PDA

View Full Version : Anyone knowledgable about Massy Furgeson Rear Ends?

Muddy Creek Sam
10-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Howdy all,

Got a size large Problem, Back hoe rear end went Crunch and locked up today. Got to get it back up and going.

Help & Thanks,

Sam :D

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-23-2012, 07:02 PM
I assume it's like a bull gear in a tractor.
If so, when that goes out, the tractor is usually scrap.
Meaning the parts and labor will outweigh the price of
another similar tractor.

oneokie
10-23-2012, 07:24 PM
Could be one or more of several things. The pin for the differential spider gears may have come unpinned and allowed the shaft to slip out and hit the pinion gear. A pin in the planatery reduction gear set may have done the same.

You will need to remove the seat and the differential cover to check the ring and pinion gears and the spider gears, axle gears and the pin that retains the spider gears. IIRC, the planeatary reduction gears are on the outboard end of the axles.

Boerrancher
10-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Oneokie has given you the best advice as a starter. Once you find the problem though, you will have to pull the entire rear end apart bearings, seals, all the oil has to come out and the entire diff needs to be wiped clean, along with each and every piece. Examine each gear closely as you wipe them off. if there is any damage or excessive wear it will have to be replaced. There can be no grit or metal pieces parts running loose when it goes back together. Replace any and everything broken with new are good used parts. Don't try to weld and repair any damaged parts it will only cost you more money in the long run. Also you will have to replace all of the bearings and seals. There is no way to know if you have gotten all of the metal and grit out of the bearings. On those Masseys one little piece of grit will ruin your whole week. We won't discuss how I know this.

Best wishes,

Joe

JIMinPHX
10-23-2012, 10:23 PM
I've been very surprised at how bad the parts inside a tractor can be & still work. They ain't like sewing machines or typewriters. They also generally are not that complicated inside, at least that is true of the vintage ones that I used to work on when I was a kid. If you crack that thing open & have a look inside, you should be able to see what is going on. I have been amazed at how available parts for older tractors are. It certainly should be worth taking a look.

smoked turkey
10-23-2012, 11:04 PM
I have had good experience with buying parts for my old Massey at a tractor salvage yard similar to those everywhere for automobiles. I think you might be able to do a search on internet once you determine what you might need. They will ship the needed part to you so you won't even need to go there. I recommend you go to the dealer and get a shop manual for your unit. They are very detailed on what to do to fix certain things. Be careful. Everything for those is HEAVY.

x101airborne
10-24-2012, 08:07 AM
My wife used to have a massive furry rear end. Then I held her down and got the duct-tape!!!

Philngruvy
10-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Ouch!!!!

pmer
10-24-2012, 08:44 AM
What model and year is the tractor? Does one tire turn or both tires stuck? Does it have a manual tranny or is it a hydro?

Sorry to hear about the trouble.

Hickory
10-24-2012, 08:54 AM
My wife used to have a massive furry rear end. Then I held her down and got the duct-tape!!!

:groner::violin:

Reg
10-24-2012, 09:12 AM
Massy's tend to be simple and basic. First, get a manual. There should be visual access somewhere through the top and sometimes on the rear. You might be able to see what happened from there but at any rate you will wind up opening things up so try to get it where you have some way of lifting. Things are going to be heavy. It could be something as simple as a failed bearing in a final drive jamming the works. Generally it will come down to one or two things causing the jamming effect but unless it has just been flogged to death, you can usually get it back running without replacing the whole rear end. Lots of parts out there even for some of the older units. Sorry to say though, the parts are not cheap.

Just Duke
10-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Sounds like spider gears to me. https://gulfsouthequip.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=438&cat=Rear+End+SIDE+GEAR+%26+SPIDER+GEAR
Is that the one with a Perkins 4 cylinder?
Wish I was closer. I'd come help you.

Farmall
10-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Let me know the model. I was a M-F mechanic (ashamed to admit that!) for several years. Lots of issues with planetary drive failures and axle bearings, but really need to know what model you are dealing with, in order to help.
Prepare for some serious damage to your wallet, I am afraid. MF parts have always been high priced, and only gotten worse since the AGCO takeover. Lots of stuff has gone obselete in the last few years too, sorry to say.

GRUMPA
10-25-2012, 05:10 PM
I would suggest going to http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/forum.php? and sign up and ask that question there. I've been a member there for a long time and have yet to see anyone that writes an issue not get an educated response that generally produces results.

skeet1
10-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Muddy Creek Sam
I purchased my Massy Furgeson 65 from Sturgeons Corner In Meno, Oklahoma. They have all kinds of old tractor parts, new and used and I have come to know them well. What ever parts you may need I'm sure they would have them and would ship to you. Their phone number is 1-800-345-4456.

Ken