire.
Firearms must always be pointed down range.
Shoot at targets only. No cans, balls, bottles, or anyother non-target targets.
All shooters must sign in.

There wasn't a real problem untill about three years ago. That's when the shooting population boomed. (I wonder why)
I shoot mostly on Sundays.
Before I never had to wait for a bench. These days, the wait is about 1/2 hour.
Before most of the shooters were bolt action hunters or vintage firearm shooters.
These day majority are black gun. Spray and pray type of shooting.
Which is why the problem of hot brass has come up.

Our city government, as a whole, are anti-gun. Same with the state government.
Over 90% damacrats.
The few friends we have in government have been working hard keeping the range open.
News media is just as bad.
They report, and distort, on anything that makes the range look bad.
I know some day they will find some reason to close the only range we have.
Unlike in the states, we don't have much open range to go to and shoot.
We don't really have much hunting areas left anymore.
There's a push to turn this into a smoke free state.
I'm sure their looking for ways to make it a gun free state also.

wallenba
10-26-2012, 11:58 AM
My range has drop curtains available. They are made of a tough fine mesh, rolled up around a closet hanger rod. You slip it through a couple of very large eye-bolts mounted overhead, and unroll it. Weights on the bottom edge keep it from blowing around.
Nothing is more distracting while shooting than having a very hot case land in a shirt pocket. Or God
forbid a womans cleavage! Seen it!

Superfly
10-26-2012, 02:37 PM
did you help get the offending case out of the womens cleavage??

popper
10-26-2012, 04:26 PM
You have the damnocrats cause they got voted in. Going to get worse when BO moves there. Hadn't heard of the ball cap idea before - maybe you could get your club to sell them at the entrance with instructions and a demo. Or Tee shirts with 'I don't like to get hit with your brass' on it? I was doing fine last week til some yokel with a badge on his belt and 'instructor' on his tee started flinging his 7.62 brass at everybody. He wasn't a very good shot either!

wallenba
10-26-2012, 04:46 PM
did you help get the offending case out of the womens cleavage??

No...her hubby was there, and he had a gun.:smile:

Artful
10-27-2012, 09:52 AM
This is a city run, public park. So far, no charge to shoot there.
No charge to use the tennis courts, basketball courts, soccer, football, baseball fields, pools, gyms or any of the other public parks.
We do have to pay to golf. $11.00 a round.
All parks have a crew of city workers.

Being a city run park, no repairs can be done without it first going out to bid.
Freebies are not allowed.
When the wind blew off a part of the roof.
The city closed the range down untill the roof could be secured.
Some of the shooters went and removed the flaping parts, and nailed down the parts that were loose.
Kind of got into some problems with the city for that.

Who is above the person in charge of City Parks and Recreation(who sounds like someone well versed in CYA and territory protectionism)?
You need to invite this person out shooting with some people with black rifles
and after a short period of unstopped brass throwing put up a screen to demonstrate the need. And talk to him about community pride of ownership and how you would like the clubs to be able to help upgrade without cost to the city in these hard economic times.

A few of our clubs were planing to fix the roof. For free. City put a stop to it.
City would rather pay someone to fix it, than have it done for free.
Any donations made to the range would not necessarily go to the range.
All donation go into a general fund.
From there some bureaucrat decides where the monies are needed the most.
It took 5 years for the light bulb in the restroom to be replaced.
They just shut down two of the three bathrooms.

You also need to cultivate someone in the local media to get these things in the public eye - there is NO reason it takes 5 years to change a light bulb. And make a point to cultivate the elected officials - that's where the pressure can be put on the hired guns.

The firing line is set-up with a bench, an open slot for standing/prone shooting, then another bench, another open slot...... If I remember correct there are 64 benches.
Range master is against anything between the benches blocking his view of any of the shooters.

Sounds like needs to move his observation position and make sure whatever you use as a deflector gives visiblity through.

Range I use most of the time is rifle only. There is a pistol only range.
Hot brass hitting the next shooter si not as big a problem as with the rifle side.

We have almost no range rules.
Eye and ear protection for shooters.
Firearms must be transported in a commercially made case.
Firearms, cased and un-cased at the bench only.
No un-cased firearms behind the firing line.
5 rounds max in the firearm.
No rapid fire.
Firearms must always be pointed down range.
Shoot at targets only. No cans, balls, bottles, or anyother non-target targets.
All shooters must sign in.

There wasn't a real problem untill about three years ago.
That's when the shooting population boomed. (I wonder why)

Are you referring to election of Barack Hussein Obama II?
Or just general Government interference in shooting sports

I shoot mostly on Sundays.
Before I never had to wait for a bench. These days, the wait is about 1/2 hour.
Before most of the shooters were bolt action hunters or vintage firearm shooters.
These day majority are black gun. Spray and pray type of shooting.
Which is why the problem of hot brass has come up.
You know back when I was a range officer I noticed timing was everything, on a day you always had a time period when it was slow (except for sight in days). You might try adjusting your shooting times - before church - late afternoon - lunch time - it can make a real difference.

Our city government, as a whole, are anti-gun.
Same with the state government.
Over 90% damacrats.
The few friends we have in government have been working hard keeping the range open.
News media is just as bad.
They report, and distort, on anything that makes the range look bad.

Have you actually talked to the sports reporter? We did that, had got him out shooting 22's and he started reporting on match results Junior Rifle team then we worked him up to reporting on sillywet matches we had.

I know some day they will find some reason to close the only range we have.
Unlike in the states, we don't have much open range to go to and shoot.
We don't really have much hunting areas left anymore.
There's a push to turn this into a smoke free state.
I'm sure their looking for ways to make it a gun free state also.

You know even a lot of democrat's own guns, and while some are take away the black gun just don't even think about taking my gun - if you start getting them to talk to each other it can do wonders about the power of the people. We used to have shoot where each specialty club set up to let other people try their guns and sport - sort of a round robin where you came out and shot one round of trap, then go to archery then to rifle range then horse shoe then back to pistol range and we had a BBQ then let them go to whichever they wanted while we tabulated their score cards and then gave out some results and gave some stuff away to the "winners" but everyone seemed to be a winner. Education and involvement seem to help most in a situation like yours.

WILCO
10-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Unlike in the states, we don't have much open range to go to and shoot. We don't really have much hunting areas left anymore.

Life is a bunch of choices. I'd move to the states where there are more options and plenty of places to shoot.

starmac
10-27-2012, 01:14 PM
I have never been to or even had the desire to go to Hawaii, but am sure there is not a lot of places to hunt or shoot.
Hawaii is a very popular vacation destination for alaskans, and I have met more than one who goes there to hunt hogs. I always give them a hard time about flying to the land of hula girls and grass skirts to hunt hogs.. lol

a.squibload
10-29-2012, 05:46 PM
At our range someone thoughtfully swept up a bunch
of Starline 44 mag brass & left it in the trash barrel.
Of course you know where it is now.

There's enough room between tables I've never had
a flying brass problem.

KCcactus
11-03-2012, 06:44 PM
One of my last trips to a public range, I had a guy next to me shooting a 9mm that bounced a couple of cases off my head. He was shooting pretty slow and most of his shots hit the ground way in front of the target. One of his cases got stuck between my sunglasses frame and my temple. At that point, I got kind of irritated. I got out my Redhawk 44 mag and some very stout 300 gr loads. I waited until he got settled on the rest and lined up for his next shot. Just before he reached for the trigger, I touched off a round. Man, you should have seen him jump. He settled his nerves and tried to line up again. Just before he was ready, I fired another one. He jumped again. After 6 shots like this, I reloaded. He packed up his stuff and left.

1Shirt
11-03-2012, 07:44 PM
When the first one hit me, I would have told the guy that his brass was a problem, and would apprecate it if he would move or shoot something else etc.
Most of the time in my experiance that would have been adequate. Would resort to your tactic only after the guy refused, and became a total butt!
1Shirt!