PDA

View Full Version : Stuffing

trying2learn
10-23-2012, 05:05 PM
I saw a video the other day where a guy was loading 30 cal cartridges and was putting pillow stuffing in to "fill the space" my question and i couldn't find it in the lymans manual. Is this really needed? The reason that was given was because if you didn't it would cause ftf and really bad accuarcy. Is this something i need to do. And how much do i add or figure out how much to add. Granted this was on youtube but it raised issues that i couldn't find in my manuals.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

fourarmed
10-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Do a search for "Dacron filler." This has been discussed at length on the board many times. Some powders do better with filler, some don't.

geargnasher
10-23-2012, 05:44 PM
There's a sticky on Dacron and other fillers somewhere on the forum. Read and understand before doing and ruining your chamber. Done right, it can help some loads. Done wrong, can wreck your gun.

The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 3rd ed. has some loads using Dacron for some applications.

Gear

runfiverun
10-23-2012, 05:47 PM
lyman used to have loads with a "wad of dacron" in them but using it properly is different.
the filler MUST touch both the powder and the boolit.
it don't need to be packed in there but you have to have enough to hold the powder in place.
use the same amount for each cartridge.
and work up the load with it in the case from the start don't just add it to the load.

trying2learn
10-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Ok. That explains why i didn't see it. I never woulf have looked for that nams. Thanks.

gungadoug
10-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Uh-- I did ring the chamber in a 9x72 using Dacron! I will stay away from it. Likely I didn't get enough in- maybe has to be packed pretty tight? Kinda spooky stuff in my book.
Doug

trying2learn
10-23-2012, 08:39 PM
From what i understand it can helo accuracy. But i plan on not ueing it to start with and see where that takes me.

runfiverun
10-23-2012, 09:59 PM
it has to be slightly compressed by the boolit.
the wad of dacron is what get's you into trouble.
it will get pushed forward by the primers blast and pump air in front of it behind the stationary boolit.
i'll let you figure the rest.

trying2learn
10-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Yea i am just going to not use it for the first few see how everything works. Then if it is needed down the road i will worry about it. From what i am reading if everything is not oerfect bad things can hapoen quickly.

Larry Gibson
10-23-2012, 10:52 PM
The "sticky" is filler at; http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=109280

Lots of good information on dacron as a filler in that thread.

Larry Gibson

grouch
10-24-2012, 11:05 AM
I've tried it several times. So far, it's been counter productive.
Ron

runfiverun
10-24-2012, 12:01 PM
please read the sticky larry posted the link to.
it covers which powders benefit from it, why you would use it,and what it helps with.
there are some other fillers covered in the sticky and the pro's/con's of each one.

trying2learn
10-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Yea i am in the o process of reading it.

DonMountain
10-24-2012, 02:53 PM
After researching this topic here for several months and reading Larry's comments I ended up experimenting with fillers also. In the mid sized 30 calibers and 8mm cartridges using H4895 (7mm Mauser, 30-06, .308 Rem, 7.5 MAS, .303 British, .30-40 Krag, 7.5 Swiss, 8mm Mauser, and etc.), the addition of a 3/4" square piece of 1/4" thick dacron filler gave me more consistant performance all the way around. The rifles all gave much more consistant velocities and weren't position sensitive any more. I also got much smaller groups on the target and eliminated the flyer problem I was having. Now I can sit in a deer stand with the muzzle pointed down without having to tip the rifle up to settle the powder against the primer before firing. I didn't get the same results with the faster pistol powders. Only with the rifle powders from H4895 and slower. So all of my 30 caliber deer cartridges now use H4895 from about 25 to 35 grains and a 3/4 grain chunk of the filler. :cbpour:

runfiverun
10-24-2012, 04:33 PM
that's xactly when they work.
littlegirl or myself posted a trial a few years back on shooting three identical rifles except for bbl length, over the chrono with and without filler.
showing group and velocity changes between each one.

jonk
10-25-2012, 11:37 AM
I"ve tried dacron, Pufflon, dryer lint, and the ultra fine plastic balls (PSB). So far I get the best results from pufflon if a filler is needed, but not by a whole lot. AND it is fairly pricey.

Honestly for most loads I just use a powder that doesn't need filler.

Filler is mainly needed for light loads of slow to medium powders that don't come near to filling the case.