PDA

View Full Version : Shameless Request

FUBAR 6
10-23-2012, 03:35 PM
OK shameless plug here:

Looking for a place to shoot long distance in the Texas Hill Country-- Kerrville, Fredericksburg, Bandera area.

Almost 29 years in the Military, wounded in Iraq, I'm a very disiplined shooter, always keeping safety first.

Moved here because of the military/VA hospitals, don't know a lot of people in the area...

Would like 300 yards to 1000 yards, I have to use a wheelchair, but I have a 4x4 ATV type chair and I can haul it in a 4x4 truck so some rough terrain is OK.

I'm a member, and regularly shoot at the Bandera Gun Club, but the range is limited to 100 yards -- JM is a great guy and it's a fine place to shoot.

Kerrville has a 300 yard range but that distance only opens about 1 x per month and I think it costs over $10.00 an hour....

I'm unable to travel far without assistance.

Need a place to spend time loading/testing ammo

Wiling to sign a release.

Thanks for any leads/help,

Andy

geargnasher
10-23-2012, 04:14 PM
The Hill Country Shooting Sports Center, located on Cypress Creek road between I-10 and loop 534 in Kerrville has a long range (500 yards) that is open one weekend a month. You will need to complete a brief "safety orientation" to shoot at that range, and demonstrate 1.5 MOA capability for three shots with your weapon system starting at 100 yards and qualifying further in 100-yard increments. Once qualified for a certain distance with each gun (they record SN's to save time with re-qualification next time with the same rifle), you're set. Price is (IIRC) $10/hr to pay for a range officer's time who will supervise and put up all targets.

Sounds a bit restrictive, but trust me it's a good deal, the staff is super-friendly/professional, and the benches are a few yards off of the main, paved, entrance road. If you have any special needs the staff will be more than willing to accomodate you. It doesn't get any easier or safer than what they have going on.

Call Jack or Rose Burch Wed-Sunday from 9-dark, or Sunday noon-dark and they can fill you in. Google their website and phone number. I'll be more than willing to help you out if I can, my PM offer from a while back still stands!

Gear

runfiverun
10-23-2012, 04:26 PM
wow,,, the biggest republic in the world and no place to shoot or hunt without paying more than most peoples wages per hour.
i have covered to 300 yds
and open to 980 yds and all i need is ammo and a rifle.
i have some areas i can shoot a mile or more over flat ground, but i do have to drive 20 minutes to get there.
i think the sub zero winters and snow is a fair trade-off. [in my favor]
do you guy's have to pay to fish there too?

geargnasher
10-23-2012, 05:08 PM
The biggest republic in the world is almost entirely privately owned. There is no public land to speak of except for river access, coastal access, state and national parks. Due to liablility and population density around here there aren't very many long ranges anywhere. Flat ground is also at a premium in this area, the best way to put in a 1,000-yard range would be to shoot from hilltop to hilltop since the tops, at least, are flat and level with each other.

Gear

FUBAR 6
10-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks Gear,

I just move to slow for Kerrville, and I to have a problem paying $10.00 an hour for someone to watch me shoot.

hithard
10-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Man I wish you lived in the Bay Area of California. I could certainly help with your shooting to five hundred yards.

If you are ever in the area, please give as much forward notice as possible. No doubt we could shoot. I would also want to connect you with the best! fishing and crabbing guy's in the world. Their club does a trip or two every year putting veterans just like you in their private boats only to cater to your every need. That alone would be worth a trip, weather pending, it's not the gulf out here on the north coast, but it's not the Bering sea either.

Thank You for your service!

And I wouldn't pay ten bucks an hour to give someone my lead boolits either.

By the way, There isn't any shame in asking. The shame is being able to help and not doing so.

Hell, your just looking for a place to shoot and a new friend.

41mag
10-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Don't know if this will help you out or not, but I pulled this down a while back and kept it for reference,

http://www.texasgunrange.com/

Hope it helps, I know I had a ton of other links like that which had private ranges on it as well, but I lost a ton of links not long ago when I upgraded my browser.

Thanks for your service, and I really wished I could help out more.

Gibson
10-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Wish you were in Kentucky. You could shoot from daylight to dark here at my house. Nothing fancy but it works and we could stretch to 400+ yards, although not exactly perfectly level :)

God bless you, my friend. Thanks for being there. No ********. I mean that.

If you ever get to Western Kentucky, I'll put you up and you can shoot all you want during your stay. We poh, but we 'gots' us a little land.

" . . I have to take a moment and say to you here, in this particular place, what it means to me to be here with you men and women in uniform and with all of those who are not in uniform but who also serve; those who know some of the privations and hardships, the inconveniences -- your families, your wives, your children -- they, too, serve.

There are some among us who say that the military is one of the causes of war. I'm sure they're sincere in their belief, but they're dead wrong to believe that the uniform, that the military could be among the causes of war is like believing that the police department is responsible for crime. You are the peacemakers. The better you perform, the less likely it is that we will ever see combat or hostilities directed against our nation.

You know, many years ago in one of the four wars in my lifetime, an admiral stood on the bridge of a carrier watching the planes take off and out into the darkness, bent on a night combat mission, and then found himself asking with no one there to answer, just himself, to hear his own voice, he said, "Where do we find such men?''

A decade or so ago, after spending an evening with the first returning POWs from Vietnam, Nancy and I found ourselves -- as the evening ended, having heard the stories of horror and brutality by men who had been confined as prisoners of war longer than any other fighting men in America's history -- found ourselves asking that same question, "Where do we find such men?''

We find them where we've always found them when we need them. We find them where we found you -- on the main streets and the farms of America. You are the product of the freest, the fairest, the most generous and humane society that has ever been created by man.

God bless you all, and thank you. Thank you very much."

-President Reagan

Sweetpea
10-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Just curious, have you been to the local VFW hall? I understand it is an active chapter... if you should happen to come across my good friend Bill Wingate there, hit him up for some information. It is my belief that he might know where some private property would be that a person such as yourself could use.

Brandon

FUBAR 6
10-24-2012, 01:38 AM
Wow,

To all a thank you!

To Hithard & Gibson:

I may take you guys up on the offer.

My wife wants to go to the Bay Area and I have family in Hazard and the capital area that I have not visited since I was a kid...

To Sweetpea:

Which VFW does Bill frequent?

Gibson
10-24-2012, 01:55 AM
All you have to do is let me know.

I'll set the ole lady out there with a weed-whacker and get the range extended. Thank God she doesn't read this forum! :lol:

You are more than welcome here

375RUGER
10-24-2012, 01:58 AM
have you tried this site?

http://wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/index.asp

41 mag fan
10-24-2012, 10:33 AM
If you ever come to S In area, I could hook you up on a 200 yrd range at our public range, the gun club i'm wanting to join has a 500 yrd lane, and if needed to stretch out further theres plenty of farmers fields around here where 700-1000 yrds is possible, that just a few feet off the road you could be set up.

Have a friend I work with who moved here from hazard about 2 yrs ago.....says he's related to everyone in the county. I tell him I don't want to know how that one came about!!

FUBAR 6
10-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Austin has some , so does New Braunsfelds, and there is the Pine Valley Benchrest range in Huntsville, but even San Antonio is out of my daily range...

popper
10-24-2012, 12:41 PM
***** 6 - thanks for the service. houston has a 600 but it is pricey, like most all the long ranges in Texas. Yes, you almost have to pay to fish here. Land is also ~$3k/acre, except for what the call dirt in the panhandle.

41 mag fan
10-24-2012, 12:50 PM
***** 6 - thanks for the service. houston has a 600 but it is pricey, like most all the long ranges in Texas. Yes, you almost have to pay to fish here. Land is also ~$3k/acre, except for what the call dirt in the panhandle.

$3k/acre??? thats cheap as compared to here in my rural area. land here, farmland even goes for close to $6700/acre.
We can thank Toyota here for putting in a plant and causing everything to jump in price, and as a kicker 90% of the workers they hire don't live in this county.

go across the river by my parents, which is in rural IL and they just auctioned off 180ac of farmland. it went for $10k/ac

geargnasher
10-24-2012, 12:57 PM
My property is appraised by the county at 12,400/acre for 20 acres plus improvements. I'm bordered on two sides by trailer trash subdivisions. Go figure.

Gear

smokeywolf
10-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Gear, your in a very desirable area. Something I've been pondering. Even though the topo, biome, and climate are really good. Do I want to be where everybody else (subdivisions) wants to be?
Sorry to go off topic.

smokeywolf

felix
10-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Texas trailer folks (4th ward Houston incl.) are rich compared to the same in Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi. The Unemployment, Cobra laws, etc., are terrible in these three states. ... felix

geargnasher
10-24-2012, 11:40 PM
SM, you just need to go farther out than me. 10 miles from town used to be the country, now it's the fringes. Buy enough property to own all you can see, which only takes 50-75 acres in a lot of places around here.

You're right about that Felix, most of the trailer people around here are actually good, hardworking rednecks. I'm plenty redneck, but I have a library, an education, and dislike the smell of burning trash and loud trucks.

*****, I wish I had been able to afford to buy enough land to freely shoot to at least 500 yards, and you'd be more than welcome to come shoot (I'd have a shooting shack, too), but I was lucky to get what I have. All I shoot at home any more are pistols because the neighbors complain. If you were in the San Angelo or Amarillo area there are better long ranges.

Gear

FUBAR 6
10-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Gear:

I wish you could have also, heck wish I could!

I have a friend that will let me shoot in Cotulla, but I have to stay overnight if I go that far....

I would like to go at least every week, or even more often if it were close--Think o fme what you will, I have a lot of time to kill;)

Thanks again,
Andy

john hayslip
10-25-2012, 01:20 PM

Contact me by pm and I'll give you the name of a friend who lives in New Braunfels where he shoots F class. He's been there long enough to know anyplace like you are looking for. The place where he does some of his shooting is on a range at the back of the Dietz gunshop, 421 Range road, NB. I think it is a private lease and not open to public but he can probably accomodate you.

FUBAR 6
10-26-2012, 10:29 AM
PM sent

Thanks,
Andy